Tenant has COVID but the heat is broken.

Tenant has COVID but the heat is broken.

Rental Property Investor · Bowdoinham, ME · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes

I have a tenant who just got Covid and is quarantining inside the apartment. They notified me that also the thermostat is broken and they aren't able to set it to a reasonable temperature, this is not good since as the landlord I need to keep the heat at a certain temperature (Right now in Maine temps are in single digits). But it doesn't make sense to send anybody in there to fix it if the tenant has covid. What should I do? I am thinking about getting a space heater and giving it to them to use, but this is only a temporary fix. 

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y

You have a responsibility to keep the heat on, but it is out of your control if the Tenant is sick and unwilling to allow someone entrance to do the work. I would provide them space heaters, but I would not compensate them for the additional electricity.

You can call around to plumbers and you'll find one willing to do the work. Tenant could stay upstairs all night, plumber comes in with a mask and gloves, does the work in a space not actively occupied by the tenant, and the chances of them catching COVID from that interaction is almost nil. That same plumber is far more likely to catch COVID from someone in a public space or from a customer that was infected but unaware.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Space heater(s) until they are done with quarantine.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    How big is the apartment? Can possibly get away with 2 space heaters. Keep them for future.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bowdoinham, ME · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    @Bud Gaffney 

    It’s a big apartment 2 beds and it is one and half stories. Probably at least two space heaters. Tenant pays for electricity so hopefully they are okay with paying for it if they want to stay warm.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    I'd do two space heaters as they can move them between rooms.  Remind them of the safety rules when using space heaters (placement, turning them off, etc.  And take them back when you go to repair the thermostat after they are done with quarantine.  I'd also wait a few days after their quarantine is over and make sure there is good air flow and you have a N95 mask on when you do go in.

  • Garret GetchBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lisbon Falls, ME · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    The only other thing I would add/recommend to the space heater idea is maybe give them a small break in their next rent check of about $50 to compensate them for the added electricity to their bill or perhaps a $50 gift card for groceries or even offer to drop groceries off to them since they are stuck at home for the next week.  

    This just shows them that you care about this more than just your legal requirement of keeping them warm during these freezing days.  It's simply a suggestion, but imagine how much they will praise you as their landlord to others and in a year when you have to raise rents, they will think back to the kind of landlord you are and be happy to pay so they can keep this relationship with you instead of going somewhere else, where they are treated like a burden.  Good luck to you!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    You have a responsibility to keep the heat on, but it is out of your control if the Tenant is sick and unwilling to allow someone entrance to do the work. I would provide them space heaters, but I would not compensate them for the additional electricity.

    You can call around to plumbers and you'll find one willing to do the work. Tenant could stay upstairs all night, plumber comes in with a mask and gloves, does the work in a space not actively occupied by the tenant, and the chances of them catching COVID from that interaction is almost nil. That same plumber is far more likely to catch COVID from someone in a public space or from a customer that was infected but unaware.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Tristan Scott Zell:

    I have a tenant who just got Covid and is quarantining inside the apartment. They notified me that also the thermostat is broken and they aren't able to set it to a reasonable temperature, this is not good since as the landlord I need to keep the heat at a certain temperature (Right now in Maine temps are in single digits). But it doesn't make sense to send anybody in there to fix it if the tenant has covid. What should I do? I am thinking about getting a space heater and giving it to them to use, but this is only a temporary fix. 

     Do you have your own crew that you are concerned about sending out for the job? If not, call a HVAC company, let them know the situation and they can determine if they have the capability to perform the job while staying safe. 

  • Handyman · MN · Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 46 votes
    4y

    How would you be handling this situation if they had covid but were not aware of it yet?

    Would you give them a bucket if their only toilet had stopped working, or the roof was leaking?

    Are there more safety hazards? involved with space heaters running 24/7?

    This is a very realistic situation a lot of us have been in that work on site. Sanitize things before you touch them. Wear a mask. Stay away from the infected. Wash your hands. Definitely dont lick the door knob or allow a faucet handle to touch your eyes. 

    I would much rather go in prepared instead of an unsuspected curious resident that breathes on my neck watching over my shoulder as I pull their nasty hairs out of a shower drain.

  • Real Estate Broker · Stamford, CT · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 33 votes
    4y

    @Tristan Scott Zell yeah I would shop out a tech that is OK entering with full knowledge of Covid and just fix the T-stat. If that is truly the issue, its a 15-20 minute swap.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bowdoinham, ME · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    @Nathan Gesner

    Thanks for the input, I thought about giving them a brake on rent but I felt that that could just complicate things and lead to a future problem. Good advice about the plumber, I will look around. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bowdoinham, ME · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    @Garret Getch

    Thanks for sharing Garret, yeah I see your reasoning behind giving them a brake on rent, but, I like the idea of helping out with groceries or something besides rent.

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    4y

    I assume you asked them if the batteries are dead?  90% of the time that's the problem.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    If your HVAC person can go to the parts store in public, they can go in this house. If they're worried, tell them to wait 30 seconds for the tenant to go to another room after the door is unlocked. A thermostat change out is maybe 15mins tops. Presumably, the fan wouldn't be circulating air around anyway (if that's even a risk) as the thermostat is allegedly broken.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Tristan Scott Zell

    There will be HVAC guys willing to go in. Hell, I would.

    Tell the tenant to stay away from the tech, and if it’s truly the thermostat it’s 10-15 mins in and out.

    I honestly don’t know how so many people are getting Covid anyway. I’m a contractor, a husband, a dad, a step dad, a landlord, a maintenance guy for 40+ rentals. I’ve flown to Mexico, been to every store, etc. my life hasn’t changed other than wearing a mask as needed and I’ve never caught Covid. Unless everyone has just become swingers…

  • Investor · Roebling, NJ · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 39 votes
    4y

    @Peter Anderson do we know its not just the battery on the t stat?

    Personally i would.mask up and head on in with batteries and a screwdriver. Tenant can stay in another room the entire time.

  • Investor · NY · Member since 2019 · 171 posts · 80 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Garret Getch:

    The only other thing I would add/recommend to the space heater idea is maybe give them a small break in their next rent check of about $50 to compensate them for the added electricity to their bill or perhaps a $50 gift card for groceries or even offer to drop groceries off to them since they are stuck at home for the next week.  

    This just shows them that you care about this more than just your legal requirement of keeping them warm during these freezing days.  It's simply a suggestion, but imagine how much they will praise you as their landlord to others and in a year when you have to raise rents, they will think back to the kind of landlord you are and be happy to pay so they can keep this relationship with you instead of going somewhere else, where they are treated like a burden.  Good luck to you!

    Nice gesture but I would advise against it, it opens up a can of worms that they can use in the future.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.