Do you fertilze the grass on your rentals?

Do you fertilze the grass on your rentals?

Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes

If so, how many times a year? For my primary residence, I do twice (spring/weed & fall/winterizing). I do the same for my rentals too.

Kind of a pain to fit it in with everything - while keeping visits for maintenance to a minimum as to respect the tenants' privacy.

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
12y

"Do you fertilze the grass on your rentals?"

Only when the tenants REALLY get me mad! :)

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Not a chance. Do you provide lawn mowing for single families? We do for one but that is college students. We are thinking about what to do for another single family since it is adjacent to a MF we may include mowing but for other properties in the past we had not. Fertilizing would not even cross my mind just means more mowing to me.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I definitely don't have green thumbs. If I had really nice houses in A+ neighborhoods, I'd pay landscapers to deal with the front yards only. I'd be sure they did all that extra stuff to keep them looking sharp. Unfortunately, my problems are more in line with "please don't park your car on the grass."

  • Real Estate Investor · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I have a high end rental that I do turf maintenance on which entails several services a year that include weed preventer and fertilizer as well as an annual aeration and seeding. The yard had fresh sod put down before it became a rental so my thinking was there was no way the tenant would care for it well enough to keep the grass looking good and it would cost a fortune to resod it. The tenant does the rest of the routine outdoor maintenance. I would only do this on a higher end rental.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    12y

    perhaps I'm in the minority here, however, my thinking is to protect my investment and the yard is part of the investment. I'd rather have tall grass then no grass at all, LOL.

    Like a dividend producing stock, too many landlords - IMO -just try grab the rent (ie, dividend) and neglect the appreciation (capital gain).

    Doesn't just apply to if/when I have to sell the property too...if you can maintain the yard, it makes it that much easier to attract tenants...curb appeal is the 1st impression whether selling a home or renting it.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Scott , of note here may be that all our properties are pretty wet on their own and are on septic so no problem with the grass growing in the first place. We have grass that's good enough. I would say I just view fertilizing as an extra cost with no real return. I differ from you in that I don't view it as an investment in the property. Landscaping in general yes but just greener grass no. You may be in a different area. We are on par with the average neighbor we have without fertilizing. I need to control my expenses so there is a good dividend because there is no point in having the property if their isn't a good dividend.

  • CEO · Lawrenceville, NJ · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I actually hired a company to do it all for $20 per home. If you sign a contract with a lawn service company and promise them all of your properties they will do it for cheap. My current service has about 30 properties of ours and they get $20 every 2 weeks when they come by. You get a cheaper deal if you promise them every single home you come across because its less marketing for them.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    12y

    @colleen (not sure why the @ is not working) - i always thought fertilizer promotes stronger roots and the spring gets rid of most of the weeds.

    maybe i'm going overkill with this though. i've been wrong before. and, yeah, the $22 it cost me in fertilizer affects the return a little.

    that's why i posted it here on good ol' BP!

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    "Do you fertilze the grass on your rentals?"

    Only when the tenants REALLY get me mad! :)

  • Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 1 vote
    12y

    I don't even fertilize the grass at my own place.

  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    I own a landscape company so I include weekly mowings at my rentals. I have access to free fertilizer so I apply fertilizer with weed preventer once a year. Works good. If I had to pay for it I'd say not a chance! lol

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Aaron Mazzrillo:
    Unfortunately, my problems are more in line with "please don't park your car on the grass."

    Nothing like a good laugh while reading BP. I am one of those hands on people with my rentals which means yes I spray for weeds a couple of times a year. I like a presance and really want the place to be upkept. I am trying to be more hands off on the rehabs. Rehabs and rentals in averae areas . My rentals so far are a few I want paid off in 15 years. If I start getting more my opinion might change.

  • SFR Investor · Hillsboro, OH · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Nope. Tenants are responsible for lawn care, and some of them just do the minimum while others go above and beyond. Of course my rentals are in an area where it is not a problem. I do occasionally mow a lawn or two for tenants if I'm in the area taking care of vacant properties. It takes about 5 minutes with the zero turn 72" mower lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.