Property Management company recommendation in Memphis, TN

Property Management company recommendation in Memphis, TN

Cordova, TN · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes

I would love to hear your recommendations from investors who actually uses property management company in Memphis, TN

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Curt DavisBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y

Heajin,

Understand that if Jason is having an issue its always the management company does a bad job. This is Memphis and no matter how good or set up a management company is a tenant can move out in the middle of the night and trash your place and it had nothing to do with the company. Most management companies have a specific set of criteria they have to qualify to get in the home.

Property management is a thankless profession and honestly, they do not charge enough for all the BS they deal with.

Some management companies will only manage for the homes they sell and there are some who will manage for anyone. I personally for my own portfolio use several management companies. I dont like to self manage as it is a lot of work. Companies I like are the following: Premier Property Management ( they only manage for homes/clients they sell to I believe ), SPM Management, CB Property Management. Those are ones I like.

Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    13y

    I'd love to hear too as I'm just coming out of an eviction that has taken much longer than I liked and my property is not renting. Getting ready to lower the rent I'm asking.

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Guys -

    No recommendations here because I own a property management company here in Memphis and we do not do a lot of rentals outside of the properties that we sell. But I wanted to give a little advice about a question to ask of other management companies - especially here in Memphis. You need to ask what parts of the city do they specialize for management. There are some good management companies here in the city, but you will find that the good ones specialize in areas. We are managing just under 1,900 properties and even with that many, we still specialize in parts of the city and do not manage in others. Depending on how many responses you get here from actual investors and their experiences, I'd be happy to list several that I think are good and that specialize in parts of the city.

    Chris

  • Cordova, TN · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Jason, would you mind share what company do you use currently? So I know which company I need to avoid. Thanks

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Heajin,

    Understand that if Jason is having an issue its always the management company does a bad job. This is Memphis and no matter how good or set up a management company is a tenant can move out in the middle of the night and trash your place and it had nothing to do with the company. Most management companies have a specific set of criteria they have to qualify to get in the home.

    Property management is a thankless profession and honestly, they do not charge enough for all the BS they deal with.

    Some management companies will only manage for the homes they sell and there are some who will manage for anyone. I personally for my own portfolio use several management companies. I dont like to self manage as it is a lot of work. Companies I like are the following: Premier Property Management ( they only manage for homes/clients they sell to I believe ), SPM Management, CB Property Management. Those are ones I like.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    13y

    @Curt Davis Some of it is my fault, as tenant wanted out and I didn't make it clear enough that I would let them walk. (In my defense my wife was having baby at the time so I thought I made myself clear and then let them handle it - I should have followed up). It became a battle b/n management and tenant. Tenant (Sec.8) holed up and changed the locks, stopped paying rent, they wanted out so wouldn't let management make Sec.8 required fixes, even threatened management when they tried to get in. But after getting them out, basic renovations took a month. That's why I'm unhappy. The bid alone took a week and a half. I expect a management company to have a contractor ready to rock and roll quicker than that. In Austin, I have an eviction going, got the estimate the day after they were kicked out, approved it, renovations started the next day and they listed the unit that day as well. That's what I expect. Or something close to it.

    Thanks for your recommendations. I'll check 'em out.

  • Cordova, TN · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Thanks Curt for sharing the info.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.