My wife and I are going to turn our primary residence into a rental.
We are planning to manage it ourselves.
We would live close by.
I am currently reading and watching everything I can about landlording.
Any advice or guidance on the do's and don't of managing a property in DFW?
Here are some important things to consider as a landlord.
Late Rent |
General | -Filters (furnace, air conditioning, oven exhaust, refrigerator, and water) |
HVAC | -Monthly A/C filter and drain line maintenance |
Electrical | -Reset “tripped” GFI breakers |
Plumbing | -Unclog drains or toilets |
Exterior | -Routine lawn (and pool) maintenance |
There’s a lot to consider as a landlord. @Nathan Gesner is correct: getting good landlord education resources is helpful to educate yourself on the variety of legal and practical considerations of property management. Experience will also help to inform your practices and procedures.
Best wishes.
Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice about the management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - tells you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated yearly and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. There is one book for 49 states and a separate book for California.
Here are some important things to consider as a landlord.
Late Rent |
General | -Filters (furnace, air conditioning, oven exhaust, refrigerator, and water) |
HVAC | -Monthly A/C filter and drain line maintenance |
Electrical | -Reset “tripped” GFI breakers |
Plumbing | -Unclog drains or toilets |
Exterior | -Routine lawn (and pool) maintenance |
There’s a lot to consider as a landlord. @Nathan Gesner is correct: getting good landlord education resources is helpful to educate yourself on the variety of legal and practical considerations of property management. Experience will also help to inform your practices and procedures.
Best wishes.
I am in Dallas two and I am managing my own investments myself too since 2017. I have a couple of other investors doing this too and we meet often to share knowledge, you may join us if close.
By the way, I will follow all recommendations as described by other.
I have been self managing for years now, and I started out creating my own leases- I wasn't a realtor at the time. You really want to be confident about who you place in the property, I would rather wait for the right tenant than placing a bad one. You can post on Zillow yourself and you will have to show it or you can hire a realtor and they will show the property for you as well as do further marketing. The agent will also provide a solid TEXAS lease that will hold up in court.
Congratulations on making the decision to turn your primary residence into a rental! Managing your own property can be rewarding but also challenging. Here are a few tips for managing a rental in the DFW area:
Good luck with your new venture! If you ever need professional assistance, don’t hesitate to reach out.