Want to install cameras in 2 family

Want to install cameras in 2 family

Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 2 votes

Hey guys I’m new to landlording and I wanted to install some security cameras outdoors to capture front of the house the yard and driveway, does anyone know which cameras would be best something that I can watch on my phone while not at the property if need be. Also curious how to go about the wifi that’s usually needed to power the cameras do I ask the tenant for wifi or do I just get my own plan looking for all recommendations thanks in advance.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Multifamily I see no problem. Common areas of course. Wyze cam. V3 (I think) outdoor camera. You could supply the internet to tenants gratis, work it into the rent.  The base station has to plug into the router. One base station I think can control 4 cams. The cams are wireless and can hold a charge around 3 months before recharge. They record 12 seconds of movement. Or you can sign up for their service and record longer triggered segments.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Tony C.

    Hey, the government would also like to install some cameras at your personal house…. You good with that?  No?  Why not?  They said they know you own the house, but just want to keep up with what is going on there… you know… for tax purposes.  

    I’m not on board with your idea.  If you want to do an occasional drive by… sounds good… but any tenant is going to see constant monitoring through a “hey that’s not cool” kind of lens if I had to guess.  
    You rent a property as a residence with the idea that it is your space.  Yes, the landlord has an oversight role… but I don’t see webcams as a best approach in that situation… it’s too invasive in my book.  

    All the best! 

    Randy

  • Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    In fairness the yard isn’t a yard for bbqs or entertainment it’s strictly parking I agree it shouldn’t be invasive and that’s why it would only be towards entry points of the house. I dont really see it as being invasive to the renters it doesn’t show anything that goes on inside the doors. I mean there’s cameras on every street corner in New York do you walk by them and feel uncomfortable? Only if your doing something wrong and as a home owner if someone was doing something wrong I would like to see it 

  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tony C.:

    In fairness the yard isn’t a yard for bbqs or entertainment it’s strictly parking I agree it shouldn’t be invasive and that’s why it would only be towards entry points of the house. I dont really see it as being invasive to the renters it doesn’t show anything that goes on inside the doors. I mean there’s cameras on every street corner in New York do you walk by them and feel uncomfortable? Only if your doing something wrong and as a home owner if someone was doing something wrong I would like to see it 

     @Tony C.

    The comings and goings of a personal residence are still personal in my book.  If your tenants agreed to it, I would have no issues with it.  Otherwise I wouldn’t be ok with it personally.  

    Street corners in New York are a general public area and I wouldn’t have the expectation of privacy.  At my own residence (as a tenant) I would.  I will be interested what others think.

    Randy

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Multifamily I see no problem. Common areas of course. Wyze cam. V3 (I think) outdoor camera. You could supply the internet to tenants gratis, work it into the rent.  The base station has to plug into the router. One base station I think can control 4 cams. The cams are wireless and can hold a charge around 3 months before recharge. They record 12 seconds of movement. Or you can sign up for their service and record longer triggered segments.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I think 4 units and up it makes sense to get cameras, but for a duplex, might be overkill, unless the area you're investing in could call for it

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.