How do you deal with appraisals on Section 8 properties?

How do you deal with appraisals on Section 8 properties?

Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 33 votes

If I'm looking to do a BRRR on a Section 8 property in Cleveland, how do I deal with the appraisal on these properties? The cash flow is fantastic, but I'm worried about how a bank will view the value of the fixed-up property, since they are only looking at comparables (and not cash flow).

3Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @John Anderson:

If I'm looking to do a BRRR on a Section 8 property in Cleveland, how do I deal with the appraisal on these properties? The cash flow is fantastic, but I'm worried about how a bank will view the value of the fixed-up property, since they are only looking at comparables (and not cash flow).

 The appraisal is based on comps, It is 100?% irrelevant if sec 8 or cash tenant, 

Tell me the address I will tell you what its worth ,I know every street in Cleveland, or ask your PM they should know as well 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 108 posts · 52 votes
    3y

    Have you connected with an investor friendly real estate agent in the area? They will likely have good insight into this! LMK if you need a contact.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Anderson:

    If I'm looking to do a BRRR on a Section 8 property in Cleveland, how do I deal with the appraisal on these properties? The cash flow is fantastic, but I'm worried about how a bank will view the value of the fixed-up property, since they are only looking at comparables (and not cash flow).

     The appraisal is based on comps, It is 100?% irrelevant if sec 8 or cash tenant, 

    Tell me the address I will tell you what its worth ,I know every street in Cleveland, or ask your PM they should know as well 

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with @Bob S..  Single family home valuations are not based on cashflow, and you don't want them to be.  Part of what you are investing in is the asset.  That valuation should be what you would be able to sell it for should you need to.  Sounds like you fear the valuation is going to come in low, which benefits you as a buyer. 

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @John Anderson
    The fixed-up value or the ARV - After repair value is based on comparable sales in the area. Look at the sold comps nearby that are the same bed-bath breakdown, similar finishes for what you are going for, and a comparable sq ft.

  • Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @John Anderson:

    If I'm looking to do a BRRR on a Section 8 property in Cleveland, how do I deal with the appraisal on these properties? The cash flow is fantastic, but I'm worried about how a bank will view the value of the fixed-up property, since they are only looking at comparables (and not cash flow).

     The appraisal is based on comps, It is 100?% irrelevant if sec 8 or cash tenant, 

    Tell me the address I will tell you what its worth ,I know every street in Cleveland, or ask your PM they should know as well 

    Thanks! Just sent you message.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Anderson:

    If I'm looking to do a BRRR on a Section 8 property in Cleveland, how do I deal with the appraisal on these properties? The cash flow is fantastic, but I'm worried about how a bank will view the value of the fixed-up property, since they are only looking at comparables (and not cash flow).


    It's going to appraise for what it appraises for so there isn't any reason to worry about it. Beyond doing your renovation you have zero control over the outcome of the appraisal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.