Are you Pro or Against 401(k)?

Are you Pro or Against 401(k)?

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

A recent article that I wrote on the BP blog received some criticism because I suggest that a 401(k) is one of the best ways to increase your net worth.

This strategy was criticized by a couple of readers and I thought I'd move the debate over here.  So here's my argument:

A 401(k) allows you to invest and grow your net worth tax free.  It reduces tax liability now, enabling you to have a huge portfolio to invest that will achieve outstanding returns for the lifetime of the account.  In my opinion, this is absolutely critical and its a real shame that someone would forgo the opportunity to take advantage of this tool.

The main counterpoint to this thought process is that the funds are not available until 59.5, and that they are taxed when they are withdrawn.  

What do you think?  Would you rather build up a ton of net worth through the 401(k) or have less assets to manage, but make them usable sooner?

I vote for the 401(k) and increasing my total assets under my name as much and as rapidly as possible.

8Reply
914 views

Most Popular Reply

Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

I'm pro 401(k) when there is an employee match on offer.  No one who has an employee match through their employer should ever contribute less than that which is required to get the match; that is just giving away money.

As for the tax deferral question, I am personally more in favor of the Roth approach.  Yes, my tax bracket is higher now than it will be after retirement.  But I have no confidence that our current (pretty reasonable) brackets will still be in place in 25 years.  To take advantage of a tool that eliminates future tax liability entirely strikes me as a very, very good bet.

More broadly, I have noticed that BiggerPockets is full of fanatics.  Diversification is almost a foreign concept here, and there are quite a few people who will tell you that putting money into anything but real estate is foolish.  I think some of those people are very, very sophisticated real estate investors who do this full-time and with great success, and that most if not all of the rest are fools.

 I personally plan on working productively and earning a high income until after 59, and living WELL PAST 59, so the withdrawal issue is fine with me.

See this reply in the discussion

197 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brownstown, MI · Member since 2014 · 344 posts · 98 votes
    11y

    And forget calling and asking 'advisors' any questions about anything.  At least with the company I have to deal with, they don't know sh*t.  Sorry.  End Rant :).


  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Self direct!

    Current plan won't let you?  Start a business and roll it into a self directed solo 401k. 

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    I personally have invested very little in my 401k. As I built my REI business I put everything into that but now that I am getting close to my goal I would like to add a portion of my cash flow every year to a IRA (since 401k is not available to me) I think it is smart to diversify not only across investing mediums but within investing mediums

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt:

    I personally have invested very little in my 401k. As I built my REI business I put everything into that but now that I am getting close to my goal I would like to add a portion of my cash flow every year to a IRA (since 401k is not available to me) I think it is smart to diversify not only across investing mediums but within investing mediums

     As Jon said:

    "Self direct!

    Current plan won't let you? Start a business and roll it into a self directed solo 401k."

    Turn an active part of your REI into a business with earned income, and pump as much as you can claim into a solo 401k. I do my own renovations, which is earned income, in a separate LLC which charges my rental LLC just the right amounts, coincidentally. That profit all goes to my 401k. Works out nicely!

    Also, for a regular IRA, you can roll that into the 401k also, though for some stupid reason you can't roll a Roth IRA into a 401k.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Brie Schmidt 

      I am going to pull a Bill Gully here ,, as I did not read the entire thread.. But one of the great things about retirement accounts is they are true asset protection.. very hard to peirce these either by IRS Bankruptcy or creditors.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs -  I have 2 issues with 401k (and it might be naive of me) 1 - Lack of understanding.  It was not until recently when helping a family member with their personal investments, did someone really explain the various types of mutual funds and investing options in a language I understood.  So because I never really understood it and felt I had no control/understanding and I did not invest much in it.  2. - Lack of control. I do not like being told when I can use my money.  I know all too well that not everyone lives to be 62.5 to pull their money out and if **** hits the fan I want to be able to enjoy my money without penalty.  

    That being said I do believe in diversification and want to start putting money into this type of investment with excess cash flow.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Brie Schmidt 

    now that your self employed RE entrapranour you can simply set up a check book IRA or a self directed one.. search for the right custodians that don't nickel and dime. you if you do the check book route you only have one fee a year for the custodian and all your transactions have NO fee's

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs -  Thanks!  I should be paying you a retainer for life advice :)

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Brie Schmidt 

    now that your self employed RE entrepreneur you can simply set up a check book IRA or a self directed one.. search for the right custodians that don't nickel and dime. you if you do the check book route you only have one fee a year for the custodian and all your transactions have NO fee's

    For self-employed individual much better route to go would be self-directed, trustee-managed Solo 401k plan. For several reasons:

    • Eliminate custodian fees forever
    • Obtain checkbook control over your retirement assets (without the LLC)
    • Ability to contribute nearly 10 times more compared to an IRA
    • Access funds for personal needs via loan (if needed)
    • Not pay UBIT tax on leveraged real estate
    • and few more...
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt:

    @Jay Hinrichs -  I have 2 issues with 401k (and it might be naive of me) 1 - Lack of understanding.  It was not until recently when helping a family member with their personal investments, did someone really explain the various types of mutual funds and investing options in a language I understood.  So because I never really understood it and felt I had no control/understanding and I did not invest much in it.  2. - Lack of control. I do not like being told when I can use my money.  I know all too well that not everyone lives to be 62.5 to pull their money out and if **** hits the fan I want to be able to enjoy my money without penalty.  

    That being said I do believe in diversification and want to start putting money into this type of investment with excess cash flow.  

    While 401k is different type or retirement plan than an IRA, the concept is the same. When you have self-directed plan you have virtually limitless investment options - real estate, private lending, tax liens, precious metals, real estate notes, etc. You are not limited to mutual funds offered by conventional retirement accounts which you have no control over. When you go self-directed route you are in total control and you are not being told where to put your money - you call the shots.

    And if you would like to have access to your funds before retirement - maximize contributions to Roth (with Solo K you can put significantly more than with Roth IRA, $17,500 + $5,500 catch up if you are over 50), or you can also convert your pre-tax contributions into Roth. This way you pay taxes upfront and will be able to access contributions before retirement age because you already paid taxes on them.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko can someone who has a property they bought to flip and own it in their name move into a solo 401k (not yet created but to be) then flip it and put a large amount of the gain into retirement tax deferred?

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

    No, this would be Prohibited Transaction. You can't transfer property that you already own into your retirement account.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff S.:

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko can someone who has a property they bought to flip and own it in their name move into a solo 401k (not yet created but to be) then flip it and put a large amount of the gain into retirement tax deferred?

    There is an easy way to do what you want. Create a LLC that does the flips (or manages them), that has no employees except you, and possibly your spouse. Create a solo 401K for that company. Now you can put the max contribution in for yourself (and for your spouse?). After that max is hit, you can then contribute more under profit sharing up to the max. That is the route I took, and it works nicely.

    BTW ask an accountant, but they will probably tell you to create an LLC that is taxed as an S-Corp. Since you do not yet have this LLC formed, do so and then contract with them to manage the flip on your behalf. Charge yourself lots of money so the company has a profit, so that you can contribute that profit to your solo 401K. Pay yourself a salary amounting to the amount you want to contribute to your 401K, therefore you have no additional earned income. If you elect to be taxed as an S-Corp the rest is profit for the company and paid as a distribution of profits and is taxed at a lower rate. So you reduce taxes in two ways.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thank you @Dmitriy Fomichenko and @Walt Payne. Ok, so both an LLC and solo 401k should be set up before next purchase. Being taxed as an S-Corp is decided at tax time, correct?

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    @Vince Beusan 

    I see you returned to the thread but ignored the issue with the tax rates you used in your example.   Perhaps you are still digging through data? 

  • Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    he did address it, he pointed out it is an actual, real tax rate.

    Whether you think you need to worry about ever being in it, is a matter of opinion.

    He's sticking with his book that has examples of very high 401k fees, which do exist, they are slowly going away and getting fixed, but sadly - he is correct - there are high fee plans out there.  Also high-fee choices in many plans.  Like the 'target date' funds, where they charge you .5% to put your money into funds that charge 1.2%.  If you are not careful you can wind up in a high fee 401k situation.

    As for tax rates - those are for us all to guess about - we will be taxed on withdrawl if we did not pay taxes on the way in.  Based on each of our situations, and whatever tax law changes happen - this could be at high rates, or low rates.

    No need to fight with him - he has a very strong opinion that I disagree with, but it is based on some true facts.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I hope I'm in the 39.6 % tax bracket when I retire. Is that bad? Too much tax? Isn't AFTER tax income the point? Come on BP, we should be outliers, showing the way with REI. Crank up the ambition.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    @David C. 

    My point is that a VERY small percentage of 401k participants will ever fall into the 35% tax bracket.  His fee percentages are extreme as well.  Using facts that impact a minuscule % of people is nothing more than fear mongering. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed is positioned for a high income retirement, so for him - Roth is the way to go, it removes uncertainty and pays his taxes at known rates today that he is confident are lower then his retirement rates.

    For many other folks in less abundant situations, planning for reality makes more sense.  If you have modest retirement savings, and are in your highest earning years - taking the tax deduction today is going to work out the best mathematically - you can take the money off the top today when your income is high, and pull the money out later at near-zero tax rates when you are trying to live off a too-small 401k.

    If you are young and in a low tax bracket, the Roth is golden, you are missing out on a known small tax savings for the long term benefit of not having to worry about income tax policy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David C.:

    @Account Closed is positioned for a high income retirement, so for him - Roth is the way to go, it removes uncertainty and pays his taxes at known rates today that he is confident are lower then his retirement rates.

    For many other folks in less abundant situations, planning for reality makes more sense.  If you have modest retirement savings, and are in your highest earning years - taking the tax deduction today is going to work out the best mathematically - you can take the money off the top today when your income is high, and pull the money out later at near-zero tax rates when you are trying to live off a too-small 401k.

    If you are young and in a low tax bracket, the Roth is golden, you are missing out on a known small tax savings for the long term benefit of not having to worry about income tax policy.

    Ok, let's look at this from a different perspective. If someone puts money into a 401k, how smart is it to pay earned income rates on investment income that would normally be taxed at a much lower rate? Where is the prudence in that philosophy? Why not pay the earned income rates up front and not pay any taxes on the investment earnings? And yes, that difference is seriously amplified at higher tax brackets, but even in the lower brackets it makes sense to use the Roth option. And, think about it, that then lowers your tax bracket for any real earned income you might have at that point.

    AND, with a Roth account one can remove the deposited amount if needed with no tax or penalties after the account is 5 yrs. old (though not the earnings).  A definite advantage! That is considering a "likely outcome" that your philosophy totally ignores, emergencies.

  • Bethesda, MD · Member since 2012 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    I'm very much in line with folks who think that company-matched 401k plans are a great resource for the everyday investor. This might sound patronizing, but many people who live busy workaday lives don't have the savvy for more complex investments, or lack the resources. It's also a great way for many people to insure they have something saved down the line. Assuming you have a basic understanding of diversified investment and expected returns, it's not difficult to use a 401k as a reliable (if more conservative) means of wealth building.

    Like many others who posted here, I'd go with an IRA in a heartbeat. Either way, I'm sticking with my plan until I can cash out. 401k/IRA-style investments are far from a fool's game, but I'd go with the latter.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    @Walt Payne - I think you are certainly onto something.  Here are my thoughts:

    Emergencies:  I don't account for emergencies in my retirement saving.  I save for emergencies in accounts outside my retirement.  If we are talking 'all or nothing' or someone with very limited resources - the access to your contributions is  HUGE Roth advantage.  It would take a tremendous emergency for me to consider going near any retirement assets.

    Retirement Income: I'm still going with my plan: I have basically no income plan for retirement, I will live off retirement accounts, and taxable accounts.  I will sell taxable stocks for long-term gains - nice tax treatment there with today's rules.  I will withdraw maybe 70,000/year from my 401k until the rules demand I take more.

    I already have zero debt, not even a mortgage.  My income needs and wants are tiny.

    Assuming I am still married: my first 18,000 is taxed at 10%

    18,000 -> 73,000 is taxed at 15%.

    73,000 -> 148,000 is taxed at 25%

    So I avoid 28% or 33% taxes today, grow tax free, and pay ~13% taxes later.

    I agree, if you plan to draw 130,000+ from your 401k each year in retirement, then a Roth is a better option.  OR if you have other sources of retirement income that will push you into high tax brackets.

    If I want more than 100,000/year to spend, I can pull from non-retirement accounts, selling assets(stocks, mutual funds, etc..).  Those are not taxed as income, so they will not push me into a higher bracket.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

    if you wish to discuss your situation please contact me and we'll set up time for a phone consultation. I need to have a better understanding of your goals and situation and then after I have a clear picture I can give you accurate recommendation. 

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    Ah, something I have some knowledge about!

    Personally for me, 401k is not the way to go with my current employer (huge factor).

    From my research, 401ks are only worth it if you have company match. If that is your case, company match is pretty much free money and something you should definitely get in on.

    However, here is why I opted not to do 401k:

    - High chance of taxes increasing in the future, hence the overall consensus of many is to pay taxes now than later, so ROTH IRA is a better option

    -not much options into what you can invest, some 401ks are set up for the benefit of the company and contain toxic assets

    -fees!!!! you should always look for low fees and sadly, some 401ks have hidden fees and high fees over the long term, something that many don't look into

    Overall, it is better to do something than to do nothing, so kudos to those that have 401ks, but see if you guys are in my boat and would benefit more from moving it to a ROTH IRA or maybe even doing both!

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    I am Pro Diversification!

    Although we contribute WAY above the percentage that receives the company match, we also max out our Roths.  Admittedly the 401k was our initial focus and we were late to the game when it comes to the Roth, but we have managed to max out our Roths for the last 4 years and 5 out of the 8 years we had our accounts. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.