Applicant tries to dictate and lies

Applicant tries to dictate and lies

Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes

What should be done when an applicant comes to view a property and tries to find things to complain about but the applicant wants to rent the property badly and lies about the statements of the leasing officer.

I recently had an applicant come to view a property. The applicant said I dont like the steps and the kitchen floor can you change it. The applicant calls as soon as he gets finish viewing asking about the next step to rent the property and stated that the person who showed him the property did not have any applications. The applicant asked could he take a application which he was told we dont give them out, if you have your information you can fill one out, which he didnt. The applicant set up another date to fill out an application.

My decision is to tell him when you rent the construction and features are as is not optional. Can we change the carpet, or change the floor. To tell him that he lied and we are honest and striaght forward. I have decided not to rent to him just let him fill out an application if he wants.

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
12y

That possible tenant is showing no integrity and passive/ aggressiveness tendencies.

Don't try to figure out WHY they are a certain way or make sense of it. Just move on to the next applicant. I tried to do that years ago. You can't make sense out of nonsense.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    12y

    Im curious as to why you do not allow applications to be taken? I prefer them to be filled in completely and I feel a policy such as yours would create incomplete apps.....either because the applicant may not recall all of the contact numbers or other info asked for or that they may feel rushed in filling it out on the spot.

    I prefer to email the apps out when they call me on a vacancy. The serious ones bring completed apps to the showing and I can begin reviewing the app and ask questions face to face.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y

    Tell tenant "no, we don't change floors. The unit will be rented as is."

    Why don't you let tenants take home applications to fill out?

    And why call a prospective tenant a liar? Move on to the next applicant....

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Rental properties are just that rental properties, if they don't like the floors, they should look for another property in which they like they floors. If they start off with such complaints, it's only going to get worse. Either they like it and it will work for their family structure or it won't.

    Rent the property as is.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @Jon K. I dont give out applications because I only have recieved two back out of 58 given out. Toner and copier paper cost. Most serious tenants come prepared.

    The applicant lied because I was the one who showed the property. So I knew he was lying about the applications and having his info to fill the application out.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Robert Carl:
    I dont give out applications because I only have recieved two back out of 58 given out. Toner and copier paper cost. Most serious tenants come prepared.

    Usually my applicants fill out an application onsite. If they say they are "taking one to fill out" then 99% of the time I never hear from them again. I would much rather they leave without taking one rather than try to be polite and waste my paper.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Well, don't actually call him a liar to his face. Just say "thanks for your interest but we're going with another applicant". And you're not lying yourself....you are going with another applicant, you just haven't met yet. You do not owe him answers or explinations if he says "I'm the only applicant". Just repeat and tell them to have a good day...or it if it was in an email, simply don't respond.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    12y

    If you're concerned about the cost of paper and toner for your rental applications then I can only imagine what happens when something breaks around there. I can run off 500 rental applications on my laser printer at a cost of about $5. I generally get back about 10% of the applications that people take with them, so $5 for 50 applications back isn't a big deal as I see it. A lot of people want to see more than one property so they don't always want to fill out the application on the spot even if they are truly interested.

    As for making any changes those are generally shot down on the spot. I'll occasionally change something small like a faucet or a light fixture by request but if the flooring is in good shape it's staying.

    If you don't feel comfortable with an applicant then you should never accept that person. Sometimes I'll just get a bad vibe from someone and pass. "Sorry, we accepted a different applicant. Good luck with your search."

  • Sun Prairie, WI · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    I always get an email address from someone on first contact, if possible. I then email them the application and guidelines. Most of the serious applicants then print it off themselves, fill it out and return it at the time of viewing.

    I'd definitely shoot down any unnecessary repairs immediately at the viewing. Let them get the idea that you aren't going to be walked all over.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    12y

    Another possible approach - as politely and in as chilly a tone as you can manage... "sounds like this property isn't a match for you, have a nice day."

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    That possible tenant is showing no integrity and passive/ aggressiveness tendencies.

    Don't try to figure out WHY they are a certain way or make sense of it. Just move on to the next applicant. I tried to do that years ago. You can't make sense out of nonsense.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @Patrick L. I run everything myself. It is more time efficient to do everything at one time. Serious applicants bring everything they need. Quick, easy, done.

    1. All applicants are informed of documents needed to apply.

    2. Why make two trips when I can make one? 2X the gas and 2X the time.

    3. Less time(1hr), money,and gas running to the store for cartridges and paper that cost more than $5. Less time printing more applications.

    The time adds up. Then your day/week/month is gone with little stuff.

    I gut and redo houses. We talking about time management. Just gutted one and have another waiting to be started.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    If a landlord is worried about a few dollars in print paper, the tenant should hold his wallet an run because that is not a type of landlord you want to rent from.


    Joe Gore
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.