Calumet City, IL · Member since 2014 · 312 posts · 49 votes
So I'll try to make a long story short. I have a tenant that I inherited when I bought the property back in October. They have never paid in full or on time. Their lease runs out the end of this month and I told them about 3 weeks ago I was not going to renew it. I offered them $250 cash to be out by March 15th if they paid what was owed for this month and last month. They only made a partial payment. I told them deal was off and they need to be out by the 28th of Feb. They say they won't be able to move until the 15th of March. I have talked to my lawyer and it is going to cost $902 to evict them. (more than half of that is cook county IL court fees and such).
My question, do I wait and see if they will really leave by the 15th of next month or simply pay the $900 to start eviction now (which will still take about 6 weeks to get them out) I am concerned that if I pay the $900 and then they leave 2 days later. I am out $900 for nothing.
In this case, I would start the process, since they haven't kept any previous promises. I always try to work with tenants, but some will take advantage. If you wait until 3/15, that's another 6 weeks to wait...If you move now you will be 3 weeks ahead. Cover your bases!
All of the above. Send them a notice to evict via registed mail (return receipt). Offer to help them move before it takes effect (hopefully they go along with a date). File for an eviction. The longer you take the longer it will take.
I'd rather a $1000 loss than to prolong the situation and lose the grand along with several more months of possible rent and aquiring more and more structure damage to the property.
What if you never receive a return receipt mail back to you? In my case, I waited 2 weeks for the return receipt, and it never showed up. Now I have talked to my tenant on the phone, and she said she got the letter. But I had no confirmation.