Current RentRedi vs TurboTenant Reviews (April 2023)

Current RentRedi vs TurboTenant Reviews (April 2023)

Investor · Westfield Center, OH · Member since 2009 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Ok, I'm considering making the switch to RentRedi or Turbo Tenant. Please give me CURRENT pros and cons. I realize both of these platforms have made many changes over the past year. If you are a current user please tell me the good and the bad for each. Thank you!! 

2Reply
216 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @John McCabe:

Ok, I'm considering making the switch to RentRedi or Turbo Tenant. Please give me CURRENT pros and cons. I realize both of these platforms have made many changes over the past year. If you are a current user please tell me the good and the bad for each. Thank you!! 

There are professional websites with detailed reviews. You can't really know how good someone's review is unless you now them personally, how many units they manage, how long they've used the software, how tech savvy they are, etc. What works well for me may not work well for you.

I recommend signing up for trial accounts on both and running then through the wringer to see if they will perform the way you want them to. Some considerations:

  1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
  2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
  3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

  • Load a property with pictures and details.
  • Market that property.
  • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
  • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
  • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
  • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
  • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
  • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
  • Sign documents electronically.
  • Run owner reports.

After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John McCabe:

    Ok, I'm considering making the switch to RentRedi or Turbo Tenant. Please give me CURRENT pros and cons. I realize both of these platforms have made many changes over the past year. If you are a current user please tell me the good and the bad for each. Thank you!! 


     I know my business partner uses Rent Redi and I have access to it to see our jointly owned properties. I know he researched it thoroughly before deciding to use it. Not sure if that is helpful or not.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John McCabe:

    Ok, I'm considering making the switch to RentRedi or Turbo Tenant. Please give me CURRENT pros and cons. I realize both of these platforms have made many changes over the past year. If you are a current user please tell me the good and the bad for each. Thank you!! 

    There are professional websites with detailed reviews. You can't really know how good someone's review is unless you now them personally, how many units they manage, how long they've used the software, how tech savvy they are, etc. What works well for me may not work well for you.

    I recommend signing up for trial accounts on both and running then through the wringer to see if they will perform the way you want them to. Some considerations:

    1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
    2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
    3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

    Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

    I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

    • Load a property with pictures and details.
    • Market that property.
    • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
    • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
    • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
    • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
    • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
    • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
    • Sign documents electronically.
    • Run owner reports.

    After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 385 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    @John McCabe I agree with what Nathan said. Each person will have their own unique experience with each of this softwares, and their challenges will be based solely on their business needs. What might be a challenge for them, might not be for you. I'm sure both of these softwares offer free trials. Test these out and see which one is a better fit for your business.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2022 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @John McCabe:

    Ok, I'm considering making the switch to RentRedi or Turbo Tenant. Please give me CURRENT pros and cons. I realize both of these platforms have made many changes over the past year. If you are a current user please tell me the good and the bad for each. Thank you!! 

    There are professional websites with detailed reviews. You can't really know how good someone's review is unless you now them personally, how many units they manage, how long they've used the software, how tech savvy they are, etc. What works well for me may not work well for you.

    I recommend signing up for trial accounts on both and running then through the wringer to see if they will perform the way you want them to. Some considerations:

    1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
    2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
    3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

    Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

    I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

    • Load a property with pictures and details.
    • Market that property.
    • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
    • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
    • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
    • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
    • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
    • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
    • Sign documents electronically.
    • Run owner reports.

    After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.

    Hey Nathan, I saw your recommendations to John and wondered if they've sorted out from best to fewer options solutions or simply random names you had in mind. Thanks.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Emil Kostov:


    Those were random names. I tested TenantCloud for a friend, but that was about 18 months ago. I looked at RentRedi because it's free from BiggerPockets, but I didn't really test it. I use professional software and have no need to research the DIY platforms.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2022 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Emil Kostov:


    Those were random names. I tested TenantCloud for a friend, but that was about 18 months ago. I looked at RentRedi because it's free from BiggerPockets, but I didn't really test it. I use professional software and have no need to research the DIY platforms.
    And what exactly would be that professional software besides the ones you recommended above?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Emil Kostov:

    I started with Buildium, but after two years I moved to Propertyware and have been with them for 11 years 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2022 · 49 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Emil Kostov:

    I started with Buildium, but after two years I moved to Propertyware and have been with them for 11 years 

    That’s what I thought about Buildium even though I’m hearing that some of their parameters aren’t as accurate as their competitors but honestly was surprised about Steve Winn’s product. Anyway. Thanks for the input.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.