Do financial advisors just not get RI?

Do financial advisors just not get RI?

Kevin McGuirePro Member
CTO of BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 168 posts · 178 votes

Hi BP community,

It’s taken awhile to get my financial planner to understand what I’m doing with Real Estate Investing. I interviewed a new one from a well regarded independent boutique firm and again he didn’t quite get it. I don’t need them to help me run the RI business but I do need them to factor it in properly to my overall financial picture and retirement planning.

For my first advisor, he only looked at the value of the equity, I got him to think of it as asset, liability, income and costs. Moving to Quickbooks Online and producing a balance sheet and P&L helped a lot, it then looks like any other business.

My new guy looked at the cash flow as not contributing to retirement income until the mortgages are paid off (my net with mortgages is trivial). But then I explain that I can cash out refinance, take equity out, and not pay income tax. Boom. They don’t know how to model that. Or, sell property to clear off the other mortgages.

I also had to explain to each the whole purpose of doing this: income generation without drawing down the capital producing the income.

I think the basic problem is that financial advisors are trained to think of stocks, bonds, etc. Maybe I need to talk about RI in those terms: property = stock, cap rate = yield, mortgage = margin loan.

I think another problem is the guardrails in place, certainly in the case of the first advisor, on what the firm allows them to advise on.

What are folks’ experience here in working with financial planners? Is this just typical? How can I help them to help me?

6Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Kevin McGuire:

Hi BP community,

It’s taken awhile to get my financial planner to understand what I’m doing with Real Estate Investing. I interviewed a new one from a well regarded independent boutique firm and again he didn’t quite get it. I don’t need them to help me run the RI business but I do need them to factor it in properly to my overall financial picture and retirement planning.

For my first advisor, he only looked at the value of the equity, I got him to think of it as asset, liability, income and costs. Moving to Quickbooks Online and producing a balance sheet and P&L helped a lot, it then looks like any other business.

My new guy looked at the cash flow as not contributing to retirement income until the mortgages are paid off (my net with mortgages is trivial). But then I explain that I can cash out refinance, take equity out, and not pay income tax. Boom. They don’t know how to model that. Or, sell property to clear off the other mortgages.

I also had to explain to each the whole purpose of doing this: income generation without drawing down the capital producing the income.

I think the basic problem is that financial advisors are trained to think of stocks, bonds, etc. Maybe I need to talk about RI in those terms: property = stock, cap rate = yield, mortgage = margin loan.

I think another problem is the guardrails in place, certainly in the case of the first advisor, on what the firm allows them to advise on.

What are folks’ experience here in working with financial planners? Is this just typical? How can I help them to help me?

 They aren't trained on real estate investing because they can't make a commission. There is no point, in their eyes, in directing you to products they can't make money on.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin McGuire:

    Hi BP community,

    It’s taken awhile to get my financial planner to understand what I’m doing with Real Estate Investing. I interviewed a new one from a well regarded independent boutique firm and again he didn’t quite get it. I don’t need them to help me run the RI business but I do need them to factor it in properly to my overall financial picture and retirement planning.

    For my first advisor, he only looked at the value of the equity, I got him to think of it as asset, liability, income and costs. Moving to Quickbooks Online and producing a balance sheet and P&L helped a lot, it then looks like any other business.

    My new guy looked at the cash flow as not contributing to retirement income until the mortgages are paid off (my net with mortgages is trivial). But then I explain that I can cash out refinance, take equity out, and not pay income tax. Boom. They don’t know how to model that. Or, sell property to clear off the other mortgages.

    I also had to explain to each the whole purpose of doing this: income generation without drawing down the capital producing the income.

    I think the basic problem is that financial advisors are trained to think of stocks, bonds, etc. Maybe I need to talk about RI in those terms: property = stock, cap rate = yield, mortgage = margin loan.

    I think another problem is the guardrails in place, certainly in the case of the first advisor, on what the firm allows them to advise on.

    What are folks’ experience here in working with financial planners? Is this just typical? How can I help them to help me?

     They aren't trained on real estate investing because they can't make a commission. There is no point, in their eyes, in directing you to products they can't make money on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire most financial planners will be like this for the reason @mike M mentioned.

    I have met one FP on BP who definitely get me real estate as an investment as most their clients are farmers (who own lots of land). If you want that contact info, let me know

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    You are all kinds of patient explaining to your 'professionals' as much as you have.

    As mentioned, there's no monetary value or gain for them knowing RI, unless you're stripping equity or selling to invest in securities. 

    I don't remember RE being covered much any of my schooling getting a finance degree, as a series 7 broker or as a private placement underwriter.  Not their fault. You seek a specialist. Like a good agent, about 10% will be great at what they do.

    Just curious what you are expecting them to do overall?  Hiring a FP or CFP has never crossed my mind. 

  • Kevin McGuirePro Member
    OP
    CTO of BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 168 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I’ve been accused of that :) 

    Yes I think there's an educational aspect. As for why I go with one, I've been asking myself the same question! My thinking has shifted to index funds in a well constructed diversified portfolio, which I can do myself and save the fee. The last company I interviewed though takes a holistic approach and looks at tax efficiency, insurance, POA, will, and have in house legal and accounting. I like it as a team approach, I think that provides the value add, is set up purely to the customer's benefit.

    Thanks all!

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    There are some that own quite a bit of RE. Those are the smart ones IMO.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Makes more sense that they're offering the whole enchilada of investing, estate, tax and legal planning might be the reason.  Why else take the time to educate an advisor, right? Surprised real estate doesn't play a larger role in a wealth management and legacy planning practice. 

    As a DIY 10x Napper it hadn't occurred to me as to why we as REIs would need an FP. Thanks for the clarification and i hope it works out!

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    An active ownership in a property or portfolio of real estate is much more like a small business than it is like a passive investment.  A financial adviser can help with the allocation of capital and alternatives but they can't help with "business" operations.

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
    7y

    Used a flat fee FI because wanted to look at our overall picture including, taxes, will, retirement income, insurance, etc. They calculated where we would be in increments of 5 and where mortgages would be in those time timeframes. It was a good exercise as we’re nearing retirement and wanted to know what that would look like. This what they did:

    • Develop an accurate budget for spending in retirement
    • Understand the options available through Medicare and the cost of those options
    • Review Social Security benefits, and identify the optimal time to begin drawing benefits to maximize the likelihood that your financial plan will be successful
    • Understand the mechanics behind taking portfolio withdrawals to support your financial needs
    • Assess the impact of a potential long-term-care need on your overall retirement plan
  • Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2014 · 219 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    Most financial planners are insurance salespeople.

    They are usually less educated on creating wealth and more educated on how to get commissions.  Their paycheck depends on it.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire  Ditto what @Kevin Polite says.  There is a huge difference between commission based and flat fee Financial Advisors.  There will always be a tension and potential conflict of interest between your goals and a commission based FP.  

    But a Flat fee FP may simply be one who doesn't know either security products or real estate.  But you can weed that out very quickly in your interview process.

    Live near a small college?  Go talk to the dean of the school of business and offer yourself up as a case study for a finance class ( or a real estate cluster class).  I did that once and it was a total gas!  The kids are incredibly creative and not stuck in the old traditional ways at all!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    We have been "interviewed" by many over the years to get us to invest in their % based advisory make you rich services. However, no-one seemed interested in offering self directed plans for REI or comprehending the concept of REI & our Solo 401(k) as just another REI retirement niche.

    Now that we are facing the tax consequences of RMD's & determining opportune time to take Soc Sec., we sat down with another. But after reviewing some of our portfolio he spent an hour asking us how to structure an owner hold & the pros & cons of being a Landlord. 

    I believe any of us who have lived through years of successful REI would be far more capable than the majority of Financial Advisors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Why are you even talking to such people?? . If your a successful real estate investor then it stands to reason you can direct your own money and doing better than him . Most wealth advisors are salesmen gambling with your money to make themselves a handsome commission . If you have to explain the business model to the guy then that should be a red flag he doesn’t want you as a customer .one of the main rules of investing is to seek competent advise .

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y

    There's a huge gap between RE and Wealth Management.

    I've been in the mortgage game now for 16 years, a RE investor for 5 years (All due to BP) and insurance and annuities for 3 years.

    One thing that I've noticed over the past couple of years is that you really should have your monies in different areas. The percentage may differ based on the individuals and their needs but again the diversity needs to be there.

    I'll always be a RE guy first because that's what I know best but if you can tax free money from a cash out refinance, place it into an F.I.A. ( Fixed Indexed Annuity ) an literally be guaranteed not to ever lose money unless you withdraw it during the surrender period. To me it's really a no brainer.

    My personal goal is to have 10K a month in rental income after all expenses. When I hit that number, I'll buy my primary out here in Cali and fund my F.I.A. every 3 years and at age 50 and 60 do 2 ten-year terms. Then right around RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) time use the monies I've accumulated and turn the annuity into lifetime income for my wife and I as a strong supplement of income.

    I don't see myself wanting to deal with RE past the age of 60 or 65 for sure and at that point I'll probably give it away to my kids. My wife and I will still need to live and that's where the F.I. A’s come into play. I'm not 100% sure it will play out this way but I'm 40 now and have a game plan that I'm going to stick to.

    Besides UOPM (Use other people’s money to make money) I also live by the following in this order.

    1. Free money is the best money

    If your employer matches 4%, 8% or 2% you need to match that number. Nothing more and nothing less

    2. Tax Free Money

    IUL's when funded correctly are golden and Roth IRA's are my 2 favorite strategies for this

    3. Guaranteed Money

    My investment homes are all section 8 which some people don't like but it works for me. F.I. A’s which I'm a big fan of round out # 3

    My base as stated before has and will always be RE but as my tree grows bigger, I'll be able to spread my funds across different branches and just watch this thing grow.

    BP as a whole is so awesome in regards to the different mind sets and types of investors. Take in what you can and then put together a plan that works best for you and your family.

    That's just my 2 cents!

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y
    My FP has about 50% of my net worth invested through him. He is fully aware of my real estate holdings and factors it in knowing that at some point (soon) I will liquidate it all and turn it over to him. He always wants to be updated on the net worth of my real estate holdings. No surprise there. The difference between me and most real estate investors is that I have known, and informed him from the beginning, that I will liquidate all my real estate investments to retire.
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire

    Thinking I was doing the right and responsible thing, in January 2018 I too hired a commission-based certified financial planner and put my wife's legacy IRA in his supposedly capable hands. At the time, we had approximately $36,400 in that IRA. My thinking was that he would offer valuable money planning advice for the commission-based fee he was getting on the IRA.

    It turned out he knew jack squat about real estate. He also knew jack squat about the Roth Conversion Ladder, a powerful tool for those seeking financial independence with both W2 income and rental income. I had to explain it to him. Then I prevailed upon him to go through getting a 60-day-based loan for the money in the IRA. His secretary insisted there would be all kinds of roadblocks to doing that in a timely manner, and I didn't proceed, but expedited access to that kind of loan was yet another reason we had put the money with him instead of leaving it where it was.

    During 2018 we lost $4000 of the $36,000 and paid him approximately $400 in management fees for the privilege. God knows what he took in on kickbacks from the high-expense-ratio funds he had us invested in.

    In February of this year, I took the money away and put it in a Vanguard.com account. In his last email, our former certified financial planner insisted that we would have lost more money investing in index funds than we lost with him.

    Opening balance, $36,400
    Closing balance, $32,000

    Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund, Admiral shares: trading on January 5, 2018 at $68.36/share, trading on February 15. 2019 at $69.49 share, expense ratio 0.04%. If we had invested in Vanguard we would have made $587 last year instead of losing $4400. We would have paid Vanguard $14.56 to manage our money. These are facts anyone with a calculator and access to Google could figure out, but he still lied in his email to me, because...that's what commission-based financial planners know, and that's all they know.

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire

    I would like to agree that most financial planners know nothing about real estate but... my wife's financial planner owns a lot, like a lot of real estate. Everyone in his office does too! It is surprising to me because I shared the same thoughts as many on this forum. It is also a very well established FI brokerage that does a good job. They make absolutely no money off of REI but they have given me some good advice over the years. One of my buddies that works there (not my wife's advisor) actually told me about Cozy.

    Probably like everything else. The 80/20 rule applies.

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire I’ve always been weary. How can you really know if they have your best interest in mind? Being a fiduciary is a good start, but it’s still rather meaningless since it’s difficult to know their true intention. It’s good practice not to blindly trust even if someone is a fiduciary. The onus is on you to figure out what’s best for yourself. Only you can truly take a comprehensive approach to your overall investments.

    Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I remember the old days standing with other father's (who unlike me actually had a JOB) watching our kids play high school soccer. Most admitted they were afraid to even look at their IRA/401(k) etc statements as the markets were crashing. Some even had to send their wives BACK TO WORK so they could one day afford to retire. I can't imagine ever having such a feeling. If I had a bad REI deal it was easier to turn it around than to ignore it or leave it in someone else's 'commissioned' hands.

  • Financial Advisor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 502 posts · 508 votes
    7y

    It pains me to read the harsh criticisms of my profession, but there is no escaping the truth. Financial Advisors are among the least trusted professionals in America - and they've 100% earned that reputation. 

    The problem is that many (MANY) salespeople hide behind the title "Financial Advisor" (or Planner, or Wealth Manager, or etc.), and it is generally confusing. Jane Q. Public knows not to seek nutritional advice from the person working the cash register at Burger King. JQP also knows that if you ask the Toyota salesman what kind of car would be good the recommendation is going to be a Toyota!  But...when someone tells you they are offering 'financial advice' you might not be aware that 100% of their training was in sales, and 100% of their recommendations are Northwestern Mutual products. (or John Hancock, UBS, USAA, BoA, etc.)

    There are a few government regulations in place to try to provide some consumer protections, but they are rarely enforced. If you want to work with a (real) financial planner, due diligence is your only real protection. There ARE some good ones out there. You just have to work a bit harder to find us.  :)

    Best of Luck with Your Real Estate Investments!

  • Kevin McGuirePro Member
    OP
    CTO of BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 168 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Paul Allen Thanks for that. I seem to have struck a nerve in this post! I didn’t intend it as a bashing of the financial planning industry; while I have my own gripes with it as an industry, that wasn’t my intent. Where the industry as a whole suffers is two fold: it’s not clear whose interest they represent, and it’s not clear the value they bring.

    Some in this post have asked why I have a FA in the first place. I have a complex financial picture with RRSPs in Canada, RI in Canada, IRA/401k and other stocks/bonds in the US, vacation rental US,.. while I have confidence in my ability I also recognize that there are limits to my knowledge and speed at which I can learn (e.g. tax implications in two countries, ugh!). I think that all domains have experts whose counsel is valuable, and in this case I'm willing to pay for the counsel of others to round that out, act as a sounding board. What I look for is not someone to "manage my investments" but to clarify my goals, work with me to develop a strategy, and devise a plan to execute against that strategy.

    RI is part of my strategy. Frankly I think it should be part of more people’s, but I’m preaching to the converted here. Thus for me a FA needs to be able to factor in RI in order to provide a wholistic approach. If a FA’s scope is limited to those products they can sell, then there’s a number of problems there. My current FA gets paid a flat fee based on assets under management, does not steer me towards in-house products, and I believe is well intended. But, limited, either in education, training, or through policy or law of what he can advise on. The new firm I am investigating has a more comprehensive team based service which includes for example tax and legal in-house counsel, but the advisor I spoke to didn’t have the depth of RI knowledge I wanted. Maybe what I seek is a unicorn. Thus my question here: is this typical, do you just have to educate them?

  • Scott JensenPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Blaine, MN · Member since 2014 · 477 posts · 387 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed You are correct...mostly. You can find advisors that will charge a fee for the advice, not for specific products. That's what you want as a real estate investor.

    I finished the Certified Financial Planner Designation and you are correct that there is not much training regarding real estate. A lot of the tax information is applicable though.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Scott Jensen:

    @Account Closed You are correct...mostly. You can find advisors that will charge a fee for the advice, not for specific products. That's what you want as a real estate investor.

    I finished the Certified Financial Planner Designation and you are correct that there is not much training regarding real estate. A lot of the tax information is applicable though.

     Great here's my question: 

    I want to 1031 exchange $100,000 into two different properties by taking over their mortgages, paying them their equity and then selling on Lease Option to tenant buyers who give me $25,000 down and take the $50,000 I get from the Option payments and put into a syndication of a multi as a passive investment.

    1. What is my tax obligation and is that a good strategy?

    2. Why or why not?

  • Scott JensenPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Blaine, MN · Member since 2014 · 477 posts · 387 votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire it is sadly pretty typical. Real estate investing is a pretty specialized niche, so finding an advisor in this space is difficult.  The next closest thing is finding an advisor that specializes in helping small business owners.

  • Scott JensenPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Blaine, MN · Member since 2014 · 477 posts · 387 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I would post that question in the tax or creative deals forums. Then I would follow up with a 1031 qualified intermediary to ensure each step doesn't violate any rules and follow up with a CPA who understands real estate to compute the tax implications. 

    Sounds like a reasonable strategy but there could be a lot of ways to screw it up along the way. Do you have each of the properties identified already?  Can you find buyers who will do that lease option with $25k down?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin McGuire the financial advisory industry earned their reputation, because generally they are making money either selling mutual funds or worse selling insurance. Even when you are paying a percentage of funds under management, there is two issues:

    1. They get paid that percent regardless of how your portfolio performs. 

    2. They often still get paid for other products they sell. Extra revenue for them and the profit motive takes away their 

    The simple answer here is that they get paid nothing for your real estate investments, so they will work to undermine any real estate effort. They will spend no time getting educated on real estate and in fact, other investment providers will educate them on why they are better than real estate.

    Many investment advisers have net worth considerably smaller than the portfolios they manage. Some may argue that is fine, but I question why I should pass my money over to someone who is themselves living paycheck to paycheck. 

    There are some flat fee advisers, which is what I would recommend. They get paid for time rather than just automatically getting a percent off the top.

    The truth is in many investments, the fees destroy the returns. Whether that is management fees or sales fees, they are everywhere. (Or even in real estate fees can be a killer!)

    Of course there are great investment advisers out there and some that even own and advocate real estate. 

    Given the amazing technology of the internet, I can directly invest and manage my portfolio, so I really have no need for an adviser. I am diversified in ultra low fee index funds. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.