When tenant say: we are good christian folks

When tenant say: we are good christian folks

Member since 2021 · 199 posts · 42 votes

I read a post that poster mention when tenant mention following words. It’s trouble

Example

Mold

We are good christian folks

And more. Feel free to add in if you know any red flag works

However my question is : why when they mention we ate good christian folks means trouble tenant?

And funny thing is one of my worst tenant who I kicked out few year ago did mention to me in a email when I try to raise the rent to him. He say we are good Christina folks. But he was really pain as neck.

So I can’t seems to connect that dot

Can someone help me clear my confusion?

Thank you!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Tina Lee:

1. A Christian is someone that believes in Jesus Christ and attempts to follow his teachings. It doesn't mean they are successful. Christians are broken people that make mistakes or bad decisions, just like atheists, Buddhists, or Muslims. Just because someone is Christian doesn't mean their behavior is Christ-like.

2. People throw out statements like this to distract or disarm you. Ignore them and focus on the facts.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    "Good Christian folks" is a term that means very different things to very different people in America.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

     Well if they are eating people, regardless of who they are, probably not a good sign :)

    I find in general when people go on about how good they are, they are often the opposite and trying to sell you a story.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tina Lee:

    1. A Christian is someone that believes in Jesus Christ and attempts to follow his teachings. It doesn't mean they are successful. Christians are broken people that make mistakes or bad decisions, just like atheists, Buddhists, or Muslims. Just because someone is Christian doesn't mean their behavior is Christ-like.

    2. People throw out statements like this to distract or disarm you. Ignore them and focus on the facts.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    It is not something I would put any thought or consideration in to. I don't care if the tenants are descendants of mother Teresa. They have to qualify on paper. 

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    I would focus more on their rental history, call previous landlords to try to get more info on how they were as tenants/did they make rental payments on time/would they rent to them again. You can also go through rental history and see how often they moved/ask for the reason if they moved frequently. Hard to go by red flag words since they vary case by case, but I agree w/some of the previous comments saying when people say how good they are there’s something more to it.  

    However, in my experience, some “green flag” words/phrases have been:

    Always pay rent on time or early

    Take care of the property 

    Handy around the house

    Love this neighborhood 

    Don’t like to move around a lot (if you’re looking for long-term tenants)

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You don't want them, I'll take their money (and anyone else who qualifies) 24/7-365.

    Renting (or) not renting based on a persons religion is not allowed in the USA (for a long time--several decades).

    (Housing Discrimination under the HUD Fair Housing Act) https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/fair_housing_act_overview

    Good Luck!

  • Property Manager · Watertown, NY · Member since 2021 · 141 posts · 78 votes
    3y

    People usually say things like "I'm a clean person" to disarm you. Idk how many of these "clean people" I've done inspections on and they're the complete opposite of clean. Stick to your screening and qualifying criteria and don't let sob stories make you stray from those. 

  • Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 75 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner

    You shall know them by their fruit (s)

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 108 votes
    3y

    In my experience, if someone goes out of their way to say that, they're pretty bad. (Please don't cancel me)

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Tina Lee   Some good signs, when people say rent comes first or its a priority. 

    Some bad signs are well it didn't work out with my last landlord, well I have a "situation" or there was an "issue" at my last place means they are looking to tell you their story. I think the We are good christian folk may be the beginning of a tale as well because you don't need to know their religion as a landlord.

    I am looking to move in right away is usually bad. On the other hand  I can move in anytime is ok as they are in a flexible situation.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    As already mentioned, it's a way of disarming you on the front end. You don't need to do any due diligence or expect any trouble out of them because they've told you who they are. Never trust any of that. Have a process and stick by it, even if it's the Pope applying to rent your house. 

    Back when I had a day job I had a saying - as soon as someone told me in the course of our conversation, without meaning or prompting, that they were a cop or a preacher, I checked for my wallet. One of the worst dishonest experiences I ever had in public service involved a large, wealthy baptist church. That's not to disparage churches or anyone, only that business is business and you should follow protocol. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    With film, there's a saying "show don't tell."

    They might be good tenants and good people. But when they feel the need to say that, it makes me a bit suspicious. "Are you trying to compensate for something, here?"

    That being said, you have to screen based on their credit/criminal/employment/rental history, not your feel or what they say. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    hire a PM

    let them worry about all of this

    good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    hire a PM

    let them worry about all of this

    good luck

    Sure dude. I'll pay a PM around $3K a month to avoid maybe 8 hours of work, over charge me for maintenance and place tenants that change their Harley transmission oil in my living room. 
  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Rental and credit history don't lie. Tenants do.

  • Member since 2021 · 199 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    Thank you everyone for your reply, I do stick with credit check and income check plus many more.

    Just curious about a poster say when they say: we are (certain religion) folks. That’s a bad sign.

    ———

    For those who tell me to work with PM companh, my past experience will scream no way! Don’t even get me started about my PM experiences. I could vent for 3 days and nights.

  • Member since 2021 · 199 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    @Terrell Garren, some reason I can’t quote your reply on BP app.

    But I applause your reply ! Well said. I had horro story about work with PM

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Terrell Garren

    the difference is... you aren't worrying about stuff like this and posting on BP about it

  • Member since 2021 · 199 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    @Nicholas L. Is growing in pain, we all have to learn if we self manage.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Tina Lee

    I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing Terrell Garren.  Saying everyone should manage their own properties is like saying everyone should change their own oil and bake their own bread.

    I think that effective management frees up owners like yourselves to spend their time on other activities.

    But if self-management is both easy AND fulfilling for you then go for it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Tina Lee

    I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing Terrell Garren.  Saying everyone should manage their own properties is like saying everyone should change their own oil and bake their own bread.

    I think that effective management frees up owners like yourselves to spend their time on other activities.

    But if self-management is both easy AND fulfilling for you then go for it.


    The difference of working IN your business or ON your business....

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Tina Lee all that stuff, it comes under 1 heading; Tenant/Applicant is trying to "sell" you. 

    Now, is it a bad thing when a tenant/applicant is trying to sell-you? No, not inherently. But, someone who has issues, yeah, most often there gonna put in effort to sell-it right. 

    It's about identifying when someone is trying to sell-you, and not being sold, water off a ducks back, because we need to follow fact and data not emotions and catch-phrases. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Springs, CA · Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    The only time anyone has told me – without any prompting or context –that he was “a good Christian”, it was a “handyman” in his mid-twenties with a troubling hair cut and a two door car. He showed up the next day three hours late and violently hungover, and then asked for an advance on a future job I wasn’t even sure I was going to undertake. Caveat emptor! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.