Landlord Giving Hard Time for Repairs.

Landlord Giving Hard Time for Repairs.

New to Real Estate · San Jose, CA · Member since 2022 · 67 posts · 23 votes

Hi BP Family! I have a question for you but from the tenant side.

I am currently renting a house in California and yesterday the garage door spring decided to give way and the garage rolled down as I was passing under it, luckily missing be by just a few inches (I was on foot, not in my car). I informed my landlord that the door needs to be fixed and she requested I call the home warranty company which I did and they sent a technician out. The technician said the repairs aren't covered by the warranty since its an issue with the spring system and not the motor and quoted $650. I conveyed this info to my landlord and forwarded the report and quote to them and they said that they think it is too expensive and recommended I do "diligence". Mind you, things at this house break all the time and whenever any technician comes to fix whatever broke, the technicians all same the same thing: whoever built the house installed the cheapest material on the market. I'm pretty sick of always having to call the warranty company myself and waste time scheduling appointments. Am I wrong in assuming this is something my landlord has to do? If they dont like the quoted price shouldn't they be the ones looking up other quotes? I feel like I already have been doing a lot of the work that my landlord should be doing. Please let me know if I am wrong or any suggestions you may have on how I should go about this?

Just a side note, I have been at this house for 3 years and haven't missed a single rent payment. I have also been the one paying the fee for whenever a technician comes to the house to repair something.

Thank you and I appreciate you all!

1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
4y

@Mohammed Nasser look me up if you decide to move to Seattle. I love tenants that pay rent and then also arrange and pay for all the repairs as well. That was the sarcastic answer. The real answer is your landlord is responsible for the repairs (unless of course you cause the damages).

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    4y

    @Mohammed Nasser

    I often have the tenant schedule an appointment with the contractor, but I do not have them negotiate with contractors. I would put it back on the landlord that they are responsible for hiring a contractor and you would be happy to schedule the appointment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.