I have a neighbor whose dog likes to bark and lunges toward a debilitated fence separating our property line. Currently, I'm placing long poles on the posts at an angle to support the fence. If one day the fence crumples and collapses due to the neighbor's dog lunging toward the fence and I need to repair or replace the fence, how should I discuss with my neighbor? What if I don't want to pay for the full price (e.g. I pay 30% and they pay 70%) of repairing or replacing since if it's their dog's fault for lunging and wrecking the fence, how should I also discuss with my neighbor? Thank you.
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
Thanks. What do you mean by "they may not be willing to even do that."?
Some neighbours won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens, put it on your side of the property line and do whatever you want. Heck you could even paint their side hot pink (I wouldn't suggest that).
@Jacky Johnson
What type of fence do you have that cannot hold up against a dog? What type of dog is it?
Sounds like the fence is in disrepair and should be replaced anyways
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
The tenant needs to control this dog, and you need to have a better fence. You have a debilitated fence-- as a landlord fix that ****.
And firmly let the tenant know he needs to be responsible for his dog.
It's not my tenant's dog, it's my neighbor's dog.
@Jacky Johnson
What type of fence do you have that cannot hold up against a dog? What type of dog is it?
Sounds like the fence is in disrepair and should be replaced anyways
The fence is weak because the rails of the fence is bulging inwards. It's also old because the color has turned grayish or brownish already. The dog is a like a black shepherd. I'm thinking the fence can still holds but may need to be replaced in the future.
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
Thanks. What do you mean by "they may not be willing to even do that."?
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
Thanks. What do you mean by "they may not be willing to even do that."?
Some neighbours won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens, put it on your side of the property line and do whatever you want. Heck you could even paint their side hot pink (I wouldn't suggest that).
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
Thanks. What do you mean by "they may not be willing to even do that."?
Some neighbours won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens, put it on your side of the property line and do whatever you want. Heck you could even paint their side hot pink (I wouldn't suggest that).
I didn't know that some neighbors won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens and I want put it on my side of the property line, do I need to hire a surveyor or someone to assess where exactly my property line is? Thanks.
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
Thanks. What do you mean by "they may not be willing to even do that."?
Some neighbours won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens, put it on your side of the property line and do whatever you want. Heck you could even paint their side hot pink (I wouldn't suggest that).
I didn't know that some neighbors won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens and I want put it on my side of the property line, do I need to hire a surveyor or someone to assess where exactly my property line is? Thanks.
That is the best option or simply ask your neighbour (and get it in writing) that you can put the fence in the same location.
I'd start by talking to your neighbour and asking them to split the cost 50:50 saying that the longevity is reduced because their dog keeps jumping up on it. You are happy to take charge, but they need to pay 50%.
Can the split be like 45:55 for I pay 45% of the cost and my neighbor pays 55% of the cost because it's their dog that is lunging towards the fence when it barks and therefore reducing the fence's longevity?
You can try for whatever, but 50:50 is likely all they will go for. they may not be willing to even do that.
Thanks. What do you mean by "they may not be willing to even do that."?
Some neighbours won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens, put it on your side of the property line and do whatever you want. Heck you could even paint their side hot pink (I wouldn't suggest that).
I didn't know that some neighbors won't pay anything towards replacing a fence. If that happens and I want put it on my side of the property line, do I need to hire a surveyor or someone to assess where exactly my property line is? Thanks.
That is the best option or simply ask your neighbour (and get it in writing) that you can put the fence in the same location.
Call animal control and report an agressive dog
The tenant needs to control this dog, and you need to have a better fence. You have a debilitated fence-- as a landlord fix that ****.
And firmly let the tenant know he needs to be responsible for his dog.
It's not my tenant's dog, it's my neighbor's dog.
Oh tell you neighbor to get ahold of his dog and take evidence of the damage caused. Force them to pay to fix it or fix it yourself and put a lien on his property if you can.
You might wanna think about this in a different way.
Is the dog lunging at the fence when no one is around?
Where's the dog lunging at the fence when someone is on the other side of it?
The difference might be playfulness versus aggression.
If an aggressive dog breaks through that fence it might bite somebody in the backyard.
Just my 2 Cents.
You might wanna think about this in a different way.
Is the dog lunging at the fence when no one is around?
Where's the dog lunging at the fence when someone is on the other side of it?
The difference might be playfulness versus aggression.
If an aggressive dog breaks through that fence it might bite somebody in the backyard.
Just my 2 Cents.
Playfulness might be the dog jumping at the fence because it sees a bird on top of fence or something like that. Aggression might be the dog snarling and barking at the fence but only when someone is on the other side when in reality the dog wishes the fence was not there so it could consume the person on the other side or something like that.
Aggressiveness is the dog really barking and trying to get through the feds to harm someone on the other side.
But if no one is in the backyard and the dog is doing it perhaps maybe it's playful???
Eather way if that dog gets to the fence onto your property you can expect it to bite someone, so fixing the fence to prevent that is probably smart.
Playfulness might be the dog jumping at the fence because it sees a bird on top of fence or something like that. Aggression might be the dog snarling and barking at the fence but only when someone is on the other side when in reality the dog wishes the fence was not there so it could consume the person on the other side or something like that.
Aggressiveness is the dog really barking and trying to get through the feds to harm someone on the other side.
But if no one is in the backyard and the dog is doing it perhaps maybe it's playful???
Eather way if that dog gets to the fence onto your property you can expect it to bite someone, so fixing the fence to prevent that is probably smart.
Yea right now the dog is barking and lunging towards the fence whenever someone else is on the other side, so can I assume this is aggression?
Playfulness might be the dog jumping at the fence because it sees a bird on top of fence or something like that. Aggression might be the dog snarling and barking at the fence but only when someone is on the other side when in reality the dog wishes the fence was not there so it could consume the person on the other side or something like that.
Aggressiveness is the dog really barking and trying to get through the feds to harm someone on the other side.
But if no one is in the backyard and the dog is doing it perhaps maybe it's playful???
Eather way if that dog gets to the fence onto your property you can expect it to bite someone, so fixing the fence to prevent that is probably smart.
Right now the dog is barking and lunging towards the fence whenever someone else is on the other side of the fence, so can I assume this is aggression?
First take two steps back.
Now the fence being dilapidated is both yours and your neighbors responsibility. If the fence was in good condition the dog would not be causing any issues. If anything happens on your property you will get sued because you didn't make sure that the fence was a secure fence when you knew it was dilapidated. The dog owner may or may not be willing to contribute to the cost to fix or replace the fence. I have had neighbors that were willing to go in 50/50 and other neighbors that didn't have any money and were not able to contribute, so I had to pay for all of it. I wouldn't ask for more than 50% an if you get it, be happy that you got 50%. Some people just don't care about back yard fences and there are places where most people have wide open back yards without any fence. Either way the fence needs to be secure.
With the dog's current actions you are making a lot of assumptions. It is normal for a dog, in their own backyard, to be bark and go running to the part of a fence that has a person on the other side of it, and often get on their hind legs with their front paws on the fence. They are protecting their land. This is an inherent action for most dogs. My dogs do this all the time. They are not aggressive dogs at all (border collie mix and long hair chihuahua). If there were not a fence there they would go running to the person to get pet and lick them, but with a fence they bark at anyone walking by.
Perhaps the dog is just being a dog, or perhaps it is an aggressive dog. Either way, you still need to get the fence fixed to protect you tenants and yourself. Even if it is just from a strong wind gust that blows the fence over and it lands on someone.
If anything happens on your property you will get sued because you didn't make sure that the fence was a secure fence when you knew it was dilapidated.
This ^^^
I have a neighbor whose dog likes to bark and lunges toward a debilitated fence separating our property line. Currently, I'm placing long poles on the posts at an angle to support the fence. If one day the fence crumples and collapses due to the neighbor's dog lunging toward the fence and I need to repair or replace the fence, how should I discuss with my neighbor? What if I don't want to pay for the full price (e.g. I pay 30% and they pay 70%) of repairing or replacing since if it's their dog's fault for lunging and wrecking the fence, how should I also discuss with my neighbor? Thank you.
Then call animal control, regardless of your conversation, and document your concerns about the dog.