What are some of the best rental apps

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
Quote from @John Leake:

I have been looking for one that will also work well with storage units but think any one of these could work well for just regular rentals!

Two different animals. If you're only managing a few of each, a shared system may work. If you're managing an entire storage facility, you'll probably want to use a different software. I use Propertyware to manage 400 residential/commercial rentals. I use easystoragesolutions.com to manage 140 units and that includes online payments with bank or credit card. My renting process is completely automated so people can find a unit, rent, make payment, and get moved in without ever talking to me.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Normal, IL · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    I'm also interested in this! Bigger pockets has a page with the following: https://www.biggerpockets.com/... I have been looking for one that will also work well with storage units but think any one of these could work well for just regular rentals!

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @John Leake

    Thanks For the link.Do you have any experience with any of these?

  • Rental Property Investor · Normal, IL · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    @Jerad Godefroid I do not this is something I’m looking into for my business this year as well.

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @John Leake

    I Signed up for avail earlier and have been playing around with it trying to learn what it’s all about and for some reason it sends me a code every time I log in.Most of the time it just kicks me and won’t let me in.Maybe a phone problem not sure.

  • Rental Property Investor · Burlington County, NJ · Member since 2019 · 540 posts · 771 votes
    4y

    We have 7 properties, use Rentler and love it

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Leake:

    I have been looking for one that will also work well with storage units but think any one of these could work well for just regular rentals!

    Two different animals. If you're only managing a few of each, a shared system may work. If you're managing an entire storage facility, you'll probably want to use a different software. I use Propertyware to manage 400 residential/commercial rentals. I use easystoragesolutions.com to manage 140 units and that includes online payments with bank or credit card. My renting process is completely automated so people can find a unit, rent, make payment, and get moved in without ever talking to me.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I use Zillow Rental Manager. I like it :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    oh its free too!

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Bud Gaffney

    maybe I’ll give Zillow a try.I’ve heard that sometimes pics won’t down load.Do you use an app or is it a web page?

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Nathan G.

    Which one do you use propertyware mobile,vendors or maintenance

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Why would anyone use an app for just a few properties....?

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Not sure that’s why I’m asking any suggestions would be appreciated.I’ve never done this before trying to figure it out.

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    How many units would one need before looking into getting some type of software

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jerad Godefroid:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Not sure that’s why I’m asking any suggestions would be appreciated.I’ve never done this before trying to figure it out.

    Then I would forget Apps for now. They are like a crutch. Make your own spreadsheets and learn the nuts and bolts of the business. When it gets too overwhelming for you then you can lean on the Apps a bit.....

    Just my .02

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    @Jerad Godefroid I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for software, not just a mobile app.

    I agree with Bob that you could easily manage up to 10 rentals with a spreadsheet. Create a separate tab for each property. Track tenant contact information, lease data, payment history, maintenance, etc.

    Once you get more units, then it may make sense to use an app or computer software. But you really need to think about "why" you are using software. Too many people do it just because they see other investors using it. They spend countless hours setting up the software and keeping it up-to-date just to track that their tenant paid rent on the first, which they probably already know in their head.

    The purpose of software (even an excel spreadsheet) is to retain information you can't keep in your head and/or to simplify your processes. For example, marketing a property on five websites can take 30-60 minutes. If you use software like TenantCloud, you can load the property into the software and with a click of a button it is published on 50 different websites.

    Don't invest time in software unless there's a reason for it. Think about what tasks are creating problems or eating up your time, then find solutions for those problems.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Nathan G.

    Thanks Bruce and Nathan

    I do plan on getting several more units and I just wanted to familiarize myself with something but what you guys are saying makes sense.I will wait till I need it instead of want it.Thank you both

  • Rental Property Investor · Bowdoinham, ME · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    @Jerad Godefroid 

    Great news Jerad! I personally use Avail, I heard about it on the podcasts through ads and decided to check it out, works really well. The customer service is on point and it has systems for reminders about rent collection and some other things. I would recommend having everything you need all set up and ready to go, I had some trouble because I was in the process of drafting a new lease with my attorney and I got ahead of myself. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Normal, IL · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 85 votes
    4y

    @Nathan G.

    Thanks for the feedback I’m not against using two different softwares to accomplish my needs! I also agree that up till about 10 units excel works fine. That’s what I’ve been using this far. I am planning to continue growing the business and do feel it’s time for that next step. Which in my mind is setting up some software to help me keep everything straight.

  • Investor · Manchester, CT · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 34 votes
    4y

    @Jerad Godefroid I’ll vouch for TenantCloud as well. They have a solution for most steps of the onboarding process from digital applications, tenant screening and rent collection. They also have ways to export information to quickbooks with their premium subscription and reports you can run to see how your business is performing. I have a referral link that gets you a discount if you’re interested

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 141 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    @Nathan G. I like the ideas you shared. Do you have a excel sheet that you’ve used to track info like you mentioned?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    I had one years ago. I'm a property manager with expensive software and I have 33 rentals, so I just manage my personal rentals with software.

    Look at the footer of any BiggerPockets page. In the left column is a page called FilePlace where you can search for spreadsheets and hundreds of other files shared by users.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.