RE attorney in FL to draft lease agreement for LTR

RE attorney in FL to draft lease agreement for LTR

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 5 votes

I have a SF LTR coming on the market in a few months in FL. I'm having a property management company manage it for me

How good is the average PM company lease? It is worth it to hire a RE attorney draft it instead?

What issues should I be looking out for here?

Any recommendations on a great PM company or attorney in Southwest FL?

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 9 votes
4y

Hi Aaron, as a Florida attorney myself, I can say that a lease agreement is the one document you don't want try to save a few bucks on. The time and money you put into your lease agreement will be worthwhile when you realize how many headaches you avoided by having a solid document in place. Having said that, a good starting point for a sample lease would be the Florida Bar: https://www.floridabar.org/pub...

You can compare this lease with whatever lease your PM companies gives you to get an idea of what terms you want to make sure are included. Nevertheless, having an attorney review your lease and address your specific concerns is ideal. You can find a list of attorneys in your area on the Florida bar website: https://www.floridabar.org/dir... or doing a search on some of the review sites, like AVVO.com

Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    Hi Aaron, as a Florida attorney myself, I can say that a lease agreement is the one document you don't want try to save a few bucks on. The time and money you put into your lease agreement will be worthwhile when you realize how many headaches you avoided by having a solid document in place. Having said that, a good starting point for a sample lease would be the Florida Bar: https://www.floridabar.org/pub...

    You can compare this lease with whatever lease your PM companies gives you to get an idea of what terms you want to make sure are included. Nevertheless, having an attorney review your lease and address your specific concerns is ideal. You can find a list of attorneys in your area on the Florida bar website: https://www.floridabar.org/dir... or doing a search on some of the review sites, like AVVO.com

    Hope that helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Law 
    Great post. I'm in the same boat, just getting started with investing and aiming for my first LTR in the next couple of months. I too have been concerned about finding a lease agreement specific to FL, and had a conversation with a local real estate attorney recently about their recommendations for setting this up. A real estate attorney can prepare typical lease documents for a fee. However, my recommendation would be to draft a copy yourself first using a solid state-specific template, then submit it to your attorney for review (smaller fee). 

    @Account Closed
    I also strongly agree with you, the lease agreement needs to cover you in any way possible from the outset of the landlord-tenant relationship. Thanks for the link to the Florida Bar site! That resource seems to cover more FL-specific items than I've been able to find on other templates. I too will be having my lease template reviewed by the attorney prior to using. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Account Closed Thank you so much for the links and solid recommendations, I'll start there and see how the leases look.

    @Corey Farnsworth Best up luck in your LTR quest! I'll check the bar site and then find an attorney to iron things out.

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    My pleasure! Fee free to send me a message if you need assistance. 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    What about the state specific lease agreements available here on BP?

  • Attorney · Lakewood Ranch, FL · Member since 2008 · 38 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Aaron, I am an real estate attorney in Sarasota.  Feel free to message me for recommendations on a property manager if your rental is in the area.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.