I have been self-managing a few rental townhouses for about 2 years. I'd say on average, I get called every 2 weeks about repair issues. I have received all kinds of repair requests, e.g. clogged dishwashers, leaks, shattered oven glass, etc. etc. It's hard to say if some incidents are wear-and-tear or damage. Others are clearly damages, but I tend to not charge tenants to maintain good will.
I do not know how to repair everything. I have a full-time job and try to have a life. Sending contractors each time is costly. Paying property management companies ~10% of the rent, not including repair costs, is also costly.
How do fellow landlords deal with the plethora of repair requests? Do you keep a handyman on speed dial, and get a preferred rate each time? Get the tenants to fix small issues themselves? Any other ideas?
I'm managing 400 rentals and have only seen glass break on the oven door 3-4 times. Dishwashers get clogged because people aren't scraping/rinsing dishes and the food builds up in the filter.
Your Property Manager and the contractors should be able to tell if this is abuse or just coincidence. Has the PM inspected the property? Is the PM asking contractors to look for signs of abuse/neglect?
Someone needs to put eyes on the property and have a chat with the Tenants. Then the PM needs to watch their maintenance requests closely to look for signs of abuse or neglect and hold them accountable.
There's no point to having a property manager if all they do is collect rent and call contractors.
Goodwill went out the door when they shattered the oven glass. Make them pay for it. Was the dishwasher clogged when they moved in? No. They need to call a repairman and pay the bill. Start with a good rent increase to cover your expenses. If damages keep coming, raise again. I always take them to the garage door opener and show them, the last tenant left this, I don't usually supply one, if it blows you're on your own. It's nice how there's NEVER a problem with the garage door opener.
I'm managing 400 rentals and have only seen glass break on the oven door 3-4 times. Dishwashers get clogged because people aren't scraping/rinsing dishes and the food builds up in the filter.
Your Property Manager and the contractors should be able to tell if this is abuse or just coincidence. Has the PM inspected the property? Is the PM asking contractors to look for signs of abuse/neglect?
Someone needs to put eyes on the property and have a chat with the Tenants. Then the PM needs to watch their maintenance requests closely to look for signs of abuse or neglect and hold them accountable.
There's no point to having a property manager if all they do is collect rent and call contractors.
Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2023 · 236 posts · 204 votes
3y
If you're using a Property Manager, @Nathan Gesner hit the nail on the head. I would adopt the same strategy.
If you're self-managing, you need to set CLEAR expectations at the time of move-in. A good practice is to make sure your lease states explicitly how maintenance requests will be handled then follow that up with some kind of "move-in packet" reinforcing what's outlined in the lease (tenants may or may not read their lease). Review the move-in packet with the tenant on the day of move-in so you set CLEAR expectations.
Tenants need to know what is their responsibility and what responsibility falls on the landlord. If these expectations are not clear up front, it will result in a multitude of calls and requests.
With that said, you don't want to 'scare' them into not reporting actual maintenance issues out of fear they'll be charged. So, make sure your lease has a provision outlining the repercussions of not reporting maintenance issues. Then, reiterate that provision in the 'move-in packet' as well.
And yes, find a general handyman you trust and have that person on speed dial. Ask people in your network or folks in your neighborhood for referrals.
One last thing, ALWAYS charge the tenant if you can prove the issue was caused by the tenant. This should be outlined in your lease as well as your move-in packet so there's no surprise when you send them a bill. Choosing not to charge them because you want to "maintain good will" is only going to compound the issue you're trying to solve.
I agree with Henry-a shattered oven door is not normal wear and tear and you should not be there every 2 weeks making repairs. With a new tenant, there might be a few things that got overlooked during turnover; but after that if the house is in good condition, you shouldn't have many repair requests. Start raising the rents. You are running a business, not their friend. There are many good people out there, but many who will take advantage of you any chance they have.
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
If you are there every two weeks (and based on how you stated you want to have a life), you likely thought these investments would just work as-is, but they probably are not being maintained as well as they could. It's more likely you are making spot repairs on things instead of replacing them and delaying response at times because it's just you. I agree with everyone that you should have a deductible clause for fixes under $100 or something like that. But reading in between the lines, landlording is not your bag so you will need property management, but I think they larger issues are that there is residual maintenance that you need to do on the units and that is what will keep some of the calls away.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
@Paul S. You are being way too nice. This is not how you run a business....
Like Philip, Henry, Nathan said, make it harder for them to reach you so they only deal with serious issues. And definitely let them know that they will be responsible for any repairs that you deem as damage....
@Paul S. Home warranty.. Also learn how to fix things yourself and evict one tenant at a time. Go into one unit fix everything and go above and beyond.. Rent it back out and repeat..
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
@Paul S.
Let me just comment on the repair portion. When I buy a property I go over the condition of the unit/house very thoroughly anything that looks worn out or is at its end of life expectancy I replace. I have found this greatly reduces the calls I get. In fact, I rarely get maintenance calls. Some tenants are heavy on maintenance. I let them know I will fix something like a clogged drain once after that they are responsible. It is a fine line about whether things will require maintenance or they will just stop calling. In this case, a quarterly inspection at least of the unit is probably necessary to make sure things are being maintained.
Handyman · MN · Member since 2022 · 23 posts · 6 votes
3y
Going forward, clearly define what is wear and tear and what is abuse. From the multihousing side - everyone gets one every few months, depending on the item. Clogged dishwashers happen and are relatively easy to fix, educate once or twice. Slow your response time way down after that.
10% of your residents use 90% of your resources. You can stay reasonable and professional, but if you feel the requests are excessive - slow your response time. Be nice but don't make converstion, show up at inconvienent times. Order parts and claim super long lead times due to covid or supply shortages. Offer to split the plumbing bill if you show up for a clogged toilet and the plunger is dry (or they don't have one at all)
Consider how often you have to maintain these items in your own home. Double that duration for a renter, anything above that is excessive.