馃攷 Seeking: Budget-Friendly Financial Advisor / RE Strategist

San Antonio, TexasWantProfessionalsOther
Classifieds

馃攷 Seeking: Budget-Friendly Financial Advisor / RE Strategist

Brackettville, TX 路 Member since 2022 路 85 posts 路 22 votes

Locations: San Antonio, TX & Jacksonville, FL

I am currently looking for a financial advisor or real estate consultant who specializes in portfolio restructuring and exit strategies. I am navigating a challenging period with investment properties in San Antonio and Jacksonville and am looking to strategically liquidate or "get out" while minimizing further losses and tax impact.

What I鈥檓 looking for:

  • Real Estate Expertise: Someone who understands the 2026 market dynamics in TX and FL (specifically dealing with the current "flat" price trends and rising holding costs).
  • Budget-Friendly/Transparent Fees: Ideally looking for a flat-fee or hourly engagement rather than a high percentage of Assets Under Management (AUM).
  • Exit Strategy Focus: Guidance on 1031 exchanges (if applicable), short sales, or owner financing options to facilitate a quick but smart exit.
  • Fiduciary Standard: Must be a fee-only fiduciary who puts my recovery first.

If you have experience helping investors move through a "down" cycle or know a firm that excels in distressed property consulting, please reach out via DM or comment below.

1Reply
130 views

Most Popular Reply

Doug SmithPro Member
Lender 路 Tampa, FL 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
7mo

Hi Xavier, I thought I would chime in because for the last 35 years I've been a bank executive/lender. I currently own a mortgage company and I am an investor. For the last 20 years I've also managed a company that works with investors and banks to extricate them from difficult loan and real estate portfolios. I also managed the private client/investment groups for 2 different banks, so I feel qualified to answer your question. That being said, a financial planner that would normally act as a fiduciary might not be the real estate expert they hold themselves out to be. You're going to get slammed by people saying "DM me", but make sure you invest time in logging on to Linked In to see their background. You might be best served by hiring a CPA that specializes in the tax ramifications of real estate transactions vs a financial planner. Just an observation. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender 路 Tampa, FL 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7mo

    Hi Xavier, I thought I would chime in because for the last 35 years I've been a bank executive/lender. I currently own a mortgage company and I am an investor. For the last 20 years I've also managed a company that works with investors and banks to extricate them from difficult loan and real estate portfolios. I also managed the private client/investment groups for 2 different banks, so I feel qualified to answer your question. That being said, a financial planner that would normally act as a fiduciary might not be the real estate expert they hold themselves out to be. You're going to get slammed by people saying "DM me", but make sure you invest time in logging on to Linked In to see their background. You might be best served by hiring a CPA that specializes in the tax ramifications of real estate transactions vs a financial planner. Just an observation. 

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF庐, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2012 路 2k+ posts 路 978 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Cynthia Meyer:

    @Xavier A. Malave That sounds rough. Good for you for facing the situation squarely. My real estate investor-focused firm is Real Life Planning. We are a Fee-Only and fiduciary RIA and registered in TX and FL and can do a project fee. Pls. message me if you want to set up an intro call. You can also try some other amazing, real estate-focused Fee-Only advisors who are active here, such as @Daniel Huffman, @Dillon Kenniston and @Bill Hampton. 

     Thank you  for the recommendation @cynthia Meyer

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF庐, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2012 路 2k+ posts 路 978 votes
    7mo

    @Xavier A. Malave

    I recommend finding a financial planner who specializes in real estate taxation and providing proactive advice.

    Working remotely with your financial planner will expand your options. The best person for the job may not be local.

    I would also recommend looking for an financial planner who will work with you throughout the year. You need an financial planner who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Happy to answer any questions. Good luck.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant 路 New York, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 8k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    7mo

    Hi Xavier,

    I would have your accountant do the following

    1) Run an analysis of what the tax burden would be upon sale.
    If the sale results in no gain or a small gain, I wouldn't bother doing something crazy like a 1031 exchange or installment sale.

    2) For those properties that do result in a large tax burden, those are ones that you want to analyze further to see what needs to be done.

    Best of luck

  • CPA| New Clients Welcome| 50 States 路 Member since 2016 路 440 posts 路 93 votes
    7mo

    @Xavier A. Malave, hi. Many investors are facing similar challenges right now with rising holding costs and flat pricing in several markets. When planning an exit, it helps to compare options like a traditional sale, owner financing, or temporarily repositioning the asset, since each path affects taxes and timing differently. 

    A 1031 exchange can still be useful, but only if there鈥檚 a solid replacement strategy that makes sense financially. In some cases, the focus shifts more toward managing the tax impact of the exit rather than deferring gains. Taking time to model holding costs versus exit timing can often lead to a more strategic and less costly outcome.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2013 路 9k+ posts 路 9k+ votes
    7mo

    @Xavier A. Malave, As a mentor of mine once said, "The true measure of your wealth is not how much you make, it's how much you keep at the end of the day".  

    The real estate ride, both boarding and exiting, is very different from normal tax planning and requires a bit of runway to do it right as @Doug Smith said.  Kudos to you for starting the process.

    @Basit Siddiqi, gives you a great place to start in getting a comprehensive understanding with where you are in your portfolio right now.  This can go a long way to ordering your actions as you plan your exit.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.