Do you take photos for move in and move out?

Do you take photos for move in and move out?

SoCal · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 9 votes

Do you guys take photos and document the condition of your rentals when a tenant moves in and also moves out? If so, why or why not? 

Do you allow the tenants to see those photos if they ask or dispute a charge when they move out?

When I previously rented a place I would take my own photos as a tenant but curious if it's in my interest as a landlord or a property manager to do the same. I imagine pros would be having some sort of proof that the tenant damaged the place under their watch and having some sort of recourse for it. Cons would be having to keep track of all the photos and stuff.


So what do you guys do for it? Do property managers do this for you or are there prop management apps that include this feature on top of managing tenant payments and stuff? 

Also would love to hear if you are a prop manager or just a regular landlord who's handling their own rentals. I plan on managing my own.

0Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Aloha,

I take photos when a property is acquired, whether occupied or not, and if vacant, once it is rent ready. I also take approximately annual photos of all occupied units, including under sinks, overall views of ceilings, or anywhere there are (or could be) the slightest sign of leaks; and of any items needing repair, whether tenant or owner responsibility, and whether they have been previously reported or not. At move outs, I generally focus on areas noted in need of repair or cleaning, although I also take overall views for the benefit of the owner. For large repairs or renovations, I also take NUMEROUS progress photos at least weekly, if not daily, depending on the project. If it is a roof, or crawl space job, I have the contractor send me photos, before, during, and upon completion. RTR pics will include views appropriate for advertising, including amenities and possibly street view. It is quite surprising how many prospective tenants see my properties and exclaim "Gee, it looks just like in the pictures...the last couple properties sure did not!"

The quality of images you can take with a cellphone is great...once downloaded on your 32" desktop you can go full screen and zoom in to see excellent details, documenting your findings. Even inside a wall when investigating pipe leaks! I often complete my "move in" condition form from the RTR images prior to meeting tenant for the inspection, as it saves a lot of time. It is simple to reduce the size of a group of images if you are going to email them. I always send owners most, if not all, of the pics I take at their properties, and I always write up my repair recommendations for them directly from the photos.

The key to taking useful pics is to have an organized system of HOW you will routinely walk through a property. You need to be thorough, but also be clear about where you are (without having to make new filenames for every pic!). For unique projects or repair issues, you need a wide view that easily identifies what part of the house you are looking at. Usually the narrow area of interest would be more or less centered in the wide view, then you can take closer views to show more detail. Typically the very first pic I will take at a property (or apartment) will be of the address or apartment number on/next to the front door for easy ID when moving to folders. For most rooms, a view from the doorway, followed by a view back TO the doorway from opposite corner generally will show the entire room. Add detail views for that room before moving to the next room. Generally, you are trying to tell a story with pics, not just taking a bunch of random photos. To be clear, I typically spend no more than 15 to 20 minutes for full RTR pics (which includes in every cabinet and drawer, under sinks, inside of appliances), and usually 10 minutes or less on annual inspections and moveouts. Depending on size of the unit, this will be 30 - 200 images.

My cellphone backs up photos to a cloud service, which I then download to my desktop when I return to the office. I keep files for each property by address, with a subfolder for each individual unit, which in turn have subfolders named RTR, movein (if any discrepancy IS noted by tenant at walk through inspection), moveout, or specific incident (water leak) followed by six digit date they were taken IN THE FILENAME (separate from the file date generated by your system). With this system, I can quickly and easily refresh my memory when a tenant calls about an issue, or to recheck the movein condition of a specific area or element at the moveOUT. I can also send a pic of their appliance to my appliance repair person so they are prepared on arrival for most common issues. Same for plumbers, I can send them a pic of the water heater installation (usually with the model tag readable) or other pertinent information for the task at hand. I never provide pics to tenants, but do advise them they are welcome to take their own for their records.

I will also have a "tenant" file, which will have subfolders for each household group, containing copy of their rental docs and any letters sent to them over the course of their tenancy. If there are House rules or other docs for an entire building with multiple units, I will just have one copy in the property address folder that I can print or email whenever necessary.
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    Photos and video

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    We do video in and out. If tenants want to see the video no problem. We will take pics of any damage as well.

  • SoCal · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    We do video in and out. If tenants want to see the video no problem. We will take pics of any damage as well.

    What do you use to take the video and organize it? 

    Do you have your property manager do a comparison before and after or is this mostly just for liability reasons?
  • SoCal · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    Photos and video


     Gotcha thanks. What do you use to organize and store all the media for each tenant? How many units are you managing? 

    I don’t want gigs of photos and videos randomly placed all over my computer i already have that problem ha

  • Real Estate Professional · Hayfork, CA · Member since 2015 · 231 posts · 212 votes
    4y

    Also, take photos if you complete a repair or replace an appliance/amenity during the tenancy.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Aloha,

    I take photos when a property is acquired, whether occupied or not, and if vacant, once it is rent ready. I also take approximately annual photos of all occupied units, including under sinks, overall views of ceilings, or anywhere there are (or could be) the slightest sign of leaks; and of any items needing repair, whether tenant or owner responsibility, and whether they have been previously reported or not. At move outs, I generally focus on areas noted in need of repair or cleaning, although I also take overall views for the benefit of the owner. For large repairs or renovations, I also take NUMEROUS progress photos at least weekly, if not daily, depending on the project. If it is a roof, or crawl space job, I have the contractor send me photos, before, during, and upon completion. RTR pics will include views appropriate for advertising, including amenities and possibly street view. It is quite surprising how many prospective tenants see my properties and exclaim "Gee, it looks just like in the pictures...the last couple properties sure did not!"

    The quality of images you can take with a cellphone is great...once downloaded on your 32" desktop you can go full screen and zoom in to see excellent details, documenting your findings. Even inside a wall when investigating pipe leaks! I often complete my "move in" condition form from the RTR images prior to meeting tenant for the inspection, as it saves a lot of time. It is simple to reduce the size of a group of images if you are going to email them. I always send owners most, if not all, of the pics I take at their properties, and I always write up my repair recommendations for them directly from the photos.

    The key to taking useful pics is to have an organized system of HOW you will routinely walk through a property. You need to be thorough, but also be clear about where you are (without having to make new filenames for every pic!). For unique projects or repair issues, you need a wide view that easily identifies what part of the house you are looking at. Usually the narrow area of interest would be more or less centered in the wide view, then you can take closer views to show more detail. Typically the very first pic I will take at a property (or apartment) will be of the address or apartment number on/next to the front door for easy ID when moving to folders. For most rooms, a view from the doorway, followed by a view back TO the doorway from opposite corner generally will show the entire room. Add detail views for that room before moving to the next room. Generally, you are trying to tell a story with pics, not just taking a bunch of random photos. To be clear, I typically spend no more than 15 to 20 minutes for full RTR pics (which includes in every cabinet and drawer, under sinks, inside of appliances), and usually 10 minutes or less on annual inspections and moveouts. Depending on size of the unit, this will be 30 - 200 images.

    My cellphone backs up photos to a cloud service, which I then download to my desktop when I return to the office. I keep files for each property by address, with a subfolder for each individual unit, which in turn have subfolders named RTR, movein (if any discrepancy IS noted by tenant at walk through inspection), moveout, or specific incident (water leak) followed by six digit date they were taken IN THE FILENAME (separate from the file date generated by your system). With this system, I can quickly and easily refresh my memory when a tenant calls about an issue, or to recheck the movein condition of a specific area or element at the moveOUT. I can also send a pic of their appliance to my appliance repair person so they are prepared on arrival for most common issues. Same for plumbers, I can send them a pic of the water heater installation (usually with the model tag readable) or other pertinent information for the task at hand. I never provide pics to tenants, but do advise them they are welcome to take their own for their records.

    I will also have a "tenant" file, which will have subfolders for each household group, containing copy of their rental docs and any letters sent to them over the course of their tenancy. If there are House rules or other docs for an entire building with multiple units, I will just have one copy in the property address folder that I can print or email whenever necessary.
  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    4y

    I take 360 photos using the zInspector app and Ricoh Theta camera. I take videos for things I need to capture movements, such as water draining through toilets/bathtubs/sinks. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @David L.:

    It is foolish to not take photos. Digital photographs are cheap and easy and the quality of today's cameras leaves no excuse. I used to have a $500 camera with a $600 lens to take my marketing photos, but now I use my phone camera and the pictures are just as good.

    Take detailed photos before they move in and after they move out. I use a 360 camera for general photos of each room and then my phone camera for detailed photos. Make sure your photos show every wall, floor, ceiling, cabinets and doors opened/closed, inside and outside of appliances, windows/screens/window covers from inside and outside, lawn from all four corners, etc. 

    The method I use:

    1. Conduct a quick walk-through of the rental to assess whether there's any cleaning/repairs that will need to be documented. If the place is clean as a whistle, I stick to 360 photos of each room and call it a day. If there's cleaning or damages needed, I'll identify those areas for close-up photos later.

    2. Turn on all lights. Close doors to every room/closet. Open all cabinets in kitchen, bathroom, laundry, etc.

    3. Take pictures starting at the street and work my way through to the back. If it's an apartment building, I start at the parking lot and work my way through common areas and into the apartment to ensure I capture any damages in common areas.

    4. Each room starts with all lights on, all doors closed, blinds/curtains closed. I take pictures of every door (front, back, and spine where they are commonly split). I take picture of window that shows glass in tact, as well as the screen.

    5. Kitchen starts with all cabinets open to show they are empty and clean. If not empty/clean, then I take a close up to document. Interior of each appliance so that every inch is visible (may need multiple photos). I take a picture of the sink running to show that I checked for leaks and ran the disposal. I then take another 360 photo will all the cabinets closed to document exterior of doors and drawers.

    6. Bathroom often requires multiple photos to capture everything because the space is so small. Cabinets open, then closed. Three sides of the door. Toilet open and closed. Sink running. Tub/shower running. Ventilation fan clean, lights work, etc.

    7. Pictures of systems like forced air furnace, water heater, etc. 

    8. Garage door open/closed. Garage floor, driveway floor. Pictures of the remotes (I always leave them in the drawer closest to the kitchen sink) and keys.

    9. All exterior walls, doors, windows, vents, roof, etc.

    10. Yard, fencing, patio, deck, etc. Use angles that ensure every inch is visible in at least one picture.

    When you get your process down, a 3bed/2bath home with garage and yard should take about 30 minutes when clean. When dirty/damaged, documentation may take 60 - 90 minutes, but it will save your bacon if you end up in front of a judge.

    I started heavily documenting with pictures in 2010. With up to 200 turnovers per year and 12 years of experience, I haven't been sued once. I've had less than 50 tenants push back on charges and about half of those were honest mistakes on the part of my staff and we ended up giving some money back. The other half disappeared once I gave them copies of my photos proving my position.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @David L.:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    Photos and video


     Gotcha thanks. What do you use to organize and store all the media for each tenant? How many units are you managing? 

    I don’t want gigs of photos and videos randomly placed all over my computer i already have that problem ha

    Google Drive, I just have a folder for each property with 2 sub folders, documents and photos
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @David L.Of course, I take pictures of every single room-- and then a 3-5 minute walk-through video.    

    You need to show every single thing you could possibly take off for, such as broken blinds/windows/missing smoke detectors, holes in the walls, etc.   Without a doubt-- every single time I tell a tenant I am removing $$$ for them removing a blind as an example, they say "no, there was never a blind there" and I say "here is a picture of when you moved in"-- -case closed.     Anything I tell them "I'm taking off for this" they debate it, and the only way you win is with proof.

    Pictures and proof are your best friend.   Words on a paper are subjective, but pictures are clear-- I tell tenants, I'm taking pics/video, you should too!

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    4y

    I take pictures of damage and forward it with their remaining security deposit in case they forgot how they left the property. 

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 312 posts · 282 votes
    4y

    Yep. Keeps the conversations fact-based. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    4y

    Absolutely. Photos and videos of before a tenant moves in and after. I usually setup a gmail account for each of my properties. I then use the corresponding google drive to store photos/videos so I can access/forward them from anywhere. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I don't do photos, but I have a checklist of every item in the house.

    Tenant and I walk the property and check off the condition of every item, and then both of us sign off on it. 

  • SoCal · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    Thanks these are all great responses. I hadn't realized the process is quite important esp if you have a larger number of rentals. So it got me thinking actually, most people seem to just be using their computer folder structure and maybe google photos and manually renaming files, folders, and stuff. Being that I work as a software engineer it might not be too difficult to build something specific for that workflow.

    From what I'm reading from @Nathan Gesner @Richard F. @Linda S. @Russell Brazil @Soh Tanaka and everyone else, it's best if you take quicker succession of pictures as you walk through, take a few closeup details, and then upload them later and figure out how to clump them together in some sort of album on your desktop computer with the rest of the files.

    I use google photos heavily for personal photos but if I'm looking to look up some water repair invoice or photos for an unit from 3 years ago, I'd have to sort through a ton of photos and files to find that, which is why I was asking originally because I have so many photos on my drive already it's cumbersome to sort through. I tried to find a picture of the garage for a house I lived in and it took me 20 mins lol. Adding properties with repetitive photos (for each tenant over time) would also be annoying to manage.

    I'm thinking it wouldn't be all that difficult to make a mini property doc library app that you just log into and it shows a list of all your properties and drills down to shows all the media files and docs in order by like move in, move out, water leak repair #1, fridge repair, water leak repair #2, with some sort of search function.

    If I made something like this, would anyone else be interested in using this or does this seem unnecessary? I'm always looking to automate stuff in my life, it would be cool to just type a tenant name or property address and have it bring up everything I uploaded in order 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.