Looking for Real Estate Tax Professional

Looking for Real Estate Tax Professional

Property Manager · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 20 votes

Has anyone had experience with one in or around Houston? We live in The Woodlands, TX. Wife still has W-2 job, but I left mine at end of 2023. I did get my real estate license and have a few transactions that I was paid for and opened up a small property management company that I only made about $20K on. We have 9 rental properties and I have been doing taxes myself with Turbo Tax in the past, but wanting to make sure doing correct and then with this year working on mine own with LLC and being able to write things off (like mileage, LLC costs, Real estate license fees, etc), may be more than I want to deal with. We purchased 1 property last year and had to sink in quite a bit for repairs and haven't had to factor that in over the past purchases that were pretty turn key. Thanks!

4Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill HamptonBusiness Member
Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
1y

@Jeff Bateman

Bigger Pockets is a great place to find a real estate tax accountant.

A good real estate accountant can save you thousands of dollars by leveraging entity selection and formation, tax deductions, cost segregations, bonus depreciation and tax planning.

I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation, business taxation, financial planning and tax planning.

You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck.

Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jimmy MarksBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 31 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jeff Bateman:

    Has anyone had experience with one in or around Houston? We live in The Woodlands, TX. Wife still has W-2 job, but I left mine at end of 2023. I did get my real estate license and have a few transactions that I was paid for and opened up a small property management company that I only made about $20K on. We have 9 rental properties and I have been doing taxes myself with Turbo Tax in the past, but wanting to make sure doing correct and then with this year working on mine own with LLC and being able to write things off (like mileage, LLC costs, Real estate license fees, etc), may be more than I want to deal with. We purchased 1 property last year and had to sink in quite a bit for repairs and haven't had to factor that in over the past purchases that were pretty turn key. Thanks!

    Hey Jeff - I use Alma Bates. He’s a neighbor of mine in Spring. He does my personal and multiple LLC returns. You can tell him Jimmy sent you. https://ggoldencpa.com/our-team/
    Emerald Tree Property Management
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    1y

    @Jeff Bateman

    Bigger Pockets is a great place to find a real estate tax accountant.

    A good real estate accountant can save you thousands of dollars by leveraging entity selection and formation, tax deductions, cost segregations, bonus depreciation and tax planning.

    I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation, business taxation, financial planning and tax planning.

    You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

    I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Good luck.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Property Manager · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jimmy Marks:
    Quote from @Jeff Bateman:

    Has anyone had experience with one in or around Houston? We live in The Woodlands, TX. Wife still has W-2 job, but I left mine at end of 2023. I did get my real estate license and have a few transactions that I was paid for and opened up a small property management company that I only made about $20K on. We have 9 rental properties and I have been doing taxes myself with Turbo Tax in the past, but wanting to make sure doing correct and then with this year working on mine own with LLC and being able to write things off (like mileage, LLC costs, Real estate license fees, etc), may be more than I want to deal with. We purchased 1 property last year and had to sink in quite a bit for repairs and haven't had to factor that in over the past purchases that were pretty turn key. Thanks!

    Hey Jeff - I use Alma Bates. He’s a neighbor of mine in Spring. He does my personal and multiple LLC returns. You can tell him Jimmy sent you. https://ggoldencpa.com/our-team/

     Thanks Jimmy! 

  • Property Manager · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bill Hampton:

    @Jeff Bateman

    Bigger Pockets is a great place to find a real estate tax accountant.

    A good real estate accountant can save you thousands of dollars by leveraging entity selection and formation, tax deductions, cost segregations, bonus depreciation and tax planning.

    I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation, business taxation, financial planning and tax planning.

    You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

    I would also recommend looking for a accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Good luck.


     Good Points Bill. Thanks!

  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jeff Bateman:

    Has anyone had experience with one in or around Houston? We live in The Woodlands, TX. Wife still has W-2 job, but I left mine at end of 2023. I did get my real estate license and have a few transactions that I was paid for and opened up a small property management company that I only made about $20K on. We have 9 rental properties and I have been doing taxes myself with Turbo Tax in the past, but wanting to make sure doing correct and then with this year working on mine own with LLC and being able to write things off (like mileage, LLC costs, Real estate license fees, etc), may be more than I want to deal with. We purchased 1 property last year and had to sink in quite a bit for repairs and haven't had to factor that in over the past purchases that were pretty turn key. Thanks!

    I found a great Real Estate CPA through a friend of mine that is also a real estate investor and I've now been working with them for 3 years. Reach out if you're still looking. I know how painful the search can be .... 

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Jeff Bateman - I would encourage you to look through the forums or the find a professional feature biggerpockets has. Most real estate CPAs would be able to handle your tax situation. Given that you're in Texas, you can really open up your search nationwide if you are open to that.

  • Property Manager · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sabrina Marie:
    Quote from @Jeff Bateman:

    Has anyone had experience with one in or around Houston? We live in The Woodlands, TX. Wife still has W-2 job, but I left mine at end of 2023. I did get my real estate license and have a few transactions that I was paid for and opened up a small property management company that I only made about $20K on. We have 9 rental properties and I have been doing taxes myself with Turbo Tax in the past, but wanting to make sure doing correct and then with this year working on mine own with LLC and being able to write things off (like mileage, LLC costs, Real estate license fees, etc), may be more than I want to deal with. We purchased 1 property last year and had to sink in quite a bit for repairs and haven't had to factor that in over the past purchases that were pretty turn key. Thanks!

    I found a great Real Estate CPA through a friend of mine that is also a real estate investor and I've now been working with them for 3 years. Reach out if you're still looking. I know how painful the search can be .... 

     Yes, that would be great and thank you! I know that i can search the "database" and find all sorts of qualified individuals, but i would rather get referrals from people that have actually used them. 


  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    You might be able to qualify for real estate professional status given that you don't work a W-2 job, are a real estate salesperson and have a nice rental portfolio.

    Discuss with your accountant what the requirements are and what the benefits would be.

    Best of luck!

  • Property Manager · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    I think i can since i have spent more than 750 Hours and have no w-2. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.