Buying to Rent in Indiana - worth it?

Buying to Rent in Indiana - worth it?

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hi! I am new to home buying. I've always worked for myself and didn't have a ton of support so I was not able to prove my income for quite some time due to doing my taxes wrong or not understanding how things work. Now I'm getting ready to start investing in property and I host some rental arbitrage properties on Airbnb. Someone with property in South Bend asked me to help with theirs and I noticed there's a ton of property under $100k there. That's super affordable for me and would be amazing! I wouldn't have to wait longer to prove my income on something that price.

However, I'm wondering if it's a good investment or, like someone told me, "if house prices are that low, you'll likely be in a poor area and not have great tenants." Looking for advice from people who have been in the rental business for a while. Looking for ways to create more passive income for myself.

I guess an additional question is how profitable should I expect a short term rental to be in that area? I have resources I use to get an estimated idea of that, but always good to hear from someone whos already in the game. TIA!

2Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Gloria N GearBusiness Member
Realtor · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 339 votes
1y

Do you live in South Bend?  If so, you should know the areas.  Buy close to Notre Dame and the nicer areas for game days, graduations, and families visiting.  Find a realtor that knows the transitioning areas, there are a lot of "not-so-nice" areas in South Bend that would not work for short term rentals, but there are also plenty of great neighborhoods.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason WrayPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Elizabeth,

    I work with a lot of investors who live on the West Coast or other States and buy heavily in Indiana. Over the last (3) years I have seen some extreme cases of expedited equity where an investor buys an older home or "Ugly Inventory" and then bats clean up on the ARV in 12 months.

    To give you an example I helped an investor refinance her home in 2023 pull cash out to buy a $65K home all cash. She put $40K into the home and it just appraised in September for $285K just outside of Indianapolis. I also see a lot of good deals on 2-4 unit investment rentals priced in favor of the investor.

    All of these seem to have a good price to cash flow ratio when it comes to even long term rentals. STR's can perform even better as you know but its all about location and timing.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Wow that's definitely a great deal! Do you have an examples of ones that have not done as well? Are you a real estate agent?

  • Gloria N GearBusiness Member
    Realtor · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 339 votes
    1y

    Do you live in South Bend?  If so, you should know the areas.  Buy close to Notre Dame and the nicer areas for game days, graduations, and families visiting.  Find a realtor that knows the transitioning areas, there are a lot of "not-so-nice" areas in South Bend that would not work for short term rentals, but there are also plenty of great neighborhoods.

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Elizabeth Ross

    For properties under 100k you will likely need to use the BRRR method as its difficult to get a 30Y loan on a properties valued under 100k. There are plenty of short term rehab loans available that will help with the initial purchase, give you rehab money, and don't have any type of prepayment penalties. Fix the property up to force equity, rent, and refinance with a 30Y loan. This is what the majority of investors are doing.

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thank you so much! I will study this more. This is super helpful insight, I appreciate you!

  • Stephen DiJuliusBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · South Bend, IN · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Hi Elizabeth - broker/owner here in South Bend. We work with investors regularly. Happy to help if you want.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    1y

    @Elizabeth Ross - make sure you are familiar with South Bend - houses for under 100k in South Bend can typically be in pretty rough neighborhoods, so be sure to do your due diligence.  We are closing on our first South Bend rental property next week, as our local market opportunities have become non-existant unfortunately.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.