Business vs People dilemma - what would you do?

Business vs People dilemma - what would you do?

Member since 2023 · 59 posts · 34 votes

Would you guys agree to extend tenants' lease by six weeks (until early July), knowing this makes you miss the peak rental season in this specific area? And knowing that in this case you'd be marketing your property at the same time as your next-door rental, thus having two properties  competing for the same high-caliber tenant pool?  And knowing that you'd have to wait with the showings until the tenants move out and the place is cleaned up, because otherwise it is not presentable? 

And if you don't agree to extend, you'd be subjecting a family to a significant logistical nightmare. They would be moving to another state in July, but can't leave earlier since the husband has to finish his medical residency first. If I don't agree to extend, they'll have to put their belongings in storage, find and move into a short term rental for the remaining medical residency term, while also shopping for a place to rent in another state. This is difficult. 

We had these tenants for three years. They pay on time and generally were good, but they did start a bit of a drama last month that required us to consult with an attorney. All good now, although the aftertaste remains. 

We explained to them that lease extension this time of the year would hurt us. In response, they offered to pay double rent for June. I'm scratching my head. The extra month of rent would definitely help, but missing out on the main tenant demographic for this area (families with school-age kids) is still worrisome. My husband is absolutely against extending and insists we should think about ourselves first. 

What would you do if you were in our shoes?

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Josh YoungPro Member
Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 385 posts · 421 votes
3y

@Mila F.

I would just charge them more than it’s going to cost you for the extra time. If it’s going to take you an extra month to get it rented because you miss the busy season then just charge them 2 extra months, that way you hope they stay so you will be making more rather than stressing that they are going to cost you money by staying. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh YoungPro Member
    Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 385 posts · 421 votes
    3y

    @Mila F.

    I would just charge them more than it’s going to cost you for the extra time. If it’s going to take you an extra month to get it rented because you miss the busy season then just charge them 2 extra months, that way you hope they stay so you will be making more rather than stressing that they are going to cost you money by staying. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I'm not sure renting it out a month and half later really would affect the tenant pool that much in the summer.

    Charge them a higher rent for the extension, tell them that you will schedule showings in the last month to get it rented and they need to have the place in showroom condition and make it available for showings (with 24 hours' notice and stacking showings as much as possible).  If they only want to extend it for 6 weeks, make sure that the total rent for that time exceeds the normal 2 month rent.  Having 2 weeks for turnover is not a bad thing when the tenant has paid for the rent.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mila F.:

    I find it hard to believe your peak season only lasts for those specific four weeks. Take his deal for the extra rent. He moves out early July but you'll still have money to cover all the way through July while you look for a renter. You shouldn't have any problem finding two renters in July.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 59 posts · 34 votes
    3y

    @Josh Young, @Theresa Harris, @Nathan Gesner - Thanks for the advice, this is helpful.  I'm leaning now towards accepting their double rent offer, and just conditioning the extension on them allowing us to do some repairs while they are still occupying the property. This way we can cut the time needed to get the place rent-ready.  

    In terms of the peak season being questioned here - this neighborhood is zoned to top-notch schools and is highly desirable among families with school-age kids. However, schools start here early - on August 1, and most rental traffic takes place here during late spring-early summer. Families who are responsible and plan their moves  ahead of time (basically the type of tenants I want) tend to have a new place locked in by July.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mila F.:

    That makes sense. You can offset this a little by showing the home while it is still occupied by the current renter. Tell your Tenants they can extend with the additonal month of rent and an agreement to allow showings with 24 hours notice. I'm pretty sure you'll have a new tenant lined up before the current one vacates.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 59 posts · 34 votes
    3y
    I wish I could show the place while still occupied. Not this time. During the three years living here, these guys never made an effort to decorate or furnish the place to make it look like home. It's just unattractive and would likely discourage the quality of tenants I'm targeting. I'll have to wait until they move out.
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mila F.:
    I wish I could show the place while still occupied. Not this time. During the three years living here, these guys never made an effort to decorate or furnish the place to make it look like home. It's just unattractive and would likely discourage the quality of tenants I'm targeting. I'll have to wait until they move out.

     Hopefully that is just with their decorations and nothing permanent.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mila F.:
    I wish I could show the place while still occupied. Not this time. During the three years living here, these guys never made an effort to decorate or furnish the place to make it look like home. It's just unattractive and would likely discourage the quality of tenants I'm targeting. I'll have to wait until they move out.

    Aloha,

    If you have "Ready to Rent" photos from prior vacancy or acquisition, you can post the bet photos with an ad to at least start getting interest. Simply explain tenant is not able to make it available for showing, and provide an estimated date you expect to be able to actually show it (I would NOT try to actually rent it until vacant, but you can generate some early interest). As soon as it is vacant, quickly clean/prep as needed to show in person. Just do NOT use outdated or cluttered pics...you want to represent it as close as possible to what you expect it to be upon vacancy. I always maintain digital files of every set I take, under a main file of the property address (for each SF property, with subfolders for each unit of a MF property), named "move out", "RTR" (after a renovation or freshening up), "plumbing leak" (to show damage and original source issue, as well as after repair) or other project files, "exterior" and, for long term renovations, periodic "status" update sets, with all filenames including the six digit date (032423) to make it easy to review at ANY point in the future (do not rely on the "file date" generated by the computer, as it will change whenever a file or folder is moved). For MF properties I will also have a file for marketing with building pics, and common areas or amenities which can be used with any individual unit ads.
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    I like the double rent thing except for one caveat: if for some reason anything goes wrong on their end, you'll likely be going through an eviction and then you will miss the peak season for sure. 

    The first question in my mind is if they're so great, why didn't they realize a year ago that their lease was going to end prematurely for their residency etc. and plan accordingly, i.e. negotiating a longer stay then instead of right now? 

    What I would do: I would make them sign another regular lease at a much higher rent rate (maybe not double) for a standard period of time - 1 year, if that's your lease term - and provide them an early termination option for $X dollars with X notice, or you can try to re-rent after they leave but they are responsible until you get it re-rented. My guess is they're probably going to balk at this, because they want you to take on all of the risk while they get all of the reward. 

    If they didn't want to sign the lease extension, I agree with your husband and would give them their walking papers. If you end up getting them gone at 10 weeks instead of 6, no one including a court is going to compensate you for having to accept lesser quality tenants. 

    PS: Almost always you should pick business over people, putting it the way you put it in your title. The tenants are not going to think, care, or provide for you in any way, shape or form after they move. You provide a place to live and that's it. I have had many, many tenants over the years, and I have liked the vast majority of them, and almost to a person have never heard from or seen them again when they moved on with their life. They don't send me Christmas cookies or volunteer to come trim the undergrowth that resulted from their short-shifting on mowing and edging. I rented them a house and they paid rent. That's the sum of it. I hate to sound heartless, but who cares if they have to move into short-term rentals while they find a permanent place? That's their problem. It's not as if the choice is between your house and the highway overpass. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    3y

    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.  Agree with others who say keep the tenant - especially at the higher rate.

  • Member since 2023 · 59 posts · 34 votes
    3y

    @JD Martin, thank you for your response, I only wish I saw it sooner. By the time I read it, I already had a lease extension signed (at double rent). I do like the idea of signing a new lease and then going through early termination when the time comes. I'll keep this in mind for future situations. 

    In general, there is a lot of wisdom in your post, particularly on landlord-tenant relationships. Thank you for this perspective, it's helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.