I'd like some input on the property. Its found on craigslist and would be quite the move for someone. If any one is interested I'd be happy to be on the ground and get more information in exchange for the opportunity to learn from others who can do this sort of deal.
Does it classification of being on the Historic Register make this task impossible?
Wow! @Steven J. I don't know what's going on here, but this neighborhood appears to be a garden district type neighborhood. The tree lined streets with so much green area already existing, it doesn't make sense to me that the reason to move it is to create green space?
As far as the house goes, it will almost certainly have to be disassembled and moved in parts, unless it's being moved to a spot that's very close by. Even if it was a very short move, I would think it would cost 50k+ to move a house this size any distance.
I would like to see crew from This Old House get in there and restore/update this house as they do so well! But, whatever the new owner's reason is to get rid of it, it seems like being a property on the historic register, this idea wouldn't be an option?
I want to learn about houses to be moved, because you often find situations like this where the owner just wants to do something else with the property and they are willing to give the house away or sell it for very little money. Interesting!
These situations happen more than you think. My brother in-law owns a house moving company. He has a good portfolio of pictures on the site that shows before and after projects.
@Robert Leonard I'm completely with you. I don't get why they are making it more green as its such a prime area. It would make sense to convert move the building and build larger housing there because its a prime college area. But to do green stuff... I don't get it. And like you I'm not sure you can do anything if its on the historic register. I really wish I knew how this worked. It would be so fascinating to see it all in action happen.
@John Beck that sure is fascinating stuff. I have on idea where to begin. I'll consider reaching out to some movers in the state but I highly doubt I'll do anything about it.
This answer probably won't go over well in this crowd, but since I live in a neighborhood and house similar to this one, outside of Seattle, I want to share my opinion (and it's just that...as a homeowner here)
First, in these old neighborhoods, space is already at a premium. When these lots & homes were first created, there were no cars, buses, SUVs, garbage trucks, etc. Horse and buggy's, and in our case, wooden streets to keep the buggy's out of the mud. The houses often are within an arms length of each other and have shared drives, etc. While there may be plenty of greenery from established trees and shrubs, it's often contested, technically (like in my backyard...I need to put up a fence to keep my dogs in, but would have to tear up a 1/4 acre of shared, established hedges, fruit trees, etc to do so - and the neighbors won't go for that). So even though the neighborhood looks very green already, open space is often hard to find. If my neighbor wanted to move their house elsewhere to make a "green space" next door, I'd be ALL for it, lol....which leads me to point two.
Some of us don't WANT high density housing in our neighborhood. We don't WANT apartments next door, or a high-rise, or a mini mart. There are plenty of places for things like that, but a beautiful, historic neighborhood full of character and history is not that place. The world is a big place...we don't need to convert every old house to a multi-family rental just to turn a profit. Sometimes the "art" and history of a community is worth preserving.
That all being said, I live in the historic district, but I am not a member of the historic society, and I made VERY sure to check the restrictions on my house before I bought it. I wanted to make sure I'd at least be able to make my home "mine" after moving in (by painting, changing siding, roof, or making additions, etc). They definitely have restrictions some people wouldn't be able to handle...like asking owners to use muted "historic colors" when repainting, or replacing historic windows with similar wooden sashes instead of cheap vinyl, and using horizontal siding rather than vertical. To me, these are non-issues, and I would comply with them without question...but to some out of neighborhood/city/state flipper, who might want to come in and buy the house two doors down, expect to do a cheap quick-flip and bolt, it might be a deal-breaker....at least I hope so. There's a reason historic neighborhoods are often hard to get into as a homebuyer...it's because there are standards to uphold, that retain the property values.
(Interestingly though, when we first moved to this neighborhood, there was an old Dutch Barn home for sale / move. It was on the market for about a year with no takers. One day, I was on my way to work, and drove by right as a backhoe put its bucket through the roof. It was nothing but rubble by the time I came home. It was then replaced by a 7000+ sqft home on a 10000 sqft lot. We guessed the historic society could be swayed with enough "persuasion"...)
Maybe the owner of the lot owns and lives in the house next door....he doesn't need money, he needs space. :)