Flipper/Rehabber · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 52 votes
2y
I always recommend RentRedi to those with "smaller" portfolios. Inexpensive, intuitive, and has a lot of good features, including the late fee penalty. It has an option to charge a 1x fee after a specific date or a daily fee that accumulates.
Flipper/Rehabber · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 52 votes
2y
I always recommend RentRedi to those with "smaller" portfolios. Inexpensive, intuitive, and has a lot of good features, including the late fee penalty. It has an option to charge a 1x fee after a specific date or a daily fee that accumulates.
I always recommend RentRedi to those with "smaller" portfolios. Inexpensive, intuitive, and has a lot of good features, including the late fee penalty. It has an option to charge a 1x fee after a specific date or a daily fee that accumulates.
Thank you @Taylor
Do you have the website for Inexpensive and Intuitive.
Daily late fees are a bad idea, for several reasons.
First, you and the tenant are likely to disagree one how much is accumulated. If you charge $10 daily fee starting on the 5th and the tenant pays on the 11th, is that $60 or $70?
Second, tenants don't care about small amounts and they'll let it grow. Soon it becomes unbearable and they can't afford to pay it, but you keep adding it up and it becomes even more unbearable.
Third, courts will only allow "reasonable" late fees. If you charge $10 a day and the tenant is 30 days late on a $800 rental, the court won't consider that reasonable.
I charge a one-time fee of $50 or 5% of the monthly rent, whichever is greater. It's charged on the first day the law allows (in my state we can't charge late fees until the 5th day). I give them five days to pay everything they owe, including the late fee. If still not paid in full by the 10th, then I start the eviction on the 11th.
It is foolish to continue adding late fees thinking you will make more money. Use the fee as a tool to keep tenants on track. Set solid policies and apply them every time, without fail, and your life will be much better for it.