Quartz or Granite? They are the same price. For a rental

Quartz or Granite? They are the same price. For a rental

Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Which should I choose? They are the same price. I prefer the looks of the quartz, but I'm worried because it's not as durable and this will be a rental. Do I go with aesthetics or the somewhat higher durability?    

0Reply
99 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y

I switched a couple years ago. Granite use to be $300/slab and quartz was $500. But suddenly quartz (which is harder and more durable than granite) dropped to the same price. I really like the movement/waves in granite but the white quartz with “sparkles” goes with almost anything. 

If you find a pattern you like in quartz then because it’s more durable it’s the way to go. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    I switched a couple years ago. Granite use to be $300/slab and quartz was $500. But suddenly quartz (which is harder and more durable than granite) dropped to the same price. I really like the movement/waves in granite but the white quartz with “sparkles” goes with almost anything. 

    If you find a pattern you like in quartz then because it’s more durable it’s the way to go. 

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thanks Bill. I like the way the quartz looks. My only concern is if a tenant places a hot pan on the quartz and ruins it. I think the quartz will make the rental look more appealing and rent quicker. Just as a side note, this house is in a lower income area.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    If you can find a builder supplier specializing in 8’ x 24” slabs they are usually as cheap or cheaper than most alternatives. They make a lower income property stand out. If your tenants aren’t used to granite or quartz I’d put a reminder sheet on the counter when they move in. Though most lower income properties have Formica which is even more heat sensitive. So they might be used to keeping heat off countertops. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tyler White:

    Which should I choose? They are the same price. I prefer the looks of the quartz, but I'm worried because it's not as durable and this will be a rental. Do I go with aesthetics or the somewhat higher durability?    


    I recommend you read some articles or talk to some professionals. Quartz is harder than granite and more resistant to damage. Did you know granite is porous and should be resealed every year? Did you know some cleaning solutions can damage granite?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thanks Bill. That is a great point about these places typically having formica and being used to not placing hot items on the counters.

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thanks Nathan. Yes, I have spoken with various professional concerning this matter. I have granite at my residence and was aware of the porosity and the need to seal it. I seem to get different opinions  along the way. I love the way the quartz looks, although it is 2mm whereas the granite is 3mm. 

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    If they are the same price I would go for the quartz, just try not to choose white because they do tend to get stains easily and over time they get yellow.

    Altough granite is more durable, quartz looks modern and more expensive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    2y

    @Tyler White quartz often comes in 3 mm, so look for other product lines if you want thicker. It’s often cheaper to go with 3 mm than 2 mm since fab costs are often higher with 2 mm if you want cleaner edges.

    I’ve had both quartz and granite get damaged, so I don’t worry about that as a differentiator. I choose colors and patterns that conceal damages (burn marks or stains) better. Granite is old and dated, so depends on what look you want for your place.

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thanks Carla. The selections they have at this pricepoint for quartz is white with grey spots throughout the stone. I do prefer the look of the quartz to the granite.

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Allan C.--the quartz they are offering at this price point is 2cm as opposed to the 3cm for the granite. Thanks for your input. The granite does seem to be a little bit more dated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.