A Great Tenant Can’t Make Rent

A Great Tenant Can’t Make Rent

Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes

Help! I have a great tenant that has been with us for about 2 years. She is currently locked into a lease, but she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.

She has never been late or given issues before  she takes GREAT care of the property. I really don’t want to lose her!


What are my options??


0Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
2y

If she's struggling now and says it is harder to pay each month, let her out of the lease without any penalty. She can then find a new place.  

The other option is ask her if she wants to find a roommate and they can split the rent.  If you do the latter, you need to screen the new person the same way you did the first person.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    Jesus dude. Have you not read any of my other responses? She’s been with us for two years and takes better care of the place than any of my other tenants. Turns out that it’s not that she can’t pay, but wants to buy her own place. Christ BP is a joke.
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    Jesus dude. Have you not read any of my other responses? She’s been with us for two years and takes better care of the place than any of my other tenants. Turns out that it’s not that she can’t pay, but wants to buy her own place. Christ BP is a joke.

    Well heck Cameron, let's really get things fixed up here because tell ya what, I'm more then happy to rent any/all of your properties and I'll be an even greater tenant; I'll happily strive to pay you half of your rents because, well as chance has it I'm also saving up to buy another place, always, lol.... 

    And ah, yeah, I'll keep em in excellent condition to. I mean, I'm gonna rent em and take full rent's but hey, long as I'm almost paying your rent it's ok, right. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    Jesus dude. Have you not read any of my other responses? She’s been with us for two years and takes better care of the place than any of my other tenants. Turns out that it’s not that she can’t pay, but wants to buy her own place. Christ BP is a joke.
    BP isn't a joke.  Your post title says "Great Tenant can't make rent", and the responses are questioning your definition of a "great tenant".  A tenant that doesn't, or can't, pay rent...for ANY reason, isn't a "great tenant".  You asked the question, and got the same answer,...just worded differently.
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    You probably should have worded your question differently.  What you should have said was, "I have a tenant that's been with me for 2 years.  She takes really good care of the place, but she's going to be 900 short this month, and states she's having a hard time making rent every month" What should I do?".  Notice I left the word "great" out of the question.

    If I restated your actual question, it would read like this:  "I have a tenant that I've had for 2 years that takes really good care of the place.  Unfortunately, I have to pay 900 of her rent this month, and I find out I've come close to having to come up with part of her rent for a number of the previous months.  What should I do?"  Notice the word "great" is still missing.

  • Victor PatelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    2y

    A "great" tenant is one that pays on time.  Treat the rental as a business.  As a broker specializing in rental properties for the last 20+ years the worst stories I have heard came from landlords who became friends with their tenants.  

    It is important to keep the landlord-tenant relation as business only.  It will be less of a heartache in the future.

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    Jesus dude. Have you not read any of my other responses? She’s been with us for two years and takes better care of the place than any of my other tenants. Turns out that it’s not that she can’t pay, but wants to buy her own place. Christ BP is a joke.

    Well heck Cameron, let's really get things fixed up here because tell ya what, I'm more then happy to rent any/all of your properties and I'll be an even greater tenant; I'll happily strive to pay you half of your rents because, well as chance has it I'm also saving up to buy another place, always, lol.... 

    And ah, yeah, I'll keep em in excellent condition to. I mean, I'm gonna rent em and take full rent's but hey, long as I'm almost paying your rent it's ok, right. 


     A bunch of cynical bas tards. I don’t need this man. I’ve been doing fine on my own. Peace!

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

    You probably should have worded your question differently.  What you should have said was, "I have a tenant that's been with me for 2 years.  She takes really good care of the place, but she's going to be 900 short this month, and states she's having a hard time making rent every month" What should I do?".  Notice I left the word "great" out of the question.

    If I restated your actual question, it would read like this:  "I have a tenant that I've had for 2 years that takes really good care of the place.  Unfortunately, I have to pay 900 of her rent this month, and I find out I've come close to having to come up with part of her rent for a number of the previous months.  What should I do?"  Notice the word "great" is still missing.


     Wtf? When did I say I was paying her rent hahah! Whatever. I’m deleting BP. Looks like a massive circle jerk!

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    Jesus dude. Have you not read any of my other responses? She’s been with us for two years and takes better care of the place than any of my other tenants. Turns out that it’s not that she can’t pay, but wants to buy her own place. Christ BP is a joke.
    BP isn't a joke.  Your post title says "Great Tenant can't make rent", and the responses are questioning your definition of a "great tenant".  A tenant that doesn't, or can't, pay rent...for ANY reason, isn't a "great tenant".  You asked the question, and got the same answer,...just worded differently.

    I think the O.P.'s thin skin defensiveness prevented from noticing the core to all this; 
    The issues come from getting personal or personalizing. 

    This is the root cause to so many landlord headaches and nightmares. 
    Getting personal and personalizing. 
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    His feelings were hurt so he left! 

    As I stated in many other posts, the climate of this forum now has an extensive degree of real estate professionals taking time out of their busy business lives to literally waste it. 

    If its not newbies who want to get rich quick and never return to read the answers, or people who are butt hurt because a response didnt make them feel good. 

    To all this isnt getting old to, I commend you! 

    Sigh

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    The rising cost of pretty much everything is straining budgets, especially of your working tenants.

    I see "it is getting harder to pay every month" becoming more common.  Have strong reserves out there.  

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    Jesus dude. Have you not read any of my other responses? She’s been with us for two years and takes better care of the place than any of my other tenants. Turns out that it’s not that she can’t pay, but wants to buy her own place. Christ BP is a joke.
    BP isn't a joke.  Your post title says "Great Tenant can't make rent", and the responses are questioning your definition of a "great tenant".  A tenant that doesn't, or can't, pay rent...for ANY reason, isn't a "great tenant".  You asked the question, and got the same answer,...just worded differently.

    I think the O.P.'s thin skin defensiveness prevented from noticing the core to all this; 
    The issues come from getting personal or personalizing. 

    This is the root cause to so many landlord headaches and nightmares. 
    Getting personal and personalizing. 
    Couldn't agree more
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

    You probably should have worded your question differently.  What you should have said was, "I have a tenant that's been with me for 2 years.  She takes really good care of the place, but she's going to be 900 short this month, and states she's having a hard time making rent every month" What should I do?".  Notice I left the word "great" out of the question.

    If I restated your actual question, it would read like this:  "I have a tenant that I've had for 2 years that takes really good care of the place.  Unfortunately, I have to pay 900 of her rent this month, and I find out I've come close to having to come up with part of her rent for a number of the previous months.  What should I do?"  Notice the word "great" is still missing.


     Wtf? When did I say I was paying her rent hahah! Whatever. I’m deleting BP. Looks like a massive circle jerk!


    when you have negative cash flow, in other words, when your tenant can't pay the rent and you have to make up any difference in cost because of it, that's called "paying the rent for the tenant".
  • Attorney · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2023 · 178 posts · 106 votes
    2y

    When the tenant admits to struggling to pay rent, it's inevitable that you will have to deliver a notice to pay or vacate. Discuss terminating the lease with the tenant and enter into a termination agreement for her to leave by a date certain. Find a tenant who can pay the rent and be a good tenant during the tenancy. 

  • New to Real Estate · MI · Member since 2024 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Tenants who inform the LL that they walk around naked have been the death of many landlords I hear. 

    Lol, my thoughts exactly!
  • Investor · pensacola fl · Member since 2023 · 57 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    see if she can qualify for a section 8 voucher

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.