The Shell Game - Pay off Debts or Invest?

The Shell Game - Pay off Debts or Invest?

Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes

I'm trying to take the approach of having my money work for me instead of the other way around. The struggle, however, is balancing what looks good on paper with what I want to do; being disciplined and careful, but not resentful if I can't jump on an opportunity.

It's like Dave Ramsey and Robert Kiyosaki are having a fight in my head. You should have your money work for you. You should pay off your debts and live debt-free. You could borrow money from people to make asset purchases. Don't spend money you don't have. AHHHH!

Would love to hear some feedback/opinions on this brain dump...

Goal

To have investment income replace my W2 income. Here's where it gets all chicken-or-egg in my head: If I pay off the credit cards and student loans (even partially), I need less income to cover my expenses. But then I'll probably have to wait to invest and make the switch to FT REI. As I said, I'm not a very patient person; once I know I want something, I go after it.

Why

I want my hard work to benefit me and my family, not some shareholders. I've known that I'm not meant for the corporate hamster wheel for a decade, but have ignored that little voice in my head because I was taught that going to college and joining cubicle life is what you're *supposed* to do.

Debts

$30k in student debt at no more than 6% interest (most under 4%)

$15k in credit card debt at no more than 13.5% interest

12% of my gross income going to 401(k) with no match

Primary residence payment is 15% of gross household income

No car payments; none planned

Assets

Cashed-Out on equity of Duplex #1 to purchase Duplex #2 and to improve cash flow on #1

Purchasing and renovating Duplex #2 to increase monthly cash flow

Expect to have $15-20k in remaining funds after #2 purchase/reno

$25k in an untouchable (per hubs) "Oh Sh*t" fund

$7k in stocks that could be liquidated

Disclaimer

Credit card debt was due to two back-to-back major unplanned primary residence expenses when we were only on one income. Our monthly spending is under control and we are trying to figure out how to apply the excess we now have - bills or investments?

Questions

1. What to do with that $15-20k left over from the refi/purchase... Pay off credit cards? Apply to new asset/property? Re-invest in current properties to increase cash flow?

2. What to do with our cash flow (est. $6-700/mo)? Save for next property? Debt repayment?

3. What to do with our current monthly excess? Save for next property? Debt repayment?

Looking forward to some BPer insights!

2Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Galena, OH · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 8 votes
9y

Pay off the credit card debt.  That's a no brainer to me.  If you can guarantee a better than 13.5% on that 15k then let me know so I can do the same.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Little Rock, AR · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    @Laura H.

    This is the plan I'm working right now, maybe it will be helpful to you:

    1) Dave Ramsey until the full emergency fund is complete (Baby Step 3). I'm almost there.

    2) Begin saving at least 10% of W-2 wages into 401k.

    3) Save for down payment for first rental (3 years expected to target, without additional income.) Work on side gigs to increase income to save more.

    4) Once the rental is purchased, save positive cash flow and personal savings to rental CapEx/emergency fund until funded.

    5) Pay off rental early or have another down payment for a second unit--I'm not sure which yet.

  • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2014 · 324 posts · 268 votes
    9y

    My perspective:

    I would pay off the full credit card balance immediately, with your emergency fund.  You may pay capital gains taxes, but so what - you'll pay them eventually, and they are at a long term rate which is a pretty good rate.  Paying credit card interest rates is a way to keep you poor.

    Pay off all credit card debt on a monthly basis - or have a plan on when to pay it off (say you need $10k for a remodel project).  Don't be in the habit of spending it up and figuring out how to pay it down later.

    Take on as much debt as you can, when you use it for leverage in the real estate market.  Run the numbers, but you'll usually do better with a $250k financed at 80% vs a $50k bought for all cash (consider appreciation and depreciation).  Make sure your sustainable cash flow can cover your costs - in real estate there WILL be downturns, so you want to make sure you will keep your nose above water and don't do a Dave Ramsey there.

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 356 votes
    4mo

    @Laura H.

    Are you still here 10 years later ? What did you decide and where are you at with your debts and investments?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.