Jackson MS borrower died of Covid What to do next?

Jackson MS borrower died of Covid What to do next?

Investor · Jefferson City, MO · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 100 votes

I just found out that the borrower on one of the properties that I financed in Jackson MS just died of Covid last week. I don't think that the family wants the house even though I know that their dad would have wanted them to profit from rental income it could generate.  It is a small (just under 900 sq ft) 2/1 in a lower value neighborhood. The borrower was in the process of fixing it up to rent so I believe that it is currently vacant.  The family would like to deed it back to me but I would like to see them try to sell it themselves so they can possibly profit from it.  I do not live in MS and need to get my ducks in a row in case this property comes back to me.  Can anyone recommend a good rental/management company, a reasonably priced handyman, a Realtor that is good?  I also may be interested in owner financing it to an investor or owner occupant if the right person comes along.

Thanks,

Sandra Uhlmann

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

The cause of death is not important.  And while you may have good intentions of wanting the family to profit from the sale you are better served to take possession back, sell it yourself and then if you want to give the family money, you can do that. 

The family is grieving and has told you what is best for them, to give it back to you.

You own a property and the caregivers have told you they don't want it.  If you don't take it back, this could turn into a giant mess for you as the asset sits vacant and rots away.

NARPM.org is a good place to find good property managers. Tons of places to find good realtors.  I can't recommend anyone to you but I do suggest you take back possession as step one.  Then you can figure out what to do with it, step 2. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Check FB marketplace for local contacts to that area. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    The cause of death is not important.  And while you may have good intentions of wanting the family to profit from the sale you are better served to take possession back, sell it yourself and then if you want to give the family money, you can do that. 

    The family is grieving and has told you what is best for them, to give it back to you.

    You own a property and the caregivers have told you they don't want it.  If you don't take it back, this could turn into a giant mess for you as the asset sits vacant and rots away.

    NARPM.org is a good place to find good property managers. Tons of places to find good realtors.  I can't recommend anyone to you but I do suggest you take back possession as step one.  Then you can figure out what to do with it, step 2. 

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    I'm a local Jackson Investor, I could probably help you guys come up with a win-win for everyone.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    I would not try to push the house on family members that don't want it. As Scott said, you could always sell it and then donate the money to them if you feel the need to be charitable.

    Your contract with the buyer should have included the process for taking it back. Contact your attorney and start that process, then sell it. The market is hot and you shouldn't have any problems, particularly if you sell cheap.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.