Sell at a Loss or Wait? Looking for Advice on Underperforming TX House
Hey everyone — I’d love your input on what’s honestly been a frustrating situation.
I bought a home in Austin, TX (Pflugerville to be exact) back in 2021 as an Airbnb investment for $420K and put in about $100K into it (5% down payment + lots of repairs).
Fast forward to today: home value is $400K or less, it's cash-negative at -6K/year as Airbnb or -12K/year as long-term rental and I’m facing a tough decision: sell at a loss, or wait and keep eating negative cash flow and hope the house will appreciate to at least 470K in 5 years.
What would you do in my position?
Here’s the breakdown:
📉 Current Monthly Expenses: 2.9K
- Mortgage (P&I): $1,675.13
- Insurance: $269.42
- PMI: $121.00
- Property Taxes: $602
- Utilities (avg): $650
- Gardner: $100
- Pond Mainteinance: $140 (I have two Koi ponds on the property)
Total Monthly Expenses: $2,9K w/o utils or ~$3,7 with utils, not even factoring in fixes or capex.
I also have a hot tub that costs $185/m to service.
💡 What I’ve Tried:
- Airbnb: Net loss of about $6K to 8K/year (after cleaning, taxes, etc.) and a lot of hassle
- Mid-term rental: Listed furnished at $3,200/month on Zillow — no serious interest yet, no competition either which means there isn't much demand for mid-term furnished rentals in Pflugerville
- Long-term rental: Rents are 2.2K. So it would actually perform worse than Airbnb (close to -12K/year) unless I bring in an investor to lower the monthly mortgage cost which is unlikely.
- House-hacking: based on my calculations for 3BR 2 BA house it would still be -5K/year.
🧠 My Dilemma:
- My mortgage balance is 370K. Selling now at 400K would mean losing a ~$100K initial investment, AND paying 8-15K out of pocket now to cover fees, plus losing my 3.5% mortgage (big asset in today’s 7% market).
- If I wait let’s say 5 years, I’d need it to appreciate from 400K to at least 470K to just break even with factoring in negative cash flow. And I’d still not recoup the 100K I invested into renovations. For that to happen the house needs to be closer to 600K. How likely is that?
- And if we go into a recession and Airbnb stops working, I’d be stuck with -12K property per year... waiting until it appreciates.
🔍 What I’m Looking For:
- What would you do in my position?
- Am I missing a more creative option?
- Would selling and taking the hit now be smarter than waiting and losing $6–12K/year in hopes of recouping it later?
Appreciate any thoughts or experiences you’re willing to share 🙏