Brand new to real estate

Brand new to real estate

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hi All, as my wife and I settle into our careers I have become interested in real estate investing. I am brand new to the community, so I am looking for advice and mentorship in order to learn and get started in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, area. We currently live in a house and wouldn't be interested in living in a multi-family as a means to get started. 

1Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Charles ClarkBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 209 votes
1y

@Jeff Edwards

Welcome! Great to see you taking interest in real estate investing. Since you're in Milwaukee, I'd suggest starting with networking—local meetups, REI groups, and BiggerPockets threads are great. Even without house-hacking, you can explore single-family rentals or small multis as investments. Happy to connect and share insights as you get started!

Raise the Standard RE LLC55 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Charles ClarkBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 209 votes
    1y

    @Jeff Edwards

    Welcome! Great to see you taking interest in real estate investing. Since you're in Milwaukee, I'd suggest starting with networking—local meetups, REI groups, and BiggerPockets threads are great. Even without house-hacking, you can explore single-family rentals or small multis as investments. Happy to connect and share insights as you get started!

    Raise the Standard RE LLC55 Reviews
    View Page
  • Seth McGatheyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee WI · Member since 2024 · 318 posts · 252 votes
    1y
    Hello Jeff, congrats on jumping into the investor world! And in my own backyard of Milwaukee. I would be happy to talk about our market with you. Feel free to message anytime with questions about the Milwaukee market or just about investing in general. I know you said you don’t want to live in a multifamily, but would you consider moving in general? One of the cheapest/easiest ways to get started would be to move into another single family and rent out your old one. That way you still get some of the benefits of house hacking without actually sharing your space. Otherwise, there are plenty of rentable properties all over Milwaukee that you can get at a reasonable price the old fashioned way. By paying 20-25% down payments.
    Seth McGathey - Shorewest Realtor4.913 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hello Jeff 

    Happy to hear you and your wife are doing well an settling into your careers. This would be a perfect time to grow your retirement/real estate profolio. We are a property maintenance company as well as mangement service. We could definitely help you find a good starter rental or project. We have a large network of people we trust to help look for what you would like and we can help make sure it's a good safe deal and take care of any maintenance needs. 

  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Jeff,

    My husband, Nick Knox III and I run Captain Save a Home LLC, Brew City REI Club (a private network of our trusted real estate friends), Brew City REI Training Cafe (ala carte style real estate mentoring/coaching) and Wisconsin Contractor and Handyman Club (contractor-investor connection platform) based out of Milwaukee, WI for the over a decade. My husband is also a licensed realtor with Premier Point Realty. Additionally, I wholesale deals and we buy rentals. I would be happy to connect with you and answer any questions that may come up.

    There are so many different strategies and many depend on your risk tolerance and what your end game is (such as are you trying to build retirement, quit your job, have a certain amount of additional income per month, etc.).  This is why I love real estate :) It's truly the greatest way to build generational wealth as well as financial freedom. There are so many different strategies being employed in our market.  

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
  • Rental Property Investor · WI · Member since 2023 · 192 posts · 144 votes
    11mo

    Hey Jeff welcome to BP. You picked the right place to get advice and meet other investors who have experience to share. I currently invest in Sheboygan about an hour north of you and love helping people get started. I have been at this since 2021 and have since acquired 6 properties, 8 doors. I am not the most experienced but have learned a lot over the last few years and would be happy to share what we have learned. I am a bit of a numbers junkie and grew up in manufacturing leadership as my W2. I have taken a lot of my learnings with KPI’s, work instructions, and processes and developed them into my rental business. While we are small, we still treat our business seriously and try to run it just as if we were a large company. I have a ton of calculators and tips to help you get started if interested. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. I would be happy to meet up or get on a conference call with you and your wife to answer any questions you may have in getting started. My wife and I also manage our business together. We don’t have a property manager, we have self-managed all of our properties up to this point and don’t plan to change that strategy as we are getting closer to FIRE.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.