New Rent-to-Rent Setup Advice Needed

New Rent-to-Rent Setup Advice Needed

Wellington, OH · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Greetings,

I am a new member to this site, but I have been perusing the forums for quite some time. I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have contributed to these forums. I have very little background in real estate investing/ land-lording. I assisted my grandfather with his multiple single-family rentals, but they usually had long-term tenants and there wasn't much work involved or lessons to be learned.

I have a new opportunity at hand that would involve me renting houses and then, subsequently, subletting each furnished bedroom on 3-month leases. I've worked the numbers and everything looks positive. Obviously, I would need to find a property owner open to such an agreement, but I could guarantee timely rent payments and possibly provide other incentives to convince a property owner of such an arrangement.

I currently live in Ohio and this opportunity is several states west of me. My questions are: Would I need a real estate license to do this? What areas of such an arrangement would you caution me on? What incentives should I consider to attract an apprehensive property owner? I have really spent a lot of time trying to think this through, but my knowledge is limited and old, frankly. I do have extensive business experience so this isn't my first trek into a P/L-potential enterprise.

I appreciate any advice you can give and I look forward to reading your responses!

1Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    welcome jason

  • Wellington, OH · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks, James.

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    12y

    No, you shouldn't need a license. But you will be managing a property many states away to transient tenants who you are forcing to coexist. The owner may have reservations with this part of the arrangement.

    Why would they agree to this, desperation or more rent than they could get on the open market. or you have to guarantee rent in some way. Or pay a year in advance or something to compensate the owner for the increased risk. This may make it not so good of a deal for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.