Is this the rustic look or just plain ugly?

Is this the rustic look or just plain ugly?

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes

Hello BP!

I need your opinion on the flooring job in my latest acquisition. I pulled carpet and had a local contractor sand/refinish the original wood floors. He tells me this is the best he can get them to look. I can't decide if they are blotchy and ugly or if this will be the kind of irregularity to give the property character.

For context, this is a SFR rental in an older part of town. The house is about 75 years old.

Opinions please!

0Reply
34 views

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    Sorry having trouble posting the picture. Try this link.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/evdyelfzv7kszfu/Flooring.jpg

  • Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
    12y

    Looks good to me. I refinish wood floors whenever I can and always if I allow pets.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    @Jason C. ...It looks like you need to use high gloss poly. Sometimes it takes more coats. If it's a rental, It should be o.k....Tenants mostly use large area rugs..

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason C.

    Looks fine, it is a 75 year old house and has been refinished. They are not going to look perfectly new unless you install new floors.

    The tenants will probably have some area rugs also. An old timer told me that if you want to rent a property keep the hardwoods and never do carpet. (durability).

    What price range is this rental?

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 114 posts · 38 votes
    12y

    I like them. Its personal preference but Id avoid a high gloss finish. Maybe add another coat of poly and shine it up a little bit but I always feel like the high gloss is an out dated look here in Texas

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I think it looks fine. Things typically look different in person, however.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    The floor guy should be able to tell you when he comes what he can and cannot do on a floor. If there is a stain or scratch he should be able to tell you if it is likely to come out or will still show. I just had some fir floors done and the refinisher was quite clear that he would only be able to get some things out and there are some spots where I would have some character. Yours don't look to bad but I am assuming the little greyishness in some areas is reflection from the sun. I don't use high gloss, it accents the flaws. I like a satin finish on this kind of thing.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    @David Krulac

    Rental comps run about 1500 for a three/two, but this is a four bed, and a little larger. I'll probably go a little higher, and see if I get any bites.

    Thanks everybody for the replies. I have been worried about it since yesterday, and I know I can't really pay for more work on these floors on my budget.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Looks fine for average rental.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I think it looks great especially for "real" hardwood.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I would lightly sand,apply some wood conditioner and stain then add poly, they will look awesome.I did my home and had the same problem.Ask for it at Home Depot.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    I think it looks fine as is. Like some PPs have said, unless you replace them 75 year old floors are never going to look brand new and chances are it'll get covered by a rug anyway.

    I think it adds some character to the place too, but that's just me.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I think you're fine here. Any tenant that would have an issue with these floors is going to be awfully picky about everything else too, and might end up being a real PIA.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Jason: was your contractor an experienced floor guy? The floors are fine for a rental. But it doesn't look like the floor was sanded smooth enough as the wood looks rough and porous in the picture (but could be the picture). And it looks like it needs more coats to fill in, not to make glossy but to make it more durable. Do you know how many coats are on it?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    I do not know how experienced this guy was. He seemed like he knew what he was doing, and, unfortunately, I must admit I selected him completely based on his lower price than other bids. I think it could use more coats, but he has already applied the polyurethane finish today. So I think its too late to apply any more stain.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jason C.:
    @Account Closed

    I do not know how experienced this guy was. He seemed like he knew what he was doing, and, unfortunately, I must admit I selected him completely based on his lower price than other bids. I think it could use more coats, but he has already applied the polyurethane finish today. So I think its too late to apply any more stain.

    Interesting. The streaking in the stain isn't bothering me that much. It looks like he choose something darker than oak to stain it with, perhaps to cover imperfections. Did you get at least 3 coats of poly? If not, bring him back. :)

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    Thanks, I just called him and told him we need more coats of poly before he gets paid.

  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 154 posts · 67 votes
    12y

    I think they look fine, especially for Austin where you can get away with a rustic look.

    Don't bring the floors up in conversation when you're showing the house because you might end up sounding uncertain or apologetic about them. If you don't point them out your prospective tenants probably won't even notice them.

    For future reference: don't put stain on old floors unless they're in really good condition. If the surface is uneven or not perfectly sanded the stain will be blotchy and will just accentuate all the problems. Instead, leave the floors their natural color and just use multiple coats of a satin finish polyurethane.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I just refinished floors in a house built in the 1930's , Mine looked like that after 1 coat of semi gloss polyurethane , I didnt like it so I ended up doing 2 more coats . They dont look perfect , but they look good . They will look great when furniture is in the room

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jessica S.:
    I think they look fine, especially for Austin where you can get away with a rustic look.

    Don't bring the floors up in conversation when you're showing the house because you might end up sounding uncertain or apologetic about them. If you don't point them out your prospective tenants probably won't even notice them.

    For future reference: don't put stain on old floors unless they're in really good condition. If the surface is uneven or not perfectly sanded the stain will be blotchy and will just accentuate all the problems. Instead, leave the floors their natural color and just use multiple coats of a satin finish polyurethane.

    I've never had crews stain on any floor refinish job, except for a client that wanted to go with a white wash (over gorgeous maple). I've done enough bad refinish jobs on my own home projects (shelves, dressers) to know that staining is an art and that most wood looks best with just a finish.

    But I've never had them apply less than 3 coats of finish. Takes time, as they usually leave 24 hours in between where I am.

    Regardless, I agree in that you don't have to apologize for those floors. They're fresh and new, not something you see in a rental everyday.

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rolanda Eldridge:
    @Jason C. ...It looks like you need to use high gloss poly. Sometimes it takes more coats. If it's a rental, It should be o.k....Tenants mostly use large area rugs..

    DING DING DING we got a winner. I just did a unit last weekend and they looked like that after a coat of stain and poly. Need to go the gloss route so it looks shiney and new. For rentals this is key, I have gone the satin and semi gloss and just didn't look new enough. Put another coat of high gloss or gloss. Check the bucket of poly he is using.

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    12y

    Here is a red oak stain with satin finish. Blah

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    12y

    Mix of Red Oak with some walnut to give it a darker brown look to hide a few things

    One coat of Gloss Poly yesterday

    Here is the original before we started on Saturday

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    George, how long did you wait between the stain and the poly? How many coats of poly are you doing?

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    12y

    You have to wait at least a day between because I use oil base because it just lasts a lot longer. I waited two days because its winter and heat only set to 55. Sanded and Stained on Saturday, went back on Tuesday to put that first coat of poly. Will go tomorrow and add another coat. I may put one more on Saturday to add up to 3 coats of Poly.

    I have to do the kitchen cabinets next. This is a long term buy and hold in a C area so it doesn't have to be too fancy. The last tenant was in there since 1993. So this place required a lot of TLC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.