Rookie investor. Sell or rent out?

Rookie investor. Sell or rent out?

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hi all, 

I am a rookie investor. I do operate a business outside of real estate in California that gave me the opportunity to hire a builder and build a duplex in Florida 20 minutes away from the beach. The property is going to be completely done this month and i don't know what to do with it. Should I rent it out? or should I try to sell it?


If i were to rent it out, where would i start? LLC, no LLC? Property management company, or no? Keep in mind i live in CA and the property is in FL.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Petr Topov:

Petr, do you know why you're having difficulty making a decision? Because you don't have a goal.

You're asking us to give you directions, but we don't really know where you are and we definitely don't know where you want to go. Imagine calling a stranger on the phone and asking them, "How do I get to the place I want to be?" 

Where are you? Where are you trying to go? When do you want to get there? Are you walking or rollerblading? If you have a car, do you have the money for gas?

Buying property just because it's sexy may work out if you get lucky. Having a plan, even a weak one, is far more likely to make you successful. And if you can share that plan with us, we're better able to help you when you hit a dead end.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Devin JamesPro Member
    Developer · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 502 posts · 306 votes
    3y

    Hey Petr Topov,

    Renting out vs. selling depends on your personal goals. Without anymore information, I would say rent it out and to definitely use a property management company if your budget allows it. Also, I recommend putting the property in a LLC.

    Usually when I speak with seasoned investors, their only regrets are "I wish I bought more" & "I wish I never sold"

    Congrats & Goodluck!!

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devin James:

    Hey Petr Topov,

    Renting out vs. selling depends on your personal goals. Without anymore information, I would say rent it out and to definitely use a property management company if your budget allows it. Also, I recommend putting the property in a LLC.

    Usually when I speak with seasoned investors, their only regrets are "I wish I bought more" & "I wish I never sold"

    Congrats & Goodluck!!


     Thank you for the advice James,

    Is there a service that helps out-of-state investors get set up properly with paperwork in FL? I have no clue where to start. Someone that has the experience would help me greatly. Thank you. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    You can always try and sell and see if you can turn a nice profit given the RE market is softening.

    If you don't get a good price, you can always keep it and rent it.

  • Devin JamesPro Member
    Developer · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 502 posts · 306 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Petr Topov:
    Quote from @Devin James:

    Hey Petr Topov,

    Renting out vs. selling depends on your personal goals. Without anymore information, I would say rent it out and to definitely use a property management company if your budget allows it. Also, I recommend putting the property in a LLC.

    Usually when I speak with seasoned investors, their only regrets are "I wish I bought more" & "I wish I never sold"

    Congrats & Goodluck!!


     Thank you for the advice James,

    Is there a service that helps out-of-state investors get set up properly with paperwork in FL? I have no clue where to start. Someone that has the experience would help me greatly. Thank you. 


     Im not too sure, I would ask a lawyer who specializes in this topic. You can probably find one here in BiggerPockets.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    You can always try and sell and see if you can turn a nice profit given the RE market is softening.

    If you don't get a good price, you can always keep it and rent it.

    Probably will do that. Not sure how well it will sell with nowadays mortgage rates. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Never know till you try.

    Start advertising now on Zillow which is free.

  • Garrett CrosbyPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, United States · Member since 2021 · 392 posts · 162 votes
    3y

    Hi @Petr Topov - thanks for the post. 

    Lot's of good comments here, so I don't want to reiterate too much of what others have said. Instead, I will share a piece of advice that I give a lot of my clients who are investors here in LA.

    In all my years, I've never had someone tell me "I'm glad I sold when I did." unless they were a house flipper or investor 1031 exchanging the property for another. I share this because, in my opinion, as long as the property is cash-flowing and you have no other immediate use for the funds from selling right now, I would continue to hold the property, get a property manager and collect the rent. Real estate always appreciates over time, and there may come a time in life when you are glad you held on to this property... whether you need to cash-out refinance for your kid's college, sell it for retirement, pay for emergency medical treatment, or simply use it to leverage funds to buy more. My general rule of thumb is "if you can hold an asset, you should." :)

    Hope this helps. Always available to chat offline if you have any questions or need help selling. :)

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Garrett Crosby:

    Hi @Petr Topov - thanks for the post. 

    Lot's of good comments here, so I don't want to reiterate too much of what others have said. Instead, I will share a piece of advice that I give a lot of my clients who are investors here in LA.

    In all my years, I've never had someone tell me "I'm glad I sold when I did." unless they were a house flipper or investor 1031 exchanging the property for another. I share this because, in my opinion, as long as the property is cash-flowing and you have no other immediate use for the funds from selling right now, I would continue to hold the property, get a property manager and collect the rent. Real estate always appreciates over time, and there may come a time in life when you are glad you held on to this property... whether you need to cash-out refinance for your kid's college, sell it for retirement, pay for emergency medical treatment, or simply use it to leverage funds to buy more. My general rule of thumb is "if you can hold an asset, you should." :)

    Hope this helps. Always available to chat offline if you have any questions or need help selling. :)


     Thanks a lot for the advice Garrett. 

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I’d lean towards renting it. Your major maintenance issues should be low / non existent for years to come. I’d love to get into BTR someday especially if it could be BTR-brrrr type hybrid. 

    Sounds like you need to interview some quality property managers, specifically. I’d begin researching that. 

    I’d also suggest renting one side out for long term leases and the other side as short term, assuming the area is desirable for vacationing. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Petr Topov:

    Petr, do you know why you're having difficulty making a decision? Because you don't have a goal.

    You're asking us to give you directions, but we don't really know where you are and we definitely don't know where you want to go. Imagine calling a stranger on the phone and asking them, "How do I get to the place I want to be?" 

    Where are you? Where are you trying to go? When do you want to get there? Are you walking or rollerblading? If you have a car, do you have the money for gas?

    Buying property just because it's sexy may work out if you get lucky. Having a plan, even a weak one, is far more likely to make you successful. And if you can share that plan with us, we're better able to help you when you hit a dead end.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Rent it out, market is very slow and you want to build wealth. Have your tenant pay off your mortgage 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Why did you build in the first place? 

    What changed for you to question that original strategy?

    Additionally, research your potential ROI from long-term renting and STR, to compare to your ROI from selling. Having all the numbers typically makes decisions easier.

    If you keep it, look long and hard at the cost of putting it into an LLC. Whatever state you start the LLC in, you will usually have to register that LLC in the other state - increasing costs.

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    I would rent it out. Short term rental. Find a lawyer in your area on bigger pockets and ask what he recommends but I think an entity would be the best idea. 

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Petr Topov:

    Petr, do you know why you're having difficulty making a decision? Because you don't have a goal.

    You're asking us to give you directions, but we don't really know where you are and we definitely don't know where you want to go. Imagine calling a stranger on the phone and asking them, "How do I get to the place I want to be?" 

    Where are you? Where are you trying to go? When do you want to get there? Are you walking or rollerblading? If you have a car, do you have the money for gas?

    Buying property just because it's sexy may work out if you get lucky. Having a plan, even a weak one, is far more likely to make you successful. And if you can share that plan with us, we're better able to help you when you hit a dead end.


     Nailed it. Thank you for the input.

  • Attorney · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 79 votes
    3y

    I think that the answer largely depends on what your overall goal is. If you are looking to scale the business then maybe look at a Series LLC if you are content with one home then you can look at having a couple LLCs. One thing I would recommend is to having separate LLCs to keep property management separate from the asset holding business.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 569 posts · 257 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Petr Topov:

    Hi all, 

    I am a rookie investor. I do operate a business outside of real estate in California that gave me the opportunity to hire a builder and build a duplex in Florida 20 minutes away from the beach. The property is going to be completely done this month and i don't know what to do with it. Should I rent it out? or should I try to sell it?


    If i were to rent it out, where would i start? LLC, no LLC? Property management company, or no? Keep in mind i live in CA and the property is in FL.

    Any advice would be appreciated. 


     Look at your net operating income and divide it by your total amount of cash invested. This will give your cash on cash return to see if thats a good return in your eyes. 

    I would compare how many years it would take to collect your initial investment in comparison to selling it. If it takes less than 2-3 years to regain your investment I would considering keeping but if its longer, I think having more cash on hand serves a better purpose as the economy continues to go lower. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.