Remind tenants to notify about water intrusion for winter?

Remind tenants to notify about water intrusion for winter?

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

One of my tenants recently told me that a dark spot appeared to be growing each day during the rain, until they woke up with water leaking onto their bed..

As I was contemplating how many days it had been getting wet, I thought I would call/text the rest of my tenants and remind them to notify me immediately if they see any dark spots on the ceiling or water around the windowsills, to avoid having anything leak that could ruin their stuff or bother them with additional work if it gets worse. I think I'm going to do it today..

Do any other landlords/investors out there remind their tenants at the beginning of winter, or periodically, about calling if there are any leaks? I figure telling them why it makes it easier for them (less potential work to do, avoid getting their stuff wet) would help motivate them to actually do it.

Anyone else do this? Thoughts? Any other pro-active tips for tenants/maintenance? (Besides inspecting the exterior/rooof, etc periodically. I'm more thinking about the inside). Does anyone do walk-throughs of the apartment every 6 months or something? I did it last time I renewed leases, but haven't necessarily established a set schedule..

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Norwood, NJ · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 5 votes
12y

Remembering that one said that he would collect check or cash in person, and even though the tenant wire/ACH rents, he would still handle over the receipts to them, just to walk thru his properties periodically, not only inspect the properties but also get information about his tenants. I don't know if you could ask property management do that.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Norwood, NJ · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Remembering that one said that he would collect check or cash in person, and even though the tenant wire/ACH rents, he would still handle over the receipts to them, just to walk thru his properties periodically, not only inspect the properties but also get information about his tenants. I don't know if you could ask property management do that.

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2013 · 330 posts · 62 votes
    12y

    Personally I believe that you should change furnace filters every 3 months. While there you can visually check to see if there are any blatant problems. In addition, you can ask the tenants if there are any problems. A slow drip from a faucet or an occasional sticking toilet float may not warrant a call to a landlord for repairs, but they might mention the problem in person. These are usually easily fixed, but they do cost money if not addressed. Plus it shows your tenants you care.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Daren Wang , I live here at the property now. So I do collect rent. But they usually come to my unit. I know as a prior renter, I wouldn't want my landlord coming into my apt every month, even if there's nothing wrong.. So I try to find some balance without bothering them too much. Good rents. Easy enough. I have my trusted handyman look around whenever he goes in to fix anything and report back. Did walkthrough before renewing leases a few months back. Between that, and looking during occasional fixing, if that might be enough..

    @Edward Burns , there is no furnace or HVAC. In-ceiling electric heat, but not needed often around here. A/C is not typical either, because it doesn't get all that hot, and good insulation in the building. I usually ask them when they pay rent if there's anything they need fixed. Most of the time, they don't, so it's nice to get the goodwill of showing you care, without having to do fixes all that often.. I really do try to fix everything immediately, keep a nice clean yard and beautiful garden. Motion sensor and other lights, all working. Paint good condition. I really believe in "pride of ownership" and its impact on vacancy/rents and resale value (both having a well-maintained building with a low Section 1 termite report and pleasant, long-term tenants paying healthy market rents - they come with the building).

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @J. Martin

    Honestly I expect my tenants to be responsible enough to let me know these things. My tenants are professionals who want a personal property where the landlord responds quickly to issues but otherwise leave them alone.

  • Investor · Delaware, OH · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Our leases have a clause (that we've actually never used) that we will come by monthly to inspect smoke detectors. With notice, of course. This way if we felt that we need to check out our property, we can. Our tenants thus far have always been prompt in notifying us of issues, and we've had good tenants, so we've never used that clause. I like to leave my tenants in peace too.

    Some people use the furnace filter clause - that they'll come by and change furnace filters regularly - the thing I like about the smoke detector clause is it allows us to go upstairs into the bedrooms if we need to.

    If they are dropping off their rent to you, I would ask if they have any problems. We see our tenants during the summer when we mow grass and such, and we always ask pointed questions: Any dripping faucets? Leaks? Holes in the screens? Need any furnace filters? If we don't see/hear from them in several months, I'll drop a quick e-mail just asking if everything is going ok.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I agree with you @Pam R. . I like to ask generally if there's anything that needs to be fixed when I collect rent monthly, then I ask specifically about any leaks every once in a while. But I don't like to intrude on the tenant's space more often than necessary, because they pay good rents and I don't think people generally like strangers coming in their home (even the landlord!)

    So it turns out, the rain stopped, but the moisture stayed. After inspecting more closely, it turns out that it wasn't leaking from the roof. It was getting so damn cold, condensation was forming to the extent that it was dripping from the ceiling. It has already mellowed out as it's not quite so freezing (crazy cold week! and unusual for here!). But I'm going to seal up any cracks/holes between the ceiling and attic, and maybe put in some air-driven fans by the attic vents...

    @Elizabeth Colegrove , I have found that some tenants, even good tenants, would either just rather not have someone bother them, not notice, or not think much of it when little things pop up - until it affects them. But maybe it's different in your area.. I was mainly trying to see if anyone takes a proactive approach to interior maintenance/repairs by communicating with the tenants, but it sounds like that's not the case for your situation..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.