Do I need a Radon test for an investment property?

Do I need a Radon test for an investment property?

Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 38 votes

How does everyone approach radon testing for investment properties? They optional, but should you do them?

Thanks!

Larry

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

@Larry Shephard and the radon " system ' is PVC pipe and a fan. Some places have radon issues more then others.It accumulates more in air tight houses. I suppose finished living area in the basement and your area is known for radon it could make sense. I haven't done it for my personal home purchases or rentals.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Are you concerned about radon for your own home? If so, you should be concerned about it for your renters. I think radon risks are exaggerated, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Radon testing is required in a few states-Florida and Maine require them-don't know the other two or so. Personally I have never tested.

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Maine · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Radon testing is required in a few states-Florida and Maine require them-don't know the other two or so. Personally I have never tested.


     I do not believe Maine requires Radon testing. At least I have never had a transaction that required them.

  • Property Manager · Bangor, ME · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 68 votes
    4y

    "Maine requires radon testing in all residential rental properties by March 1, 2014, and unless a mitigation system is installed, a tenant can request a re-test every 10 years."  

    Here's the handout from the state: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mec...

    Here's the law: https://www.mainelegislature.o...

    Here's the disclosure form: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mec...

    If those links don't work feel free to PM me and I'll send them to you different way.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Larry Shephard and the radon " system ' is PVC pipe and a fan. Some places have radon issues more then others.It accumulates more in air tight houses. I suppose finished living area in the basement and your area is known for radon it could make sense. I haven't done it for my personal home purchases or rentals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.