Furnishing long distance rental

Furnishing long distance rental

Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 14 votes

Hello everyone I'm currently investing in Fayetteville North Carolina and needed advice on furnishing a potential rental when I'm not in the area to do so myself or furnishing an Airbnb for long distance investing. Some questions I have are

Is there a company who drops off and installs furniture with purchase ?

Do you guys know a company who can furnish the whole house for a cost?

Would I probably just have to pay someone I personally trust to decorate the house for an Airbnb, or rental of a furnished house?

Thank you for any feedback.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y

Why would you trust your business to anyone without your oversight?  What is the "standard" in that market for furnishings?  You can order furniture online for delivery on a specific date but it's more than that. For an AirBnb, you need linens, washer/dryer, silverware/dining wear, everything.  There are companies who do this but I find they're competitors who do this on the side and the upcharge is substantial.

I recommend that you do a lot of research on what furnishings/design get you the greater ROI in that market and start there. If this isn't your thing, I would recommend hiring a staging company or an interior decorator to MEET you at the property - and make a scope of work and budget.

It's a great business but it's too much risk to turn over to a third party.  Set the standard and the stage to ensure your success.  

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Demon, there are a lot of services online that can help do most of the work for you, will cost, but if your long distance and busy, it’s worth it!

    I know even Cort furniture will “rent” furniture to you. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Why would you trust your business to anyone without your oversight?  What is the "standard" in that market for furnishings?  You can order furniture online for delivery on a specific date but it's more than that. For an AirBnb, you need linens, washer/dryer, silverware/dining wear, everything.  There are companies who do this but I find they're competitors who do this on the side and the upcharge is substantial.

    I recommend that you do a lot of research on what furnishings/design get you the greater ROI in that market and start there. If this isn't your thing, I would recommend hiring a staging company or an interior decorator to MEET you at the property - and make a scope of work and budget.

    It's a great business but it's too much risk to turn over to a third party.  Set the standard and the stage to ensure your success.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    4y

    @Demon S Rogers I'm sure you could hire an interior designer to get everything squared away for you. It'll be expensive. Maybe a STR property manage company would set it up for you. My company will setup Airbnb furniture.

  • Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Patricia Steiner thank you for the advice. It's not that I don't want to do its just at the moment I can't do it myself because I'm not In the area.. Your post has given me something to think about I will probably try to get someone I trust to decorate I would like to do it my self it's just at the current moment it isn't feasible. I also know for sure I would be able to find cheaper furniture.

  • Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Conner Olsen does your company do business in NC ? Yeah it just seems like an expensive option I might have to get a friend or family member to stage. I wasn't sure if there were well established companies already who did any of this work.

  • Realtor · Northampton, MA · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 33 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

    Why would you trust your business to anyone without your oversight?  What is the "standard" in that market for furnishings?  You can order furniture online for delivery on a specific date but it's more than that. For an AirBnb, you need linens, washer/dryer, silverware/dining wear, everything.  There are companies who do this but I find they're competitors who do this on the side and the upcharge is substantial.

    I recommend that you do a lot of research on what furnishings/design get you the greater ROI in that market and start there. If this isn't your thing, I would recommend hiring a staging company or an interior decorator to MEET you at the property - and make a scope of work and budget.

    It's a great business but it's too much risk to turn over to a third party.  Set the standard and the stage to ensure your success.  


    I could not agree more. The ROI on a short term rental is highly influenced by how you furnish and set up your property. Find some comparable properties and create a vision for yours. Many property management companies offer setup consultations for a cost, if you plan to have them manage. They will have good suggestions. Might not be a bad idea to hire for your first year and then take on self managing remotely, if that is your end game. Setup is key for a successful short term rental.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    4y

    @Demon S Rogers No, we only furnish properties in Austin, TX right now.

  • Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2021 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:

    @Demon S Rogers No, we only furnish properties in Austin, TX right now.


     What is your company that sets up furniture? 

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    If this is your first short term rental, I would highly recommend finding a way to get there and get eyes on it prior to booking. The first 30 days is critical to your long term success. And your setup costs will likely exceed your expectations. If you are starting a short term rental, you are getting a business off of the ground. It is a bad idea to start a business without getting your hands in the dirt of it. Don't half-a$$ this thing. Either do it properly or find someone who is as invested as you (partner, for example) that can.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chino, CA · Member since 2021 · 51 posts · 30 votes
    3y

    Hi Demon, I’m in the exact same boat right now. I wonder what work around you found successful? I feel like most of these responses don’t really address the issue. Being out of state, it is difficult to coordinate the major operations. Even simple things like where to get furniture delivered, then who will build it? 
    personally leaning towards a trustworthy PM to whom I can deliver major furniture and asking their team to build a set up big items, like bed, sofa etc. appliances are delivered anyway, so a team from my PM would have to meet them there. Then I would go out the final touches. I also did look into an interior design team and I think I will get a cost estimate just to see the comparison. An interior designer team will also fix and remodel for you, so it’s not a bad idea. Where are you investing? Good luck! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Ft. Lauderdale & Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 63 votes
    3y

    Hi @Esther Tama , where's your investment property? If you need any help furnishing and designing an airbnb in South Florida, I can do all of that for you. Check out my airbnbs and design on my profile. If you need any help or consulting, let me know. I'm happy to help!  

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I see it's not feasable for you to be there now, but if you can in the future, maybe it's worth waiting and doing it yourself. If this is an STR here's some food for thought... I furnished my 3 bdrm str which is up and running for under $1000. All used craigslist furniture. Beds, end tables, dressers, tv's, clocks radios, dining table chairs, goodwill artwork, matching couch set, lamps. My biggest expense was linens and towels, which are new of course. Ross was a good source for fake plants. My advantage is a big truck and I move fast when the ads hit. I chose to do it this way because I wasn't sure if the str would work, but so far it's off to a good start.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Metro Atlanta North · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    There definitely needs to be a dedicated person on the ground coordinating all of this, whether it's you or someone else. I've done this for other investors for furnished rentals, and there are a million little things to be considered and accomplished outside of purchasing. 

    Items need assembling, beds need to be made, trash needs to be disposed of (this is a bigger deal than you might think, an entire home's worth of cardboard boxes), you may need door locks or security cameras installed, wifi set up, tv's mounted and connected to the internet, kitchen needs to be set up functionally, sometimes remotes, light switches, etc need to be labeled.

    There is a time/money trade off here. You can absolutely furnish less expensively buying quality used items, but this takes a lot more time and effort (and probably some muscle and a truck) than ordering all new online. You can control the schedule, but not the availability of items (in a metro area, you should be fine finding deals on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc). With new, lining up deliveries for the same time period can be a challenge, even if ordering from one vendor. I usually do a combination of new/used.

    If being there yourself isn't an option, I think finding someone somewhat local or within a few hours driving distance (if they have capability to receive/transport items) is the most economical, but it will still cost you. You want someone with an eye for design and attention to detail who can take ownership of the whole project, rather than "task rabbit" type people who will do exactly what they're asked but not look at the big picture and make sure you're off to a great start for your first guests (though task rabbit can be great for knocking an item or two off your to-do list).

    I'm available in the Southeast if anyone needs a setup! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 137 posts · 106 votes
    3y

    Hey Demon! Check out Showplace (showplacewholesaleDOTcom). They've done awesome work for my clients and have them earning on the high end of their neighborhoods on Airbnb. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.