Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
If you're a small Mom and Pop landlord in a rougher area you can get away with renting to restricted breeds...because someone has to.
Our property management company forbids dangerous breeds which include Dobermans, Pitbulls, Rotweilers off the top of my head. We make you show proof of updated vaccinations and you must get rental insurance with the pet covered and name us additional insured. That scares away a lot of dog owners, which we are fine with. They cause damage and usually leave a god awful smell (along with hair) when the tenants vacate. Cats are ok but we put a limit on that too. Anything else isn't really considered a pet.
Real Estate Agent · Shoreham, NY · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 44 votes
4y
I do pets at my rentals. I will meet the pet and determine if the pet is aggressive or not. I do charge a pet registration fee and monthly rent. I accept pets allowed by insurance company. Some breeds are restricted.
Warsaw, IN · Member since 2017 · 229 posts · 270 votes
4y
@Carol Burns Yes-our Property Management Company has limitations based on breed, which is their insurance companies’ limitation. It’s usually breeds over 50 pounds and like Rottweilers, etc., but I don’t have a full list.
If you want to call your insurance provider and confirm their limitations, that is a good first step.