A Great Tenant Can’t Make Rent

A Great Tenant Can’t Make Rent

Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes

Help! I have a great tenant that has been with us for about 2 years. She is currently locked into a lease, but she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.

She has never been late or given issues before  she takes GREAT care of the property. I really don’t want to lose her!


What are my options??


0Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
2y

If she's struggling now and says it is harder to pay each month, let her out of the lease without any penalty. She can then find a new place.  

The other option is ask her if she wants to find a roommate and they can split the rent.  If you do the latter, you need to screen the new person the same way you did the first person.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    If she's struggling now and says it is harder to pay each month, let her out of the lease without any penalty. She can then find a new place.  

    The other option is ask her if she wants to find a roommate and they can split the rent.  If you do the latter, you need to screen the new person the same way you did the first person.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    My second post in a row saying…What she said. Perfect answer. It’s not going to get better. If she doesn’t have a friend/co-worker/relative looking for a place to live or the property isn’t big enough for both of them. Let them go and thank them. Both for the past and not dragging out the present. 

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    If she's struggling now and says it is harder to pay each month, let her out of the lease without any penalty. She can then find a new place.  

    The other option is ask her if she wants to find a roommate and they can split the rent.  If you do the latter, you need to screen the new person the same way you did the first person.

    I offered to let her have roommates, but she doesn’t want to deal with it because she has no one that she would trust to do it.

    She said “You know I have a big *** dog, but you didn’t know that I like to walk around the house naked too” hahaha

    Sounds like I’m losing this one. 
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    I’ll just throw this one out there….

    Are you single? Is she?  :-). 
      

    All the best and good luck. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    If she's struggling now and says it is harder to pay each month, let her out of the lease without any penalty. She can then find a new place.  

    The other option is ask her if she wants to find a roommate and they can split the rent.  If you do the latter, you need to screen the new person the same way you did the first person.

    I offered to let her have roommates, but she doesn’t want to deal with it because she has no one that she would trust to do it.

    She said “You know I have a big *** dog, but you didn’t know that I like to walk around the house naked too” hahaha

    Sounds like I’m losing this one. 

     Then that is her choice. The consequence is that she needs to move to a less expensive place.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    Tenants who inform the LL that they walk around naked have been the death of many landlords I hear. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    That’s why I suggested he move form landlord relationship to “it’s complicated” relationship. :-)

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y

    Let her go before this turns into a disaster. She already sounds a little "off-center" and I suspect she's not as perfect as you think she is.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Let her go before this turns into a disaster. She already sounds a little "off-center" and I suspect she's not as perfect as you think she is.

    Well no one is. She is a great tenant tho 👍 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Cameron H. She isn't a great tenant anymore if she can't pay the rent. This is the beginning of the end.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Account Closed,

    This is a slippery slope of complaining, and she is hoping you will lower rent.     Let me just say, of all the tenants I have thought were "great tenants" ... only 10% did I think that after they moved out and I saw the turnover.     90%, I just thought.. oh wow,  all you did was actually pay on time. 

    I'd absolutely let her out of the lease, and suggest she find some place more affordable.   It's not your job to solve her problems.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Let her go before this turns into a disaster. She already sounds a little "off-center" and I suspect she's not as perfect as you think she is.

    Well no one is. She is a great tenant tho 👍 

    What makes her a great tenant?  If it's her "wardrobe", then you're mistaking "tenant" for,...<fill in the blank>.
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    In the past I have always functioned in the class D space which meant its challenging at times to get very good tenants. They are out there but you have to weed through a lot to get them. Because of this, I'm forced to give all kinds of breaks and leeway. I'm naturally a nice person so its not that hard for me. It just depends on the situation. However, without question you are setting yourself up for a problem here. Any experienced landlord here, can see what you presented and will clearly tell you its a problem. Like many said, it wont get better. You are running a business, not a charity. If she cant pay her rent you go find the next great tenant who can. Believe me, everyone has a story of why its so hard and why they cant pay. You allow this, it will be a story every month which equates to you paying. If you desire to pay her rent than oh well, but try to tell Well Fargo or the Nisssan dealer its hard to pay your note and see if they let you keep the asset. Its possible she sees some kind of weakness there for her to exploit and is testing the waters of what she can get. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Do you have any properties with cheaper rent?

    In this supposed 'greatest economy ever' I've had a few tenants within the past week tell me they won't be renewing because they can't afford it. One tenant is moving in with friends (he did ask if I had a 3-4 bedroom and I have several but neither will be ready in time) and the other tenant just had a baby so I don't know if she's moving in with her boyfriend or what's going on but sadly things like this will occur more and more often in this economy. 

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    In the past I have always functioned in the class D space which meant its challenging at times to get very good tenants. They are out there but you have to weed through a lot to get them. Because of this, I'm forced to give all kinds of breaks and leeway. I'm naturally a nice person so its not that hard for me. I just depends on the situation. However, without question you are setting yourself up for a problem here. Any experience landlord here, can see what you presented and will clearly tell you its a problem. Like many said, it wont get better. You are running a business, not a charity. If she cant pay her rent you go find the next great tenant who can. Believe me, everyone has a story of why its so hard and why they cant pay. You allow this, it will be a story every month which equates to you paying. If you desire to pay her rent than oh well, but try to tell Well Fargo or the Nisssan dealer its hard to pay your note and see if they let you keep the asset. 

    By the way, this comment isn’t directed specifically towards you Mark:


     Jesus Christ I wish I didn’t post this now. She is leaving by the way. I just wanted to explore any options besides the obvious like letting her lease out rooms. 

    You’re right I’m not running a charity. I had no intention of lowering the rent. I have a margin that I operate on, period. I guess I should have been more specific in my post.

    I offered to put her in a cheaper unit and the truth is, she is moving in with her dad so that she can save money and buy her own place. Kudos to her.

    I do inspections on all of my properties every three months when I go in to change the air filter, check for leaks, and general cleanliness. I’ll say, her tenancy is the only one where the property looks better now than it did when she moved in. I wish I could say the same for all of my tenants. THATS why she was as a good tenant. I can’t fault her for bettering herself though.

    I’m done with this thread though. Too many bs responses whenever I didn’t ask for them.  Like I said, maybe it’s my fault for not offering more info.

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Karl B.:

    Do you have any properties with cheaper rent?

    In this supposed 'greatest economy ever' I've had a few tenants within the past week tell me they won't be renewing because they can't afford it. One tenant is moving in with friends (he did ask if I had a 3-4 bedroom and I have several but neither will be ready in time) and the other tenant just had a baby so I don't know if she's moving in with her boyfriend or what's going on but sadly things like this will occur more and more often in this economy. 

    This. Thank you for a real response.
  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Linda S.:

    @Account Closed,

    This is a slippery slope of complaining, and she is hoping you will lower rent.     Let me just say, of all the tenants I have thought were "great tenants" ... only 10% did I think that after they moved out and I saw the turnover.     90%, I just thought.. oh wow,  all you did was actually pay on time. 

    I'd absolutely let her out of the lease, and suggest she find some place more affordable.   It's not your job to solve her problems.


     See my above comments. Also, she’s never asked me to lower rent, she’s never been late, and I won’t lower rent. I was hoping by posting this that people would have some out of the box solutions besides stating the obvious.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Account Closed I know you said it wasnt directed at me but either way I'm not sure what you are looking for. There are dozens of professional landlords here who read what you said and took the time out to share their perspectives with you. Everyone was trying to help. If you cant handle the responses you dont like and are only receptive to the ones that make you feel good, clearly BP aint for you. However, if you want honest and professional opinions from hundreds of years of collective working knowledge,  than this is the place. Man, I wish I had this spot when I was first starting out. People here have took those lumps and are assisting others in clearing hurdles. I wish you the best but this is a rough biz and you may not always get something exactly how you wish to hear it. With all due respect, so far I have not seen one BS response. 

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    @Account Closed I know you said it wasnt directed at me but either way I'm not sure what you are looking for. There are dozens of professional landlords here who read what you said and took the time out to share their perspectives with you. Everyone was trying to help. If you cant handle the responses you dont like and are only receptive to the ones that make you feel good, clearly BP aint for you. However, if you want honest and professional opinions from hundreds of years of collective working knowledge,  than this is the place. Man, I wish I had this spot when I was first starting out. People here have took those lumps and are assisting others in clearing hurdles. I  wish you the best but this is a rough biz and you may not always get something exactly how you wish to hear it. With all due respect, so far I have not seen one BS response. 

    All of the comments joking around or stating the obvious are NOT helping. I was looking for any out of the box solutions that anyone has done in the past. Like letting her sublease or putting her in a cheaper property (which o offered to do btw). 

    I don’t care if it makes me feel good or not, I was just reaching out for some real world experience besides people suggesting we hook up or that she is trying to get me to lower the rent. Like I said, she’s a good tenant and I would like to keep her if I can. I’m already having to evict someone else this week because he only paid half of his rent. (This person genuinely is trying to get over on me with the “I’ll have it tomorrow, I’ll have it next week” bs).

    I guess I’m just baffled because I was wanting some real world experience from experienced investors on what people have done in the past to keep a good tenant. Not people telling me she’s trying to get me to lower the rent or get in bed with her. maybe I should have worded my topic or question differently, my fault.

    I even said “sounds like I’m losing this one”. As in, she’s leaving because she can’t pay. No where did I suggest I was going to let her live there for free 🤡’s

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Cameron H. She isn't a great tenant anymore if she can't pay the rent. This is the beginning of the end.


     She’s leaving so she can live with her dad and save for a house. Good for her. I guess the “I can’t pay” was an excuse, but she finally leveled with me.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Linda S.:

    @Account Closed,

    This is a slippery slope of complaining, and she is hoping you will lower rent.     Let me just say, of all the tenants I have thought were "great tenants" ... only 10% did I think that after they moved out and I saw the turnover.     90%, I just thought.. oh wow,  all you did was actually pay on time. 

    I'd absolutely let her out of the lease, and suggest she find some place more affordable.   It's not your job to solve her problems.


     See my above comments. Also, she’s never asked me to lower rent, she’s never been late, and I won’t lower rent. I was hoping by posting this that people would have some out of the box solutions besides stating the obvious.


     Tenants don't ask specifically, they hint they will leave if you don't do something.    The only out of the box solution, is to use her deposit this month, and increase her rent $50-100.

  • Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Linda S.:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Linda S.:

    @Account Closed,

    This is a slippery slope of complaining, and she is hoping you will lower rent.     Let me just say, of all the tenants I have thought were "great tenants" ... only 10% did I think that after they moved out and I saw the turnover.     90%, I just thought.. oh wow,  all you did was actually pay on time. 

    I'd absolutely let her out of the lease, and suggest she find some place more affordable.   It's not your job to solve her problems.


     See my above comments. Also, she’s never asked me to lower rent, she’s never been late, and I won’t lower rent. I was hoping by posting this that people would have some out of the box solutions besides stating the obvious.


     Tenants don't ask specifically, they hint they will leave if you don't do something.    The only out of the box solution, is to use her deposit this month, and increase her rent $50-100.


     She’s moving in with dad to save money to buy a house. Either way, topic is closed. Thank you for the tip. I hadn’t thought of that one, but that seems like a slippery slope as well.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Let her out of the lease, don't play ball or entertain this. Real life is hard, make no mistake about it.

    But what's hard for her shouldn't be what's hard for you. Keep it trim, let her out and find a new tenant capable of paying.

    Truth is money is tight for a lot of folks and we'll see rental flat line or decrease cause not many can pay these rates anymore. Growth is not linear, we're about to get a lesson about that.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Help! I have a great tenant.... 

    ....she will be $900 short on rent this month and she says it is getting harder to pay every month.....

    She has never been late or given issues.... (blah, blah, insert bleeding heart here, blah, blah....)

    CORRECTION: She's a HORRIBLE tenant! Full-stop!

    Tenant's have 2 job's, TWO: 
    1- Pay-You're-RENT!
    2- Follow the Rules. 

    So a tenant who doesn't pay is a "Great Tenant".... 

    If you want to run a charity by all means run a charity but don't speak such insanity that letting customers STEAL is ok, it's not. A person goes to fuel station, pumps 20 gal of gas but only has $ to pay for 5gal, what happens???? 


    This answer is simple, yet elegant.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.