Problem tenant who pays their rent

Problem tenant who pays their rent

Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes

I currently have a 1rst floor tenant who has been a reliable payer of the rent for the last 2.5 years. They pay 1050 for a 3 bedroom apartment that currently would rent for around 1450-1500 in the present market.

The location is Connecticut and there is no rent control in the town. Currently they are month to month, and I’m working on another renovation above them and have a third apartment that is vacant at another property that is slow to fill this time of year.. so I need the cashflow currently until feb-march of 2023.

There are issues with this tenant. They are getting 100 a month off to do landscaping and snow removal that they do not do (they do the paths but not the driveway.. they fill the garden beds with knick knacks but don't remove the leaves... theres always an excuse, and they’ve claimed they can’t afford to pay the extra hundred). They are 60+ years old and waiting on a major leg surgery and have various health problems. They also smoke in the apartment, have trouble remembering to fill the oil for the furnace, and have friends drop by unexpectedly during the day who park in ways that block the driveway who they smoke with while I’m upstairs working on the renovation.  They're using storage on the property thats not theirs to use as well.

Until march 2022 the eviction moratorium in Connecticut made this person impossible to evict or end the lease.. and I had 3 apartments to renovate and re-rent this year that have basically stopped me from doing anything with them (still getting the rent every month and vacancy is more of a problem to me than a paying problem tenant).

My question is this: am I better off just doing an end of lease with this person with a 30-60 day move out time (I’m waiting until around march to do anything.. too many ways in the winter that this person could try to sue me for a convenient slip and fall or do massive damage to my property by “forgetting” to fill the furnace). Or am I better laying down the law sooner or later with a cure or quit with a rent increase to see if they shape up and fly right?  I am pessimistic about their ability to pay more rent or to adhere to the lease... I’m trying to get them out the easiest way. Is it easier // cleaner to remove a tenant with an end of lease than any other option? Do I need to give any explanation to them if this is the case or can I just say “I know its hard but this is a business and the investors want to end your lease” and leave it at that? I’m sure I am going to get peppered with ‘why!’s and ‘how dare you!’s and rationalizations if I try to explain why they aren’t the greatest tenant in the world and it seems like an end of lease with a timeframe they have to be out by is the easiest way to do it. Any advice would be appreciated. I already realize I’ve set a bad precedent with this tenant and am enabling their behavior.. again in some ways I had little choice during the eviction moratorium and managed to have tenants above them that didn’t mind their smoking… and I am currently dependent on the cashflow they are providing for the next couple of months.  I'm grateful to have survived the eviction moratorium without losing everything and they were a reliable tenant during that difficult time.  

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

Full disclosure: I didn't even read your entire post because it's completely unnecessary.

You have a crappy tenant that is paying at least $400 a month below market. You are also paying her $100 for work she doesn't perform. 

$500 a month x 12 = $6,000

You are supplementing her rent to the tune of $6,000 a year.

Two months of vacancy would cost you $2,000. Once you rent at market rate, you will earn back that $2,000 within four months.

I would give her a 30-day notice of termination and get her out by end of January. 

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    hindsight is great, but you shouldn't have given them $100 off for the yardwork. you can pay them when they do it, but not a discount on the rent.  Tell them they need to do it or get someone to do it...or pay the $100 in rent.

    Take charge.  Tell them no more storing of items in space that isn't theirs and that as they aren't doing the yardwork, they need to pay the rent in full. Sorry, but 60 isn't that old health problems aside.  They should want the walkway and driveway clear if one has a problem with their leg.  Some people always have excuses, that is their problem, don't make it yours.  Giving them notice is probably the easiest.  They can then find a place that works better for them.

  • Investor · North Stonington, CT · Member since 2014 · 393 posts · 228 votes
    3y

    @Nathan B.

    If I were in your situation, I would get the other units ready as quickly as possible. I wouldn't ask them to leave until I had one of the units rented, probably the one in the other building since this tenant might give you trouble leaving. 

    Once I can sustain the loss, I would give a 30 days notice for the troubled tenant to move out. I would plan for that unit to be empty 6 months or more. I would write a letter to the tenant stating that you are ending the month to month lease and they need to be moved out before whatever date. I would state that if the tenant is not moved out, then a notice of quit will be served and an eviction for lapse of time will be started. 

    Make the letter very simple, state all the dates and the actions. You do not need to provide any reasons for why you are ending the lease. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    The smoking in the unit is the big deal breaker for me. They are disrespecting you and your property. This is on top of all the other stuff.

    I would want them out if you can't control them.

    I would lock the storage area and let them get stuff out but not put anything in.

    Send them the lease termination. When they complain tell them they have to pay market rent and stop breaking the rules including smoking. Put up more smoke detectors and tell them tampering with one will fast track them to the curb within the law.

    If they can't be the model renter, get them out, get the place painted and fixed up enough to get a renter in their place right away.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Never discount the rent...the rent is the rent.  Any services a tenant provides should be paid separately by you because if they don't do the work or do it well, you simply don't pay them.  I recommend that you advise the troubled tenants that:

    1.  Effective (Give 30 days notice since this actually is a rent increase situation), the rent will revert to the full amount and any services they provide will be paid separately when performed satisfactorily and according to schedule.  Done.  No debate, no discussion - Done. Make sure you have written proof of this as well (email or letter with proof of delivery).

    And, have them email you a photo of the work they perform before you pay them.  As far as your concern that they can't afford the rent increase, do you know how much cigarettes cost?!!!  Where else can they move for this rent?  Who else will allow them to control the property in violation of the lease terms?  You're operating out of fear rather than as a business owner.  Take back control of your property and expect them to comply in order to remain.  

    2. Advise that storage was never a part of the lease and how they are using the property for such is a lease violation. Ask that the remove the items immediately or you will have to issue a Notice To Quit that will make this more complicated.  And, while you're at it:

    3.  Let them know that smoking is not allowed in the unit and this is also a lease violation and that either stops today or you'll be force to issue a Notice To Quit for that. Let them know that blocking of the driveway is not permissable either.  

    It doesn't need to be harsh - it's simply factual.  What is in place now isn't working and is in violation of the lease terms.  You're risking the other tenants by allowing these folks to take over.  

    Best...

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Every post here is spot on.  I don't know about Conn laws, but if this drags on you could easily be in the summer before your sheriff toss's them out. Don't sign a lease with them. Lay down the law in writing. Then give them official notice when they fail.

    "As far as your concern that they can't afford the rent increase, do you know how much cigarettes cost?!!! "  My thoughts exactly!

  • William CollinsPro Member
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    3y

    @Nathan B.

    In the state of Connecticut, it is by and far easier to evict for nonpayment of rent. any other provision that you are trying to evict for such as end of lease is harder to evict for. The tenant will not change their ways. They currently are training you to accept what they are providing. This dynamic needs to change.

    Stop trying to contract with your tenants to provide services. Hire someone so that the job is done and done right.

    You have two choices to proceed. One, serve the notice to quit immediately through a lawyer. In the state of Connecticut, it is required that all houses held in LLCS have evictions prosecuted through a lawyer. Realize that you will not be receiving rent the whole time and you will incur a lawyer's bill which will be approximately $1100 to $1500 depending on the lawyer.

    Or two, if you are dependent on their cash flow but the cash flow is unsteady can you really rely on it? if they are having a problem making the rent currently raising the rent will make it so that their ability to pay is less and likelihood to pay is less. it sounds like you need to increase your reserves to complete this in the future and raise your rents to market rent. This choice has you tried to collect the rent at the current level for the months you need to eke by. Do not raise the rent just collect the rent if you need it to make ends meet. If you choose to have that proceed with the rent raise do it in March to make it easier to lease up if they leave. But I would expect to have to leave them based on what you said.

    One thing to note: though not all towns are rent controlled in the state of Connecticut there are appeals processes which they can file for regardless of town. The jump in rent that is unreasonable could be pursued as an adverse action and be subject to mediation.

    All this advice I am giving to you as someone who has wrestled with the same type of decision in the state of Connecticut. I have fifteen properties and fifty-two rental units.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

    Full disclosure: I didn't even read your entire post because it's completely unnecessary.

    You have a crappy tenant that is paying at least $400 a month below market. You are also paying her $100 for work she doesn't perform. 

    $500 a month x 12 = $6,000

    You are supplementing her rent to the tune of $6,000 a year.

    Two months of vacancy would cost you $2,000. Once you rent at market rate, you will earn back that $2,000 within four months.

    I would give her a 30-day notice of termination and get her out by end of January. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mat O'Grady:

    @Nathan B.

    If I were in your situation, I would get the other units ready as quickly as possible. I wouldn't ask them to leave until I had one of the units rented, probably the one in the other building since this tenant might give you trouble leaving. 

    Once I can sustain the loss, I would give a 30 days notice for the troubled tenant to move out. I would plan for that unit to be empty 6 months or more. I would write a letter to the tenant stating that you are ending the month to month lease and they need to be moved out before whatever date. I would state that if the tenant is not moved out, then a notice of quit will be served and an eviction for lapse of time will be started. 

    Make the letter very simple, state all the dates and the actions. You do not need to provide any reasons for why you are ending the lease. 


    Thanks for the advice.  Can you give the specific reasons you're saying the unit would remain empty for 6 months?

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @William Collins:

    @Nathan B.

    In the state of Connecticut, it is by and far easier to evict for nonpayment of rent. any other provision that you are trying to evict for such as end of lease is harder to evict for. The tenant will not change their ways. They currently are training you to accept what they are providing. This dynamic needs to change.

    Stop trying to contract with your tenants to provide services. Hire someone so that the job is done and done right.

    You have two choices to proceed. One, serve the notice to quit immediately through a lawyer. In the state of Connecticut, it is required that all houses held in LLCS have evictions prosecuted through a lawyer. Realize that you will not be receiving rent the whole time and you will incur a lawyer's bill which will be approximately $1100 to $1500 depending on the lawyer.

    Or two, if you are dependent on their cash flow but the cash flow is unsteady can you really rely on it? if they are having a problem making the rent currently raising the rent will make it so that their ability to pay is less and likelihood to pay is less. it sounds like you need to increase your reserves to complete this in the future and raise your rents to market rent. This choice has you tried to collect the rent at the current level for the months you need to eke by. Do not raise the rent just collect the rent if you need it to make ends meet. If you choose to have that proceed with the rent raise do it in March to make it easier to lease up if they leave. But I would expect to have to leave them based on what you said.

    One thing to note: though not all towns are rent controlled in the state of Connecticut there are appeals processes which they can file for regardless of town. The jump in rent that is unreasonable could be pursued as an adverse action and be subject to mediation.

    All this advice I am giving to you as someone who has wrestled with the same type of decision in the state of Connecticut. I have fifteen properties and fifty-two rental units.


    Thanks very much for the advice. The property is owned in my name, not under an LLC.. so there is some flexibility in that regard. They have been reliably paying the rent for 2.5 years. My current plan is to say the property is under new management where I'm still the person they're dealing with... and to start reigning in the storage space and snow removal, following by a new lease in march that increases rent and makes explicit the parking, storage, smoking policy on the property (I already had this language but will make sure its iron clad). I was also going to have the new lease be a month to month with the condition that if 3 months can go by without any issues they can sign for a new yearly lease. What do you think?

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry T.:
    Every post here is spot on.  I don't know about Conn laws, but if this drags on you could easily be in the summer before your sheriff toss's them out. Don't sign a lease with them. Lay down the law in writing. Then give them official notice when they fail.

    "As far as your concern that they can't afford the rent increase, do you know how much cigarettes cost?!!! "  My thoughts exactly!


     I appreciate that.. when it comes to smoking do I need to offer proof beyond the obvious smell it creates?  I don't know if it came to a court case how I would proof to a judge they're smoking inside the apartment.  I

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

    Never discount the rent...the rent is the rent.  Any services a tenant provides should be paid separately by you because if they don't do the work or do it well, you simply don't pay them.  I recommend that you advise the troubled tenants that:

    1.  Effective (Give 30 days notice since this actually is a rent increase situation), the rent will revert to the full amount and any services they provide will be paid separately when performed satisfactorily and according to schedule.  Done.  No debate, no discussion - Done. Make sure you have written proof of this as well (email or letter with proof of delivery).

    And, have them email you a photo of the work they perform before you pay them.  As far as your concern that they can't afford the rent increase, do you know how much cigarettes cost?!!!  Where else can they move for this rent?  Who else will allow them to control the property in violation of the lease terms?  You're operating out of fear rather than as a business owner.  Take back control of your property and expect them to comply in order to remain.  

    2. Advise that storage was never a part of the lease and how they are using the property for such is a lease violation. Ask that the remove the items immediately or you will have to issue a Notice To Quit that will make this more complicated.  And, while you're at it:

    3.  Let them know that smoking is not allowed in the unit and this is also a lease violation and that either stops today or you'll be force to issue a Notice To Quit for that. Let them know that blocking of the driveway is not permissable either.  

    It doesn't need to be harsh - it's simply factual.  What is in place now isn't working and is in violation of the lease terms.  You're risking the other tenants by allowing these folks to take over.  

    Best...


     Thanks for the advice!  When it comes to a notice to quite for smoking, how would I prove that this is happening?  When they light up the smell is obvious in the apartment above but I don't know if I have any other evidence that could be photographed to prove they're smoking inside the apartment.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    In the Notice To Quit for Reason(s) Other Than Non

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Nathan B.

    Oops...sorry for the incomplete posting/reply above. Just having one of those days - but in the Notice that Smoking is prohibited in/on the property and, as such, requires that they quit/cease any/all smoking in/on the property.  You don't have to actually catch them doing it but you do have to have reasonable evidence that they are - and smelling cigarette smoke is definitive enough.  I generally find that they consider themselves "busted" when it comes to smoking and won't want to address it with you. Some have blamed it on a guest or he might state that he was too injured to leave the unit - there are no mitigants to violating the lease term.  Just state it definitively in a single sentence and that will do it.  Hope this helps.

  • Investor · North Stonington, CT · Member since 2014 · 393 posts · 228 votes
    3y

    @Nathan B.

    Hopefully it won't be vacant, but in this situation, it sounds like you are going to need to evict. In this climate in CT, I plan for an eviction to take at least six months. So, if you give the notice of termination of lease and they don't move out and then you need to evict, it will take awhile to get them out. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan B.:

    They have been reliably paying the rent for 2.5 years. 

    I was also going to have the new lease be a month to month with the condition that if 3 months can go by without any issues they can sign for a new yearly lease.  What do you think?

    1) Of course they've been paying the rent. As @Nathan Gesner pointed out, you're gifting them $6000 a year....

    2) I think you're your own worst enemy. NO, do not give them another chance, you will be right back here next year asking us what to do now....

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Nathan B.:

    They have been reliably paying the rent for 2.5 years. 

    I was also going to have the new lease be a month to month with the condition that if 3 months can go by without any issues they can sign for a new yearly lease.  What do you think?

    1) Of course they've been paying the rent. As @Nathan Gesner pointed out, you're gifting them $6000 a year....

    2) I think you're your own worst enemy. NO, do not give them another chance, you will be right back here next year asking us what to do now....

    The prices on apartments really only went up this year.. and I've been working on 3 other renovations the last 9 months to maximize rent.  They've paid through the eviction moratorium without missing a beat.  I have noticed them smoking but no other tenants living with them have complained, so I haven't done anything.  Other tenants have helped with the driveway and not minded.. keeping the cash coming with as few problems as possible is my goal.  I'm not happy with certain things they're doing on the property and want to increase the rent on the unit which is why I'm asking questions on strategy here.  If I can avoid a drawn out eviction and have a chance at keeping cashflow and increasing it that is a better solution in my book.  I can always bring the hammer down if they don't listen.  I'm not going to wait a year.. I'd give them a month or two to get acquainted with new rules and higher rent and see if they comply.  What do I lose by doing that other than your respect?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan B.:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Nathan B.:

    They have been reliably paying the rent for 2.5 years. 

    I was also going to have the new lease be a month to month with the condition that if 3 months can go by without any issues they can sign for a new yearly lease.  What do you think?

    1) Of course they've been paying the rent. As @Nathan Gesner pointed out, you're gifting them $6000 a year....

    2) I think you're your own worst enemy. NO, do not give them another chance, you will be right back here next year asking us what to do now....

    The prices on apartments really only went up this year.. and I've been working on 3 other renovations the last 9 months to maximize rent.  They've paid through the eviction moratorium without missing a beat.  I have noticed them smoking but no other tenants living with them have complained, so I haven't done anything.  Other tenants have helped with the driveway and not minded.. keeping the cash coming with as few problems as possible is my goal.  I'm not happy with certain things they're doing on the property and want to increase the rent on the unit which is why I'm asking questions on strategy here.  If I can avoid a drawn out eviction and have a chance at keeping cashflow and increasing it that is a better solution in my book.  I can always bring the hammer down if they don't listen.  I'm not going to wait a year.. I'd give them a month or two to get acquainted with new rules and higher rent and see if they comply.  What do I lose by doing that other than your respect?

    You're not losing my respect, we've all been where you are. I would just be tougher. If and when you can ... we're all on your side!
  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I think @Bruce Woodruff's "tough love" is with good intentions.

    I think his concern (and mine as well) is your management style sounds like you are slowly transferring control to your tenant under the guise of "don't make waves."  

    This may work out well for you in the short term, but this may be your "death by a thousand cuts", as you are tacitly endorsing these lease violations by not addressing them.  Once you let out those reigns, the tenants will interpret that as weakness and you'll never be able to pull back on them when you decide to do so.  You are also reinforcing the stereotype that some tenants have of landlords, which is "as long as I pay rent, they will not bother me, because all that they want is the money."

    You are allowing them to smoke because "no one else has complained."  Many tenants do not want to make waves or be a "snitch", so they will not approach you.  However, they'll absolutely resent YOU for not doing your job and enforcing the terms of the lease, and if it bothers them enough, they'll just give notice to vacate and move.  Bad tenants running amok will drive away good tenants, many times without giving you a chance to mitigate.

    I would never endorse or encourage tenants to do their own maintenance on the property (e.g. driveway).  That's a liability risk that I personally would not be willing to take.  YMMV.

    It's easy for us to tell you how to manage from the forums here, and you'll have to make those decisions yourself, but you asked for the feedback and folks are just pointing out some possible pain points.  Most of us have made the mistakes you are making and are trying to point them out.  You need to be decisive and consistent in your enforcement of the lease.  If you are not going to enforce certain things, take those provisions out.  This is your business.  Do not let the inmates run the asylum.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    @Nathan B. you are under the impression you can give her a few rules and she'll change her ways. She's not obeying the current lease. She's not maintaining the landscaping that you pay her for. She doesn't respect your rental even though she's renting it for 40% below market. Do you really think she will change her bad behaviors and pay $500 more a month just because you roll out some new rules and lay the hammer down? I think you're just throwing more money away and creating more stress for yourself.

    I hope you'll come back and update us in 6-12 months.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Nathan B. if you renew this tenant keep it month to month.  Your plan that if they are good for 3 months they can have a 1 year lease will backfire.   

  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 699 posts · 500 votes
    3y

    @Nathan B. - lay down the law.  As a CT based property manager, many tenants get into a power struggle with owners.  They know that they provide something that owners want; the rent and think they can do whatever they want.  You unfortunately have let them get away with it for too long.  I like the expression; "It is better to never give something to someone, then to give it to them and have to take it away."  In this case, I don't think you are coming back from this.  

    Dm me if you are interested in talking further about this.  We manage over 300 units in central CT, so we have a lot of experience.

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Wesley W.:

    I think @Bruce Woodruff's "tough love" is with good intentions.

    I think his concern (and mine as well) is your management style sounds like you are slowly transferring control to your tenant under the guise of "don't make waves."  

    This may work out well for you in the short term, but this may be your "death by a thousand cuts", as you are tacitly endorsing these lease violations by not addressing them.  Once you let out those reigns, the tenants will interpret that as weakness and you'll never be able to pull back on them when you decide to do so.  You are also reinforcing the stereotype that some tenants have of landlords, which is "as long as I pay rent, they will not bother me, because all that they want is the money."

    You are allowing them to smoke because "no one else has complained."  Many tenants do not want to make waves or be a "snitch", so they will not approach you.  However, they'll absolutely resent YOU for not doing your job and enforcing the terms of the lease, and if it bothers them enough, they'll just give notice to vacate and move.  Bad tenants running amok will drive away good tenants, many times without giving you a chance to mitigate.

    I would never endorse or encourage tenants to do their own maintenance on the property (e.g. driveway).  That's a liability risk that I personally would not be willing to take.  YMMV.

    It's easy for us to tell you how to manage from the forums here, and you'll have to make those decisions yourself, but you asked for the feedback and folks are just pointing out some possible pain points.  Most of us have made the mistakes you are making and are trying to point them out.  You need to be decisive and consistent in your enforcement of the lease.  If you are not going to enforce certain things, take those provisions out.  This is your business.  Do not let the inmates run the asylum.  


     Yeah, it was the one and only time I had tried an agreement to do maintenance to reduce rent.  I haven't done it since.  As far as reinforcing negative stereotypes of landlords and not being approachable by tenants and the smoking driving people away.. its a similar 'tough love' to the previous comment in that additional detail may be relevant to other landlords out there.. so I'll keep adding detail for anyone else reading.  I have 8 apartments and started about 4 years ago.  Covid eviction moratorium was hell.. there were lease violations that could not be dealt with beyond a 'don't do that'.  People were lying constantly, Since in febuary-may and again starting in september lawyers were buried to the point that I couldn't get anyone to take an eviction case if I begged.  A few months back when I was looking to evict I contacted 7 law firms in the area and they all said 'we're completely swamped, try again in a few months'.  I was able to talk through the situation with the tenant.  The problems stopped, and due to other circumstances in their family they're voluntarily leaving at the end of december.  

        Tenants who smoke and lie about it are about half the population of people I've dealt with.  Younger professionals and older folks down on their luck make the other split.  I know I need to reign in and regain control and I have been working on it.  I've had 4 apartments turnover the last 9 months and 3 did significant renovations to maximize rent.  This isn't my only work or stress and I'm doing everything I can as fast as I can.   I also know that peak rent here may be a temporary thing with a several year recession around the corner.  Currently apartments are sitting vacant in the area.. spring will really show what the market will bare.  It looks good for rents to remain high with high interest rates on mortgages but people here are freaking out financially and rents may crash, or become rent controlled in Connecticut, or both. 


      I will likely end this tenants lease in the spring.  I will give cure or quit notices through a state marshal and have pictures of the lack of maintenance to show a paper trail of issues in case I need to defend myself in court.  They're currently the only people living on the property while I've renovating the apartment above.. and frankly evicting them right this moment is not an option. 

        The reality is I could end up with another smoker who lies in this apartment, and the one above it.  Its just a fact that people lie about smoking around here to get in.  

             I probably am going to end up needing to get rid of this tenant.  I agree that their behavior is not likely to change... but a cure or quit notice would get their attention.  They do pay reliably in cash, they are older with bad legs, and I am trying to avoid costly litigation on the back end of getting them out due to tight cashflow at the moment while I'm renovation another apartment and getting a vacancy filled.  I do appreciate the strategies to deal with this that everyone is offering here.  I'm open to any advice people have to give.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Wesley W. said it best. You have kinda screwed up, and we are just telling you the truth....

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    @Wesley W. said it best. You have kinda screwed up, and we are just telling you the truth....


     I hear you.  I'm trying to focus more on the particulars of the problems I'm having and the solutions step by step in these specific circumstances.  Your advice that I'm my own worst enemy, that I'll be back here in a year complaining about the same issues, and that I've screwed up have been heard loud and clear.  

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Nathan B. if you renew this tenant keep it month to month.  Your plan that if they are good for 3 months they can have a 1 year lease will backfire.   


     I appreciate that; sounds like good advice.   Is the concern that the tenant would revert back to their default behaviors?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.