Garage Door Repair / Replacement for Gilbert AZ rental

Garage Door Repair / Replacement for Gilbert AZ rental

Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 10 votes

Hi there,

I purchased a SFH in Gilbert last Nov for long tern rentals and manage it from out of state. it's build in 2008.

on 7/22, the tenant told me the bracket came loose and the door won't close, the had one man came to check and said: the motor failed and one of the screws apparently on the top of the door malfunctioned and the motor just kept pulling the door instead of stopping. They said they don't make replacement parts any more for this door and is recommending a new door and motor. 

Since I'm out of state and traveling this month, my tenant helped get 3 quotes from 2 different companies:

1. Installed 16x8 Garage Door Amarr oak summit Long Panel Color White, Installed Garage Door Opener Liftmaster Model 8155W Two Remote controls Keyless Entry Two take down Two Haul away Parts and labor $2500

2. From a different company:

2.1 Model: 1st UDT 224, 24 Gauge, Size: 16'x08' + Liftmaster model 84501 (8' Rail, 1 Remote, Wall Button, Sensors, LED Light, Built­in),  $3700

2.2 Model: 1st UDT 225, 25 Gauge, Size: 16'x08' + Liftmaster model 84501 (8' Rail, 1 Remote, Wall Button, Sensors, LED Light, Built­in), $3050

Anyone has suggestions how to proceed would be really helpful for me! Thank you!!! 

1. Anyone knows some good company can can repair the garage door?

2. Any experience on garage door replacement cost and any recommendation on the company?

Attached some picture in case they helps. 

Thanks again!

Bei

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
4y

I use BBB Garage in Mesa AZ and have been for 6-7 years.  Replacing a garage door and motor should be around $2000.  $500 for the opener and $1500 for the door.  

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    I did one for my whole condo but it was about 4 times the price, i researched youtube/ratings and made a few phone calls to garage door mechanics what the best motor would be, maybe you could just make some more calls!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    A door built in 2008 and they don't make parts for it any more? I don't see anything unusual about that door that would prevent them from repairing it. It looks like it could be repaired and shouldn't cost more than $1,000. I would try to get another opinion or two and see if this can be repaired.

    $2,500 sounds about right for a new door and motor.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    4y

    I use BBB Garage in Mesa AZ and have been for 6-7 years.  Replacing a garage door and motor should be around $2000.  $500 for the opener and $1500 for the door.  

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    4y

    I got a new door and motor for around $1600 but that was at the beginning of the year. I agree above I think $2k should be the max price

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Thanks everyone. Lastly I went with a company called AZ garage and final cost was:

    The cost of the door 16x8 is 1485.00 total
    Opener 445.00 genie brand
    The door is from Uniqe garage

    He directly contacted with my tenant and changed it in a day. My tenant says he is pretty good and very happy with the new door.

    The cost was the lowest among all the quotes I got. 

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bei He:

    Thanks everyone. Lastly I went with a company called AZ garage and final cost was:

    The cost of the door 16x8 is 1485.00 total
    Opener 445.00 genie brand
    The door is from Uniqe garage

    He directly contacted with my tenant and changed it in a day. My tenant says he is pretty good and very happy with the new door.

    The cost was the lowest among all the quotes I got. 


     That's great to know thank you Bei!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.