Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 17 votes
Hi all,
We purchased SFH In Columbus, Ohio. Since we are out of state, we need someone to observe the minor renovation progress.
What would be the average daily rate for hiring a renovation project manager to check on the progress and ensure that contractors are doing their job properly? We have someone and I'm thinking of starting at $50 per visit for this role. What are your thoughts on this amount? He has done several times in the past with someone else. Before finalizing the deal, I'd like to get some opinions on whether this amount is too low or too high. The renovation projects are minor ones, such as painting, window work, kitchen renovations, some repairs and corrections that do not require permits.
I’m in Columbus, Ohio and that is not a bad price. Make sure he takes pictures of it and also take some other pictures so you can have the current status. Will he have access to the SOW? It will make it easier for him to keep track of project with you.
I’m in Columbus, Ohio and that is not a bad price. Make sure he takes pictures of it and also take some other pictures so you can have the current status. Will he have access to the SOW? It will make it easier for him to keep track of project with you.
Contractor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 83 votes
2y
I would just hire a quality general contractor, for example we have weekly updates via company cam photo and video documentation. As well as an owners portal in Buildertrend to capture all finances and scheduling updates. Hiring an extra person does not seem like the right step. Do you have an existing relationship with an agent or PM who is already on your team. Again this is not the ultimate solution to the problem but at least they would have a vested interest.
Do you have a property manager? That would be the #1 choice. It sounds as though you are going to self-manage from a distance, which I feel is a big mistake that could cost you a lot more down the road.