First property, generally freaking out

First property, generally freaking out

Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes

Ok. I acquired my first property about 5 months ago. Purchased from my aunt who was a heavy smoker so I knew there would be some rehab. I had scrubbed most walls with TSP (not all) and primed with 1 coat of kilz. Tenant has been in for about 5 weeks now and there have already been a variety of issues including what looks like nicotine or another old stain seeping through the paint (see pics). A few painters have said they've seen this, especially with heavily smoked in homes and to reprimer and paint. My worry is that some spots have a powdery middle spot to them, not all. Visible in one pic.

My big concern is mold. I don’t think this is mold but it got me thinking about mold. The basement is typical damp feeling. I added damprid buckets and will be getting a dehumidifier but anything else I can do to be aware of? 

I’m not sure my anxiety can handle being a landlord. Inspection occurred about 4 months ago and no signs of anything troublesome. 

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
3y

@Justin Dziedzic

With the pictures on something like this, it's always good to give an establishing shot, too, so someone looking at the problem has a better idea of where it is and what's around it.

I honestly have no clue what this is. But pick up a quart of shellac-based Zinsser B-I-N primer, too. Do TWO BRUSHED coats of that -- it dries a bit faster than Kilz and works great for problem areas. If whatever it is goes through that, too, then you probably do have something funny going on. If you have to cut out and replace and then refinish the drywall, it's really a lot easier than some would have you believe.

Worry less about mold. Every structure ever built by human beings has mold in it. If the basement is too damp, yes, that can be addressed (not fixed) with a dehumidifier.

The anxiety gets better as you gain experience, Justin. You're not sitting on the sidelines anymore, like half the people here in these forums. There's a lot to be said for that. You'll be fine.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Allentown, PA · Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    It's impossible to tell from looking at a picture exactly what that is but do the spots feel wet? Are there pipes or plumbing that run above the area? It's possible there are leaks. You could use a moisture detector to test the area in question. If it isn't mold it could well turn into in to mold if  constant moisture is present, especially if the drywall isn't the mold resistant type. 

    Usually mold has a particular musty odor associated with it, and It's possible the leaks occurred after the inspection as well. But my first step would be to check for the presence of water. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    There are lots of mold test kits available if you have doubts. But at HD, Amazon or even Walmart. Surface prep and eliminating the moisture are the most important steps in the process.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    For sealing in stains like that (if is from smoking), use spray paint and then normal paint over top.  Kilz should have also worked.

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ryan Legat:

    It's impossible to tell from looking at a picture exactly what that is but do the spots feel wet? Are there pipes or plumbing that run above the area? It's possible there are leaks. You could use a moisture detector to test the area in question. If it isn't mold it could well turn into in to mold if  constant moisture is present, especially if the drywall isn't the mold resistant type. 

    Usually mold has a particular musty odor associated with it, and It's possible the leaks occurred after the inspection as well. But my first step would be to check for the presence of water. 


     That’s the thing, and I should have provided more detail. They are not moist at all, nor do they smell. The areas they’re in are on walls that contain no plumbing, are not near vents or windows, etc. It’s a stairwell wall, the stairwell, and hallway opposite and plumbing. 

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    For sealing in stains like that (if is from smoking), use spray paint and then normal paint over top.  Kilz should have also worked.


    I think the one coat I put of kilz wasn’t enough. I hit it again with the spray can of kilz, a few coats. 

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    There are lots of mold test kits available if you have doubts. But at HD, Amazon or even Walmart. Surface prep and eliminating the moisture are the most important steps in the process.

    I’ll probably buy one to be on the safe side 
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Need to kilz and paint again, and possibly another time. That much smoke is hard to deal with! Only had to do this a couple of times with heavy smokers. I actually did an ozone machine first, then removed carpet and pad, treated the floor with special enzyme cleaner. I did have to replace some of the drywall at one unit because it would have been useless to kilz and paint 

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kim Meredith Hampton:

    Need to kilz and paint again, and possibly another time. That much smoke is hard to deal with! Only had to do this a couple of times with heavy smokers. I actually did an ozone machine first, then removed carpet and pad, treated the floor with special enzyme cleaner. I did have to replace some of the drywall at one unit because it would have been useless to kilz and paint 


     Yea I used the ozone after carpet and paint was done, lesson learned. Ugh 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Justin Dziedzic

    With the pictures on something like this, it's always good to give an establishing shot, too, so someone looking at the problem has a better idea of where it is and what's around it.

    I honestly have no clue what this is. But pick up a quart of shellac-based Zinsser B-I-N primer, too. Do TWO BRUSHED coats of that -- it dries a bit faster than Kilz and works great for problem areas. If whatever it is goes through that, too, then you probably do have something funny going on. If you have to cut out and replace and then refinish the drywall, it's really a lot easier than some would have you believe.

    Worry less about mold. Every structure ever built by human beings has mold in it. If the basement is too damp, yes, that can be addressed (not fixed) with a dehumidifier.

    The anxiety gets better as you gain experience, Justin. You're not sitting on the sidelines anymore, like half the people here in these forums. There's a lot to be said for that. You'll be fine.

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    @Justin Dziedzic

    With the pictures on something like this, it's always good to give an establishing shot, too, so someone looking at the problem has a better idea of where it is and what's around it.

    I honestly have no clue what this is. But pick up a quart of shellac-based Zinsser B-I-N primer, too. Do TWO BRUSHED coats of that -- it dries a bit faster than Kilz and works great for problem areas. If whatever it is goes through that, too, then you probably do have something funny going on. If you have to cut out and replace and then refinish the drywall, it's really a lot easier than some would have you believe.

    Worry less about mold. Every structure ever built by human beings has mold in it. If the basement is too damp, yes, that can be addressed (not fixed) with a dehumidifier.

    The anxiety gets better as you gain experience, Justin. You're not sitting on the sidelines anymore, like half the people here in these forums. There's a lot to be said for that. You'll be fine.


     I really appreciate this. It helps! I did two more coats of primer, will be back Saturday for another and to repaint. Also have a dehumidifier on the way for the basement and already have some Damprid buckets done there. 

    We’ll see…thanks again. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    Use a couple more coats of the stain blocking Kilz and it shouldn't come back, just let it dry in between coats!

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blake Novotney:

    Use a couple more coats of the stain blocking Kilz and it shouldn't come back, just let it dry in between coats!


     Thanks. I went and applied a coat yesterday, will do another on Saturday and repaint...talk about lessons learned with a first property..

  • Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2016 · 222 posts · 237 votes
    3y

    Love what @Jim K. said. I've been where you are @Justin Dziedzic thinking that this would be the thing that bankrupts me! 

    Once the anxiety settles (and it will) you'll remember that there are solutions to every problem and usually the worst case scenario is also the least likely. Houses are like legos, built up little by little meaning that while the finished product can be complex, they are simple systems built up around each other and each one can be fixed. 

    You can also try to view this as a learning opportunity (which it is) that will serve to make your future investing endeavors that much easier. Every serious investor has come across a little mold and much worse. In fact I got a call a few months ago that I had to get all new electrical service in one of my properties (so long $7k). In the beginning this would have crushed me, now it was more of okay, let's get it done quickly and move on. As you grow, so will the problems. Same stuff really, just more zeros. But this is progress. 

    You've got this! 

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    3y

    Most people don't put paint on thick enough and spend more time pushing paint around then putting it on the surface.   Give it 2 heavy coats of kilz.  1 mil is equal to 1 sheet of notebook paper thick.  So at 1.7 mil thick when dry is not even 2 sheets of paper.  

    https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-2

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Timothy Howdeshell:

    Love what @Jim K. said. I've been where you are @Justin Dziedzic thinking that this would be the thing that bankrupts me! 

    Once the anxiety settles (and it will) you'll remember that there are solutions to every problem and usually the worst case scenario is also the least likely. Houses are like legos, built up little by little meaning that while the finished product can be complex, they are simple systems built up around each other and each one can be fixed. 

    You can also try to view this as a learning opportunity (which it is) that will serve to make your future investing endeavors that much easier. Every serious investor has come across a little mold and much worse. In fact I got a call a few months ago that I had to get all new electrical service in one of my properties (so long $7k). In the beginning this would have crushed me, now it was more of okay, let's get it done quickly and move on. As you grow, so will the problems. Same stuff really, just more zeros. But this is progress. 

    You've got this! 


     This is fantastic, thank you so much for this! Im confident this is nicotine leaking through but my anxiety is getting the best of me as you said. 

    Just have to relax and take it one step at a time. Your Lego analogy was spot on. Thanks so much again!

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jim Adrian:

    Most people don't put paint on thick enough and spend more time pushing paint around then putting it on the surface.   Give it 2 heavy coats of kilz.  1 mil is equal to 1 sheet of notebook paper thick.  So at 1.7 mil thick when dry is not even 2 sheets of paper.  

    https://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-2


    Great to know, thank you!  

  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    3y

    @Justin Dziedzic,

    This is probably a dead issue but I figured I’ll throw in my experience. 
    In my latest home purchase, the previous owner was a heavy smoker AND the furnace was producing soot.It caused a ghosting effect on the walls. This is why it sat on the market longer than others.

    After doing a duct cleaning and replacing the furnace (both had to be done), here is how I got rid of it.

    1) Got several packs of soot sponges. Wipe, not scrub, off the stains. You’ll use a lot of these. Wear a mask and cover your hair as pieces do fly. These are great for the ceiling.

    2) Simple green. Their website has the mixture ratio to use for smoke damage. Some areas required a serious scrub but it worked. This is important as you need to wipe the trim, quarter rounds, etc as smoke doesn’t care. Can’t use it on the ceiling.

    3) Minimum of 2 coats of Killz. Had to get a few 5-gal drums. One room needed three.

    Once it was done, 0% issues.I did sand some walls lightly prior to painting to smooth them out for a professional look.

    Now, I had to do every.single.room. Because of this, have a candles/incense ban as well as no smoking. I have this story and the National Fire Prevention Association statistics if they question this.

    In hindsight, I wish I used an ozone machine.

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Todd Jones:

    @Justin Dziedzic,

    This is probably a dead issue but I figured I’ll throw in my experience. 
    In my latest home purchase, the previous owner was a heavy smoker AND the furnace was producing soot.It caused a ghosting effect on the walls. This is why it sat on the market longer than others.

    After doing a duct cleaning and replacing the furnace (both had to be done), here is how I got rid of it.

    1) Got several packs of soot sponges. Wipe, not scrub, off the stains. You’ll use a lot of these. Wear a mask and cover your hair as pieces do fly. These are great for the ceiling.

    2) Simple green. Their website has the mixture ratio to use for smoke damage. Some areas required a serious scrub but it worked. This is important as you need to wipe the trim, quarter rounds, etc as smoke doesn’t care. Can’t use it on the ceiling.

    3) Minimum of 2 coats of Killz. Had to get a few 5-gal drums. One room needed three.

    Once it was done, 0% issues.I did sand some walls lightly prior to painting to smooth them out for a professional look.

    Now, I had to do every.single.room. Because of this, have a candles/incense ban as well as no smoking. I have this story and the National Fire Prevention Association statistics if they question this.

    In hindsight, I wish I used an ozone machine.


     Thanks for this!

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 55 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    @Justin Dziedzic. A long time ago I helped a friend get ready to move into her new former-smoker owned house.  

    As we were rolling on the primer with a roller, the nicotine oil was oozing through.  

    It was disgusting.  It kinda felt like some weird Twilight Zone thing.  

    After doing one wall, we switched to enamel based paint.  The oil in the enamel sealed the oil in the nicotine laden walls maybe?

    It worked.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.