What to do with the giant window in the shower

What to do with the giant window in the shower

Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hi folks,

I am house hacking. I live in one half of my duplex, and my intention is to hopefully rent my apartment one day. My bathroom is HIDEOUS, and I'm planning the best reno for it. I am stumped by the window. It's a very old house so it has a regular window in it, from when it was just a tub and not even a shower/tub combo. In my head I have three options and I'm unsure which is best, or maybe I'm missing another option:

1. Leaving the design as is and just putting in a new vinyl window, but then I feel I would have to do this same deal of having a clear shower curtain cover it for the rest of its life to make sure water damage doesn't happen around the window, and I don't know if a tenant will always do that. I'd also have to do tile/grout for the shower and from what I hear, tenants get that nasty sometimes

2.  Installing glass block window, but a contractor told me they're a pain inside a shower and not worth the expense - and again, I would have to have tile/grout, and that might get nasty with tenants

3. Removing the window entirely and bricking it up. That might be the safest option for future tenants and would allow me to just put in a tub surround, but obviously takes away some great natural light and ventilation. 

My question is: what do you recommend that would be the most tenant-proof, yet maybe not so hideous? It's a delicate balance of living in a space that you want to be nice, but also preparing to rent one day. I appreciate your suggestions!

The photo wouldn't upload so here's a link to what the window is like in my shower:

0Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

I would go with what Scott Mac suggested. I've never heard this described as a California style window, but that design is common here. 

Reduce the size of the window and leave a smaller sliding window. A properly installed window will not allow water to damage the surrounding wall. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    You soooo have to google "what to do with a window in a shower..."  Bob Villa, every "Pinterester," builders, designers have all weighed in.  The problem with old houses - and I am attempting to survive my own historic home - is renovation is not the stuff of Home Depot and HGTV.  It's always got something else going on that the last guy did on a wing and prayer that adds tons of drama.  Glass Block is being demolished everywhere...no one wants it - it's day has come and gone.  But "Bob" likes etching and someone made a super cool acrylic window shutter (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/...) that totally updates the space without any demo.  You've got this...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    How about a California style shower window.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Rae Mac  what exterior do you have ?  When you say brick it up does that mean you have a brick exterior and there will be a negative impact to the facade if you close it off?   If that is the case a  frosted non- opening vinyl window could be your best compromise. No little shower curtain just all vinyl and vinyl trim.   

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I have a window in my shower. It was an aluminum single pane piece of crap that did open at one time. I replaced it with a vinyl “picture window” that doesn’t open, with frosted glass for privacy. Make sure you get tempered glass to avoid any code issues down the road when you go to sell. Most areas want tempered glass in a shower. 
    Also for code, you’ll need either an exhaust fan or operating window. 

  • Contractor · AZ · Member since 2022 · 215 posts · 185 votes
    4y

    1. Don't do glass block.

    2. It is not uncommon to have a window "in" the shower, but it's usually long and narrow and towards the top of the shower so it doesn't get drenched every time you shower. IMO this is the preferred solution because you still get some natural light and ventilation.

    3. You can also close off the window completely, but be aware that building code requires bathrooms to have ventilation via either A) an operable window or B) an exhaust fan vented to the outside. In short, you may need to add an exhaust fan if you close off the window.

    4) If you remodel your tile tub surround, you will have to demo it back to the studs. At this point it should be fairly easy to frame in a smaller window (see #2) or completely frame in the opening (see #3). Keep it the same width or narrower and keep the top of the window at the same level - that way you don't need to mess with the header. Repairing your exterior siding may be a challenge depending on what kind of siding you have.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I recently did a renovation in one of my rentals that had this exact same problem with the window of about the same size. I closed off the wall completely with the exception of a ventilation fan in the farthest corner from the shower head. The bathroom is now better ventilated (tenants will not open a window to ventilate in the winter when they are most likely to use hot water), it's more private, and it's harder to damage. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks for your thoughts! It is brick exterior, but it also is up against my neighbor's house with a ~15-20 ft wide sidewalk in between so nobody would really be seeing it. I never thought about a non-opening vinyl window. Would the area around the window be susceptible to leaks?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    I would go with what Scott Mac suggested. I've never heard this described as a California style window, but that design is common here. 

    Reduce the size of the window and leave a smaller sliding window. A properly installed window will not allow water to damage the surrounding wall. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 63 votes
    4y

    Whose idea was it to put windows in a shower stall anyway? That is the worst. All it seems to do is open you up for cracks in the grout and tile and letting water seep though behind the tile. Depending on the location of that window and what your exterior is... I would close it up if possibly and install an exhaust fan. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.