Heyy. I'm trying to raise rent to fair market rent for one of my tenants. I have informed her through text and email. And heard no response. I texted again asking if she got my messages and if she had any questions. No response. I also texted if we could set up a time to chat on the phone. No answer. What should I do??
Heyy. I'm trying to raise rent to fair market rent for one of my tenants. I have informed her through text and email. And heard no response. I texted again asking if she got my messages and if she had any questions. No response. I also texted if we could set up a time to chat on the phone. No answer. What should I do??
You are making a common mistake of failing to set a deadline.
When I want a response from my tenant, I set a deadline and a consequence for failing to respond.
"Dear Tenant,
Due to increases in costs, I am forced to increase your rent. Your rent rate is currently $500 below market, but I am willing to keep it below market as an incentive to stay.
Your new rent rate will be $1,650 effective June 1st, and I require you to take responsibility for the heat. This rate is based on a signed one-year lease term.
I need you to agree to this change by signing a new lease no later than April 20, 2024. If I do not have a signed lease with you by that date, then I will accept that as your notice of termination and expect you to move out no later than 11:59 p.m. on May 31, 2024."
In this case you're running a business...
Therefore:
1 - Be professional,
2 - perform excellent customer service!
3 - Your tenants are NOT your friends, they are your customers. (yes that stings sometimes...)
I forgot to add 4 - the customer is NOT always right. Practice saying "no, sorry", "H. No!", and if they still don't get it then "F. NO!". :D
In this case you're running a business...
Therefore:
1 - Be professional,
2 - perform excellent customer service!
3 - Your tenants are NOT your friends, they are your customers. (yes that stings sometimes...)
True that.
@Kaitlin ScutariIs sounds like she doesn’t want to stay so I would begin advertising.
Heyy. I'm trying to raise rent to fair market rent for one of my tenants. I have informed her through text and email. And heard no response. I texted again asking if she got my messages and if she had any questions. No response. I also texted if we could set up a time to chat on the phone. No answer. What should I do??
Though you may be texting buddies, I think it would have been better and more professional to send a proper notice in writing. And since it's such a large increase, give more than a months notice for courtesy sake. Just following your state rules for rent increase may not be enough if its only 30 days. I've been guilty of a few shock increases myself in the past, but I'm older and a little wiser now. In Seattle 6 months notice is too much, but some states where it's only 30 days, more notice is in order for such a large increase. With an explanation would be nice too. Just sayin.
@Henry T. I think referring to @Account Closed's method of communication with her tenant as "texting buddies" is rude, condescending and out of touch.
If that is the normal method of communication with this tenant, in my state it is legal, proper, and efficient to communicate notices by text and in my view there is nothing "unprofessional" about texting per se; communication by any method might be 'professional' or 'unprofessional' based on the content. My leases all require tenants to accept notices by email and text, to "opt in" for text messages from my property management software, and to maintain a current email and phone number in my system for the duration of their tenancy. Texting is in my view an ideal way to communicate with tenants. Tenants generally prefer it and respond quickly, it is effective in situations where a phone call or even a letter is not feasible, and the landlord ends up with written documentation of the discussion.
Heyy. I'm trying to raise rent to fair market rent for one of my tenants. I have informed her through text and email. And heard no response. I texted again asking if she got my messages and if she had any questions. No response. I also texted if we could set up a time to chat on the phone. No answer. What should I do??
In Ohio, all you need to do for a rent increase is give 30 days written notice. The law does not specify how it must be delivered and if the lease does not specify a required method then you have already done all that is required. I would just wait and if I didn't get the new rent amount when rent is due I would let her know she has until the end of the grace period (if you have one) to make up the difference or she'll incur a late fee. I would also let her know that if she chooses not to sign a new lease rent the rent will increase another $50 each month until she either signs a new lease or calls me to discuss other options.
The lease only states how the tenant should give notice- which is 30 days- "
"To give thirty days written notice by registered mail or hand delivered to management prior to vacating said premises and to permit prospective tenants the opportunity of reasonable inspection"
This was the lease the former owner used- so I just adopted it and was going to implement the standard Massachusetts lease with the new signing (gotten here on Bigger Pockets).
I'm giving more than 30 days at the moment. And she IS month to month- So I guess I'll give this week to ignore me more and then at the end of the week I will let her know she needs to inform me no later than May 1, 2024 if she is staying or going.
Her rent is WAY below market value- they pay 1300 for a 3 bed- heat included. So fair market is 1766 without heat- so I'm upping her rent to 1750 (cutting them a little break). They also have a garage and basement access...and trash removal etc. Also I put in all new appliances for them lol.
This is not an answer to your general question. Increasing from $1300. to $1750 is probably not what most people consider you giving them a little break.
Due to the fact that tenants don't like to have their rents raised they will often ignore the rent increase and will not respond or sign the lease. We have built into the lease that if they ignore us and do not sign than the increase is automatically but into effect AND there is a $100 fee for each month that they do not sign. This has created a much higher response rate. In your case, I would call the tenant several times and then I would post a notice on their door letting them know the deadline and penalties. We give our tenants 5 - 10 warning shots before we automatically raise their rents.
Heyy. I'm trying to raise rent to fair market rent for one of my tenants. I have informed her through text and email. And heard no response. I texted again asking if she got my messages and if she had any questions. No response. I also texted if we could set up a time to chat on the phone. No answer. What should I do??
Maybe you have the wrong number? I'd try leaving a written notice on her front door.
At the end of the day, business is business and it's nothing personal. I would set a deadline for her to respond to and if you don't hear anything from her by that time, just send her an email, text, voicemail, and probably even post something on their door. The notice could be something along the lines of, due to not receiving any response from you in regards to your rent increase, I am going to assume that you do not wish to continue with the higher rent and your lease will expire on x date at x time. I would definitely recommend at least prepping to get the property posted on the market.
The lease only states how the tenant should give notice- which is 30 days- "
"To give thirty days written notice by registered mail or hand delivered to management prior to vacating said premises and to permit prospective tenants the opportunity of reasonable inspection"
This was the lease the former owner used- so I just adopted it and was going to implement the standard Massachusetts lease with the new signing (gotten here on Bigger Pockets).
I'm giving more than 30 days at the moment. And she IS month to month- So I guess I'll give this week to ignore me more and then at the end of the week I will let her know she needs to inform me no later than May 1, 2024 if she is staying or going.
Her rent is WAY below market value- they pay 1300 for a 3 bed- heat included. So fair market is 1766 without heat- so I'm upping her rent to 1750 (cutting them a little break). They also have a garage and basement access...and trash removal etc. Also I put in all new appliances for them lol.
This is not an answer to your general question. Increasing from $1300. to $1750 is probably not what most people consider you giving them a little break.
Yes, what is perceived as cutting them a little break in essence can be the catalyst of destroying someones life. I think it was some astounding estimate that in general, a significant degree of the US population lives check to check and will go into default of everything with almost any unexpected expense. Inflation is up, people are stressed, savings are exhausted and this unexpected so called break may leave this person homeless. There are some who are paying rent by skipping meals. Not the landlords problem I guess but its real. Iḿ doing well and can absorb so much more than they average American, and still all the rate increases was painful. It literally kicked me in the nuts. For many I know it would completely sink them into disaster or make others lose their businesses.
@Henry T. I think referring to @Account Closed's method of communication with her tenant as "texting buddies" is rude, condescending and out of touch.
If that is the normal method of communication with this tenant, in my state it is legal, proper, and efficient to communicate notices by text and in my view there is nothing "unprofessional" about texting per se; communication by any method might be 'professional' or 'unprofessional' based on the content. My leases all require tenants to accept notices by email and text, to "opt in" for text messages from my property management software, and to maintain a current email and phone number in my system for the duration of their tenancy. Texting is in my view an ideal way to communicate with tenants. Tenants generally prefer it and respond quickly, it is effective in situations where a phone call or even a letter is not feasible, and the landlord ends up with written documentation of the discussion.
I appreciate that, and yeah I can be blunt. I don't mean to offend, sorry if I did. Texting is helpful but I also think it's problematic. Being too cozy and available is unwise imho, and that's what I meant to get across. I think the tenant is clearly angry, and rightfully so. If it escalates, text may or may not be allowed in court, your written/delivered notice is.
@Account Closed, solid advice from Nathan Gesner and Russel Brazil, I could only repeat what they have said.
I would strongly suggest to not follow some of the "put the hammer down" advice you have gotten here. That is not constructive, makes for bad blood and the last thing you need is a $5,000 eviction.
Your tenants have not responded, because they don't know how. They are considering their options, looking at the market, probably starting to realize market rents.
There is a good chance they will move and that's fine. That's why a good renewal notice allows them to choose, new rent or move out.
You are in Massachusetts! Be very careful. You need to give proper notice by ending the current tenancy and then offering a new one at the new, higher term. I do not believe texting is going to cut it in this state. Although not required I always have these notices served by the constable.
If there is no response either way and they stay beyond the end of the tenancy and don't pay then you will need to evict.
If you just lost $20,000 on a previous evection, I would talk to that attorney to be sure you are handling this one correct for Mass.
If these are inherited tenants and the old landlord lease is in place, you may not be able to raise the rent until the lease expires. You would still have to send a notice of non-renewal
What is this ****.
First if you're going to raise someone's rent by a third don't call it a little break. It's irrelevant where the market is, it's a relative basis on where there's is. Second, before you have the audacity to casually type over a 33% rate increase go do a property inspection so you can be ready to see the damage that could be done after they read that text. Third, you never make offers without deadlines. Fourth, you're not fit for this **** hire a property manager and get your dusty hands off this. Fifth, you're a contributing reason why landlords have bad reps.
What is this ****.
First if you're going to raise someone's rent by a third don't call it a little break. It's irrelevant where the market is, it's a relative basis on where there's is. Second, before you have the audacity to casually type over a 33% rate increase go do a property inspection so you can be ready to see the damage that could be done after they read that text. Third, you never make offers without deadlines. Fourth, you're not fit for this **** hire a property manager and get your dusty hands off this. Fifth, you're a contributing reason why landlords have bad reps.
You are in Massachusetts! Be very careful. You need to give proper notice by ending the current tenancy and then offering a new one at the new, higher term. I do not believe texting is going to cut it in this state. Although not required I always have these notices served by the constable.
If there is no response either way and they stay beyond the end of the tenancy and don't pay then you will need to evict.
If you just lost $20,000 on a previous evection, I would talk to that attorney to be sure you are handling this one correct for Mass.
If these are inherited tenants and the old landlord lease is in place, you may not be able to raise the rent until the lease expires. You would still have to send a notice of non-renewal
@Henry T. I think referring to @Account Closed's method of communication with her tenant as "texting buddies" is rude, condescending and out of touch.
If that is the normal method of communication with this tenant, in my state it is legal, proper, and efficient to communicate notices by text and in my view there is nothing "unprofessional" about texting per se; communication by any method might be 'professional' or 'unprofessional' based on the content. My leases all require tenants to accept notices by email and text, to "opt in" for text messages from my property management software, and to maintain a current email and phone number in my system for the duration of their tenancy. Texting is in my view an ideal way to communicate with tenants. Tenants generally prefer it and respond quickly, it is effective in situations where a phone call or even a letter is not feasible, and the landlord ends up with written documentation of the discussion.
I appreciate that, and yeah I can be blunt. I don't mean to offend, sorry if I did. Texting is helpful but I also think it's problematic. Being too cozy and available is unwise imho, and that's what I meant to get across. I think the tenant is clearly angry, and rightfully so. If it escalates, text may or may not be allowed in court, your written/delivered notice is.
What is this ****.
First if you're going to raise someone's rent by a third don't call it a little break. It's irrelevant where the market is, it's a relative basis on where there's is. Second, before you have the audacity to casually type over a 33% rate increase go do a property inspection so you can be ready to see the damage that could be done after they read that text. Third, you never make offers without deadlines. Fourth, you're not fit for this **** hire a property manager and get your dusty hands off this. Fifth, you're a contributing reason why landlords have bad reps.
Saying you're not fit is insane? Then you follow up with saying this is your first year as a landlord and prior to that saying you have a real estate mentor. Then to add that, you've already had some eviction issues with heavy costs to cover.
You basically agree with me--- you are not fit. Hire a PM, save yourself.
What is this ****.
First if you're going to raise someone's rent by a third don't call it a little break. It's irrelevant where the market is, it's a relative basis on where there's is. Second, before you have the audacity to casually type over a 33% rate increase go do a property inspection so you can be ready to see the damage that could be done after they read that text. Third, you never make offers without deadlines. Fourth, you're not fit for this **** hire a property manager and get your dusty hands off this. Fifth, you're a contributing reason why landlords have bad reps.
Saying you're not fit is insane? Then you follow up with saying this is your first year as a landlord and prior to that saying you have a real estate mentor. Then to add that, you've already had some eviction issues with heavy costs to cover.
You basically agree with me--- you are not fit. Hire a PM, save yourself.
I'm fit. unfit would be someone who isn't able to learn the duty. I've done a lot of good. You're being unhelpful -
What is this ****.
First if you're going to raise someone's rent by a third don't call it a little break. It's irrelevant where the market is, it's a relative basis on where there's is. Second, before you have the audacity to casually type over a 33% rate increase go do a property inspection so you can be ready to see the damage that could be done after they read that text. Third, you never make offers without deadlines. Fourth, you're not fit for this **** hire a property manager and get your dusty hands off this. Fifth, you're a contributing reason why landlords have bad reps.
Saying you're not fit is insane? Then you follow up with saying this is your first year as a landlord and prior to that saying you have a real estate mentor. Then to add that, you've already had some eviction issues with heavy costs to cover.
You basically agree with me--- you are not fit. Hire a PM, save yourself.
Kaitlin - We're just trying to help. And VG is at least partially correct. This has been handled all wrong by you the landlord. Sure you can maybe learn as you go, but every mistake costs you way more than just hiring a good PM. And some people are just not made for this business, we see them on here every day...this is a complicated business with lots of moving parts.
This ^^^^ And I saw a news story recently that 50% of the US is currently having problems making their housing payment - both renters and owners. Imagine someone in this position getting a $450 mo raise. It would even shock people without money problems, that's a $5400 a year hit...
What is this ****.
First if you're going to raise someone's rent by a third don't call it a little break. It's irrelevant where the market is, it's a relative basis on where there's is. Second, before you have the audacity to casually type over a 33% rate increase go do a property inspection so you can be ready to see the damage that could be done after they read that text. Third, you never make offers without deadlines. Fourth, you're not fit for this **** hire a property manager and get your dusty hands off this. Fifth, you're a contributing reason why landlords have bad reps.
Saying you're not fit is insane? Then you follow up with saying this is your first year as a landlord and prior to that saying you have a real estate mentor. Then to add that, you've already had some eviction issues with heavy costs to cover.
You basically agree with me--- you are not fit. Hire a PM, save yourself.
I'm fit. unfit would be someone who isn't able to learn the duty. I've done a lot of good. You're being unhelpful -
I would not put it as colorfully as that, but I think the over all point is that to some degree your general mentality may not be as conducive to the way a lot of landlord dynamics work. I understand you are new and just learning but try to at least consider some of the reactions in here. Its a lot to take in and I understand there are learning curves. This is clearly a business and on the face of it you want to get to where the business should be. However, it seems like you have either a nonchalant or possible lack understanding in regards to the community you are serving. You seem to not grasp or maybe not care that you could astronomically be devastating someoneś entire family, possibly leaving them homeless or in all out despair. You seem not to perceive the basic concept of why they may not be responding to you. Its a lot to unpack here but I will tell you there are ways of doing things in this business. The worst thing you can do as a landlord is be hated where people feel you have personally and negatively impacted them. People who do this learn valuable lessons the hard way. And yes, many landlords do operate this way but itś primarily responsible for why we are all so hated and placed in the same bucket. Its stuff like that which prompts liberal cities to be very landlord hostile. I do wish you the best though. In essence, the best advice I can provide is know, understand .and respect the community you are serving and will go very far in this business.