Why is my unit still vacant?

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

@Victor Tofilski I can't tell you exactly why it hasn't leased yet but I can pick it apart and give you detailed road map of every deficiency I notice and how to correct. 

Fair warning, it might hurt. I don't know your skin thickness but know I do it with love and care for your improvement, there is no insult meant by any of it but fact is we all gotta suck, learn and try again before we get great, right. 

First 2 big things that jump out to me is photos are done wrong. 

Your 1st photo is your Visual HOOK. It's arguably the #1 most important factor to a listing, be it for leasing or selling. It's gotta grab people, draw them in, stop them in there searching tracks. And most often it's the opening of the story. It speaks to the property. 

your 1st pic says "blah....". It speaks to "nothing special here", that's what it conveys. 

Next, your using limited visual range photos. You GOTTA use WIDE-angel photos. many phones have great features for this now, or there is app's for it, or lenses, lens adapters. get something, anything, or buy a new phone that does it. It's a MUST not a should. 

For example, the 2nd to last photo of a random wall and floor with part of open door; what is that supposed to be telling? Or the one before that of a close up of a corner of a white wall.... are you telling the viewer there in the corner? What is the point to that???? 

NEVER put in a photo without purpose. EVERY photo, every one has a specific reason and purpose. No random photos. 

Next BIG item, where is the video walk through????? 

Video is FREE today, so it's epic neglect of duty to not include one. When get unit all set, lights on, door ajar, you go outside to curb view, go to wide-side shot and you start video. You look at the house, look left around neighborhood, look right, and just tour at a normal human speed looking around exactly as any person coming to tour would. 

Make YT channel for rental listings, upload, put in some effort to do it right and add details, links etc, and than post a link to it in your listing. Simple and powerful. 

Lastly is your listing details; they read with all the story telling and excitement of a furnace repair manual. 

No, wordy-wordiness does NOT help but ya gotta have SOMETHING. Tease em with some of the pro's, whats good about this place, whats good about this area. Give em something to be interested in. 

Than, you need to make the details clear and simple. What it has, how much it is, what is minimums to qualify, AND most importantly how to do what you want them to do next, CALL TO ACTION. Give them direction. 

Now if you've followed things this far kudos, and I bet your feeling some lumps. Well, I'm not gonna beat you to leave you sitting there in pain. Here is an example listing to show you how it should be done. Now that I laid out the various details important to a listing, i bet you'll notice and pick em out as you view through this.  https://www.renterswarehouse.com/rental-listings/39331

Now on this listing an important feature to it is the size, not just of the property but the lot, the feeling of big, space, and of semi-secluded. So note that first pic, and yes i did some editing to lighten it etc all via the standard software in pc, nothing special. 

Same with interior pics, I lightened some, lighting is important. And notice the flow. A person get's a sense of walking through via the order and angels of the photos. And when the pic is showing a more limited visual range, notice it's for a reason, I am calling out something via the visual range. 

And I do have the photos at the end by design, because I want a person to end the experience with a specific feeling of "oh wow, look at that, it's got that too", which helps drive conversion. 

In the text notice I have headings for each section, because people HATE reading today so I make it ultra simple to find exactly what one is looking for in less than 3 seconds. And that's a metric I use, navigation in UNDER 3 seconds. I didn't invent this, it's the metrics of online media today. 

Links to video walk through, scheduling showings and to apply. 

And if someone clicks to schedule a showing it has a form to capture there information that goes into a crm that then starts a "prospect tenant" followup campaign including response text instantly to interrupt there search knowing we got there request and check there e-mail where we send followup information, links, directions etc etc. 

If you inquire from Zillow, apartments.com, any of the sites, our site doesnt matter, we capture there data and followup campaigns go into action backed with ai at work that I am ever evolving. 

Now, I share this all to make a point. If your in a market facing off against me as competition to lease a property..... good luck, your gonna need it. 

And I'm not the only one. I mean, some may call me the greatest who's ever been, lol, ok maybe not but a man can dream right. Point is, there is a new bar being set and if your not operating up to it, we are going to make your listing look like crap and perform like crap because were putting this out to the potential tenants and who'd you pursue and choose? The polished hyper responsive ai empowered texting, emailing, no waiting ones, or yours????? 

If you can't perform to the new standard were setting, I strongly suggest stepping back and hiring one of us who are setting this new standard. 

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    time of year .. this is the worse month people dont move at X mas should get better going into first of the year.. starting to high is the kiss of death generally speaking

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y

    Like Jay said, "time of year".  Would you want to move between Thanksgiving and New Years?  Would you want to move right in the beginning of a school year?  The kids sure don't.

    Also, how did you arrive at your rent numbers?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    Contact a couple local PM’s. Ask how much rent they would charge and how much it would cost you. There’s only a few possible results and most of them a positive. 

    They do a better job of advertising at the same rent and you avoid another month of vacancy, paying for themselves. 

    They tell you you’re still priced too high, lower the rent and get it rented, saving you vacancy, paying for themselves. 

    They tell you it’s your advertising and you could actually get more rent with better advertising. 

    As it’s been said thousands of times. It’s the price or the marketing. 

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    It also has been one of the slowest rental cycles this year than almost any that I can remember. No time to start too high, it just creates a slow death and makes the listing stale

  • Rental Property Investor · Hampstead, NC · Member since 2024 · 107 posts · 54 votes
    1y

    Agree with everything said above. Learn from this experience & do some simple calculations to find a good rental rate. $1200 at 1.5 months vacant will yield a greater annual EGI ($12,600) than $1350 with 3 months vacant ($12,150). Let's say you started at $1150 & only had 1 month's vacancy your EGI would be $12,650. You can always increase rent annually. Too many people want the bigger rent but suffer thru vacancy when STARTING at a price a bit lower will produce a greater annual cash flow. 

  • Property Manager · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2024 · 60 posts · 39 votes
    1y

    1. Get professional photos. Download Thumbtack on your phone and get someone from there. It will cost you about $250 for what you need and they will be adequate.

    2. Use one of your free 10 reports on Rentfinder.ai, in addition to the standard comparable analysis from Zillow. Don't exactly use the price Rentfinder.ai gives you, but use the comparable tools they have and the other prices listed. Keep in mind some of the comps are from previous months.

    3. Timing of the year is terrible right now. Keep the faith.

    4. Take a video of the home with your iPhone. Don't talk in the video. Start from the outside, showing a glimpse of the neighborhood then walk throughout the entire house. Create a YouTube account. Create an unlisted YouTube video. Put in your Zillow description that you have a "video tour upon request." Save this YouTube link. Send it to every person who inquires about your property. "Hello! Thanks for contacting me, before your tour, you can watch a video too...." This entire process takes 5 minutes, not including the time it takes to video the home. This has shown to be a huge return on my time.

    5. List on Zillow and Avail and Apartments.com. These will distro your listing to over 25+ sites and get good exposure.

    6. If you have a military base nearby, join a Facebook Group for it and advertise your there.

    7. A lot of people are using "move-in specials" right now. I see you are currently advertising $500 off first month's rent. That sounds about right.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    70 days on Zillow|19 contacts|12 applications

    The 12 people who applied, what happened? Did none of them qualify? Why are they not your tenants? 

    What was the feedback from the people who saw or applied for the unit? Ask them for brutally honest feedback. 

    Given it's in a very low population area, it may just be an extremely slow, low demand rental.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brighton, MI · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    @Greg M.

    Most of them didn’t qualify and the few that did their current leases are up in February.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brighton, MI · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    @Joe Villeneuve

    I’ve had so much interest the last 2 times I’ve listed each unit. The other one I had listed at 1325 and currently have it rented for 1500 on a 6 month lease. That unit is a 2/1, has a deck and is a little bit bigger. The previous tenants were paying 1200 in the vacant unit.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Victor Tofilski:

    @Joe Villeneuve

    I’ve had so much interest the last 2 times I’ve listed each unit. The other one I had listed at 1325 and currently have it rented for 1500 on a 6 month lease. That unit is a 2/1, has a deck and is a little bit bigger. The previous tenants were paying 1200 in the vacant unit.

    What is the size and number of bedrooms for this unit and the previous one you rented for 1500?  How close to eachother are they?
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    @Victor Tofilski I can't tell you exactly why it hasn't leased yet but I can pick it apart and give you detailed road map of every deficiency I notice and how to correct. 

    Fair warning, it might hurt. I don't know your skin thickness but know I do it with love and care for your improvement, there is no insult meant by any of it but fact is we all gotta suck, learn and try again before we get great, right. 

    First 2 big things that jump out to me is photos are done wrong. 

    Your 1st photo is your Visual HOOK. It's arguably the #1 most important factor to a listing, be it for leasing or selling. It's gotta grab people, draw them in, stop them in there searching tracks. And most often it's the opening of the story. It speaks to the property. 

    your 1st pic says "blah....". It speaks to "nothing special here", that's what it conveys. 

    Next, your using limited visual range photos. You GOTTA use WIDE-angel photos. many phones have great features for this now, or there is app's for it, or lenses, lens adapters. get something, anything, or buy a new phone that does it. It's a MUST not a should. 

    For example, the 2nd to last photo of a random wall and floor with part of open door; what is that supposed to be telling? Or the one before that of a close up of a corner of a white wall.... are you telling the viewer there in the corner? What is the point to that???? 

    NEVER put in a photo without purpose. EVERY photo, every one has a specific reason and purpose. No random photos. 

    Next BIG item, where is the video walk through????? 

    Video is FREE today, so it's epic neglect of duty to not include one. When get unit all set, lights on, door ajar, you go outside to curb view, go to wide-side shot and you start video. You look at the house, look left around neighborhood, look right, and just tour at a normal human speed looking around exactly as any person coming to tour would. 

    Make YT channel for rental listings, upload, put in some effort to do it right and add details, links etc, and than post a link to it in your listing. Simple and powerful. 

    Lastly is your listing details; they read with all the story telling and excitement of a furnace repair manual. 

    No, wordy-wordiness does NOT help but ya gotta have SOMETHING. Tease em with some of the pro's, whats good about this place, whats good about this area. Give em something to be interested in. 

    Than, you need to make the details clear and simple. What it has, how much it is, what is minimums to qualify, AND most importantly how to do what you want them to do next, CALL TO ACTION. Give them direction. 

    Now if you've followed things this far kudos, and I bet your feeling some lumps. Well, I'm not gonna beat you to leave you sitting there in pain. Here is an example listing to show you how it should be done. Now that I laid out the various details important to a listing, i bet you'll notice and pick em out as you view through this.  https://www.renterswarehouse.com/rental-listings/39331

    Now on this listing an important feature to it is the size, not just of the property but the lot, the feeling of big, space, and of semi-secluded. So note that first pic, and yes i did some editing to lighten it etc all via the standard software in pc, nothing special. 

    Same with interior pics, I lightened some, lighting is important. And notice the flow. A person get's a sense of walking through via the order and angels of the photos. And when the pic is showing a more limited visual range, notice it's for a reason, I am calling out something via the visual range. 

    And I do have the photos at the end by design, because I want a person to end the experience with a specific feeling of "oh wow, look at that, it's got that too", which helps drive conversion. 

    In the text notice I have headings for each section, because people HATE reading today so I make it ultra simple to find exactly what one is looking for in less than 3 seconds. And that's a metric I use, navigation in UNDER 3 seconds. I didn't invent this, it's the metrics of online media today. 

    Links to video walk through, scheduling showings and to apply. 

    And if someone clicks to schedule a showing it has a form to capture there information that goes into a crm that then starts a "prospect tenant" followup campaign including response text instantly to interrupt there search knowing we got there request and check there e-mail where we send followup information, links, directions etc etc. 

    If you inquire from Zillow, apartments.com, any of the sites, our site doesnt matter, we capture there data and followup campaigns go into action backed with ai at work that I am ever evolving. 

    Now, I share this all to make a point. If your in a market facing off against me as competition to lease a property..... good luck, your gonna need it. 

    And I'm not the only one. I mean, some may call me the greatest who's ever been, lol, ok maybe not but a man can dream right. Point is, there is a new bar being set and if your not operating up to it, we are going to make your listing look like crap and perform like crap because were putting this out to the potential tenants and who'd you pursue and choose? The polished hyper responsive ai empowered texting, emailing, no waiting ones, or yours????? 

    If you can't perform to the new standard were setting, I strongly suggest stepping back and hiring one of us who are setting this new standard. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    @Victor Tofilski I can't tell you exactly why it hasn't leased yet but I can pick it apart and give you detailed road map of every deficiency I notice and how to correct. 

    Fair warning, it might hurt. I don't know your skin thickness but know I do it with love and care for your improvement, there is no insult meant by any of it but fact is we all gotta suck, learn and try again before we get great, right. 

    First 2 big things that jump out to me is photos are done wrong. 

    Your 1st photo is your Visual HOOK. It's arguably the #1 most important factor to a listing, be it for leasing or selling. It's gotta grab people, draw them in, stop them in there searching tracks. And most often it's the opening of the story. It speaks to the property. 

    your 1st pic says "blah....". It speaks to "nothing special here", that's what it conveys. 

    Next, your using limited visual range photos. You GOTTA use WIDE-angel photos. many phones have great features for this now, or there is app's for it, or lenses, lens adapters. get something, anything, or buy a new phone that does it. It's a MUST not a should. 

    For example, the 2nd to last photo of a random wall and floor with part of open door; what is that supposed to be telling? Or the one before that of a close up of a corner of a white wall.... are you telling the viewer there in the corner? What is the point to that???? 

    NEVER put in a photo without purpose. EVERY photo, every one has a specific reason and purpose. No random photos. 

    Next BIG item, where is the video walk through????? 

    Video is FREE today, so it's epic neglect of duty to not include one. When get unit all set, lights on, door ajar, you go outside to curb view, go to wide-side shot and you start video. You look at the house, look left around neighborhood, look right, and just tour at a normal human speed looking around exactly as any person coming to tour would. 

    Make YT channel for rental listings, upload, put in some effort to do it right and add details, links etc, and than post a link to it in your listing. Simple and powerful. 

    Lastly is your listing details; they read with all the story telling and excitement of a furnace repair manual. 

    No, wordy-wordiness does NOT help but ya gotta have SOMETHING. Tease em with some of the pro's, whats good about this place, whats good about this area. Give em something to be interested in. 

    Than, you need to make the details clear and simple. What it has, how much it is, what is minimums to qualify, AND most importantly how to do what you want them to do next, CALL TO ACTION. Give them direction. 

    Now if you've followed things this far kudos, and I bet your feeling some lumps. Well, I'm not gonna beat you to leave you sitting there in pain. Here is an example listing to show you how it should be done. Now that I laid out the various details important to a listing, i bet you'll notice and pick em out as you view through this.  https://www.renterswarehouse.com/rental-listings/39331

    Now on this listing an important feature to it is the size, not just of the property but the lot, the feeling of big, space, and of semi-secluded. So note that first pic, and yes i did some editing to lighten it etc all via the standard software in pc, nothing special. 

    Same with interior pics, I lightened some, lighting is important. And notice the flow. A person get's a sense of walking through via the order and angels of the photos. And when the pic is showing a more limited visual range, notice it's for a reason, I am calling out something via the visual range. 

    And I do have the photos at the end by design, because I want a person to end the experience with a specific feeling of "oh wow, look at that, it's got that too", which helps drive conversion. 

    In the text notice I have headings for each section, because people HATE reading today so I make it ultra simple to find exactly what one is looking for in less than 3 seconds. And that's a metric I use, navigation in UNDER 3 seconds. I didn't invent this, it's the metrics of online media today. 

    Links to video walk through, scheduling showings and to apply. 

    And if someone clicks to schedule a showing it has a form to capture there information that goes into a crm that then starts a "prospect tenant" followup campaign including response text instantly to interrupt there search knowing we got there request and check there e-mail where we send followup information, links, directions etc etc. 

    If you inquire from Zillow, apartments.com, any of the sites, our site doesnt matter, we capture there data and followup campaigns go into action backed with ai at work that I am ever evolving. 

    Now, I share this all to make a point. If your in a market facing off against me as competition to lease a property..... good luck, your gonna need it. 

    And I'm not the only one. I mean, some may call me the greatest who's ever been, lol, ok maybe not but a man can dream right. Point is, there is a new bar being set and if your not operating up to it, we are going to make your listing look like crap and perform like crap because were putting this out to the potential tenants and who'd you pursue and choose? The polished hyper responsive ai empowered texting, emailing, no waiting ones, or yours????? 

    If you can't perform to the new standard were setting, I strongly suggest stepping back and hiring one of us who are setting this new standard. 

    Wow, take a breath, based on what you wrote here you've earned it.  You should teach a class on "How to Lease a Property".  Seriously.  Record a podcast or two (or more).  Do a series with each focused on the different things you mentioned.  I don't know if this means anything to you, but if you did, I'd send people to it in a heartbeat. 
  • Member since 2022 · 23 posts · 29 votes
    1y

    @Victor Tofilski

    My instant advice after seeing this are:

    1. The photos of the listing are brutal. Hire a photographer and stop trying to be one.

    2. December and Jan are the least attractive times of year to move for a variety of reasons

    If you get a good application with Feb move in, take it. And from now on make sure your leases don't end in the winter months.

  • Real Estate Agent · Long Island · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 38 votes
    1y

    Hi Victor, I got a chance to look at your photos.  I think the time of the year certainly plays a role.  I am learning that firsthand as well and honestly, you just have to take it for what it is.  Are you marketing this property yourself?  I would suggest maybe seeking the assistance of a real estate salesperson who could give you accurate market comparisons for the area, add to the description, and most importantly, take photos that will better highlight your property.  You will definitely get more leads this way that will certainly put the right tenants at your door.  That is important too.  I may not offer $500 the first month's rent.  This may invite tenants who may negotiate the rent further down with you and you don't want to be put in that position either.  It's one thing to fill the vacancy, but it is another thing to get a quality who is committed to staying at your property by paying on time and not put you in any uncomfortable position.  

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Number 1 reason for non-rental is $ price of rent, second is the season, I say the season is Thanksgiving to Super Bowl. And here in PA, the new buying/renting season starts the first day the temp hits 60 degrees, sometime in FEB or MAR. It like people wake up, just like the groundhog and feel that spring is just around the corner. I've been renting a long time and never gave TV or appliances, but on rare occasion have done 13th month FREE. We've used Craiglist, Zillow, and MLS to list vacant rentals. (MLS/Realtor.com is propogated to more than 30 other websites.)

    David Krulac

    Bigger Pockets Podcast #82  

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Victor Tofilski Zillow only shows 3 active rental in Pickney right now, so not a lot of competition.

    Given that, wouldn't worry about your pics and such - but, the advice given by others you should implement going forward.

    As others have also said, Nov-Feb is worse 4 months of the year to have a vacancy.
    - LESSON: don't allow leases to end during these months!
    We do 13-15 months leases all the time.

    Would advise you to focus on getting your property more online exposure!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    Great advice above! I would just add this - do not get desperate and rent it to someone who doesn't qualify.....it's better to have it sit empty than to have a bad tenant get in there......

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    @Victor Tofilski I can't tell you exactly why it hasn't leased yet but I can pick it apart and give you detailed road map of every deficiency I notice and how to correct. 

    Fair warning, it might hurt. I don't know your skin thickness but know I do it with love and care for your improvement, there is no insult meant by any of it but fact is we all gotta suck, learn and try again before we get great, right. 

    First 2 big things that jump out to me is photos are done wrong. 

    Your 1st photo is your Visual HOOK. It's arguably the #1 most important factor to a listing, be it for leasing or selling. It's gotta grab people, draw them in, stop them in there searching tracks. And most often it's the opening of the story. It speaks to the property. 

    your 1st pic says "blah....". It speaks to "nothing special here", that's what it conveys. 

    Next, your using limited visual range photos. You GOTTA use WIDE-angel photos. many phones have great features for this now, or there is app's for it, or lenses, lens adapters. get something, anything, or buy a new phone that does it. It's a MUST not a should. 

    For example, the 2nd to last photo of a random wall and floor with part of open door; what is that supposed to be telling? Or the one before that of a close up of a corner of a white wall.... are you telling the viewer there in the corner? What is the point to that???? 

    NEVER put in a photo without purpose. EVERY photo, every one has a specific reason and purpose. No random photos. 

    Next BIG item, where is the video walk through????? 

    Video is FREE today, so it's epic neglect of duty to not include one. When get unit all set, lights on, door ajar, you go outside to curb view, go to wide-side shot and you start video. You look at the house, look left around neighborhood, look right, and just tour at a normal human speed looking around exactly as any person coming to tour would. 

    Make YT channel for rental listings, upload, put in some effort to do it right and add details, links etc, and than post a link to it in your listing. Simple and powerful. 

    Lastly is your listing details; they read with all the story telling and excitement of a furnace repair manual. 

    No, wordy-wordiness does NOT help but ya gotta have SOMETHING. Tease em with some of the pro's, whats good about this place, whats good about this area. Give em something to be interested in. 

    Than, you need to make the details clear and simple. What it has, how much it is, what is minimums to qualify, AND most importantly how to do what you want them to do next, CALL TO ACTION. Give them direction. 

    Now if you've followed things this far kudos, and I bet your feeling some lumps. Well, I'm not gonna beat you to leave you sitting there in pain. Here is an example listing to show you how it should be done. Now that I laid out the various details important to a listing, i bet you'll notice and pick em out as you view through this.  https://www.renterswarehouse.com/rental-listings/39331

    Now on this listing an important feature to it is the size, not just of the property but the lot, the feeling of big, space, and of semi-secluded. So note that first pic, and yes i did some editing to lighten it etc all via the standard software in pc, nothing special. 

    Same with interior pics, I lightened some, lighting is important. And notice the flow. A person get's a sense of walking through via the order and angels of the photos. And when the pic is showing a more limited visual range, notice it's for a reason, I am calling out something via the visual range. 

    And I do have the photos at the end by design, because I want a person to end the experience with a specific feeling of "oh wow, look at that, it's got that too", which helps drive conversion. 

    In the text notice I have headings for each section, because people HATE reading today so I make it ultra simple to find exactly what one is looking for in less than 3 seconds. And that's a metric I use, navigation in UNDER 3 seconds. I didn't invent this, it's the metrics of online media today. 

    Links to video walk through, scheduling showings and to apply. 

    And if someone clicks to schedule a showing it has a form to capture there information that goes into a crm that then starts a "prospect tenant" followup campaign including response text instantly to interrupt there search knowing we got there request and check there e-mail where we send followup information, links, directions etc etc. 

    If you inquire from Zillow, apartments.com, any of the sites, our site doesnt matter, we capture there data and followup campaigns go into action backed with ai at work that I am ever evolving. 

    Now, I share this all to make a point. If your in a market facing off against me as competition to lease a property..... good luck, your gonna need it. 

    And I'm not the only one. I mean, some may call me the greatest who's ever been, lol, ok maybe not but a man can dream right. Point is, there is a new bar being set and if your not operating up to it, we are going to make your listing look like crap and perform like crap because were putting this out to the potential tenants and who'd you pursue and choose? The polished hyper responsive ai empowered texting, emailing, no waiting ones, or yours????? 

    If you can't perform to the new standard were setting, I strongly suggest stepping back and hiring one of us who are setting this new standard. 

    Wow, take a breath, based on what you wrote here you've earned it.  You should teach a class on "How to Lease a Property".  Seriously.  Record a podcast or two (or more).  Do a series with each focused on the different things you mentioned.  I don't know if this means anything to you, but if you did, I'd send people to it in a heartbeat. 

    Thanks Joe, I truly appreciate that, both in sentiment and direction. 

    I have had thoughts and considerations of doing such a thing for some time but wondered would it be something worth doing, as in people would use it, find value in it, enough to offset the time and investment of self into creating and maintaining it. 

    My Achilles heel has been I know literally nothing of the A/V side of it all. Doing edu systems n all that jazz like YT. My knowledge is so centric to the doing, it's just a new aspect of it all. And as I say it here, it feels like an excuse...... 

    Thanks Joe, you helped really press some buttons of next level thoughts and considerations on this. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:
    Quote from @James Hamling:

    @Victor Tofilski I can't tell you exactly why it hasn't leased yet but I can pick it apart and give you detailed road map of every deficiency I notice and how to correct. 

    Fair warning, it might hurt. I don't know your skin thickness but know I do it with love and care for your improvement, there is no insult meant by any of it but fact is we all gotta suck, learn and try again before we get great, right. 

    First 2 big things that jump out to me is photos are done wrong. 

    Your 1st photo is your Visual HOOK. It's arguably the #1 most important factor to a listing, be it for leasing or selling. It's gotta grab people, draw them in, stop them in there searching tracks. And most often it's the opening of the story. It speaks to the property. 

    your 1st pic says "blah....". It speaks to "nothing special here", that's what it conveys. 

    Next, your using limited visual range photos. You GOTTA use WIDE-angel photos. many phones have great features for this now, or there is app's for it, or lenses, lens adapters. get something, anything, or buy a new phone that does it. It's a MUST not a should. 

    For example, the 2nd to last photo of a random wall and floor with part of open door; what is that supposed to be telling? Or the one before that of a close up of a corner of a white wall.... are you telling the viewer there in the corner? What is the point to that???? 

    NEVER put in a photo without purpose. EVERY photo, every one has a specific reason and purpose. No random photos. 

    Next BIG item, where is the video walk through????? 

    Video is FREE today, so it's epic neglect of duty to not include one. When get unit all set, lights on, door ajar, you go outside to curb view, go to wide-side shot and you start video. You look at the house, look left around neighborhood, look right, and just tour at a normal human speed looking around exactly as any person coming to tour would. 

    Make YT channel for rental listings, upload, put in some effort to do it right and add details, links etc, and than post a link to it in your listing. Simple and powerful. 

    Lastly is your listing details; they read with all the story telling and excitement of a furnace repair manual. 

    No, wordy-wordiness does NOT help but ya gotta have SOMETHING. Tease em with some of the pro's, whats good about this place, whats good about this area. Give em something to be interested in. 

    Than, you need to make the details clear and simple. What it has, how much it is, what is minimums to qualify, AND most importantly how to do what you want them to do next, CALL TO ACTION. Give them direction. 

    Now if you've followed things this far kudos, and I bet your feeling some lumps. Well, I'm not gonna beat you to leave you sitting there in pain. Here is an example listing to show you how it should be done. Now that I laid out the various details important to a listing, i bet you'll notice and pick em out as you view through this.  https://www.renterswarehouse.com/rental-listings/39331

    Now on this listing an important feature to it is the size, not just of the property but the lot, the feeling of big, space, and of semi-secluded. So note that first pic, and yes i did some editing to lighten it etc all via the standard software in pc, nothing special. 

    Same with interior pics, I lightened some, lighting is important. And notice the flow. A person get's a sense of walking through via the order and angels of the photos. And when the pic is showing a more limited visual range, notice it's for a reason, I am calling out something via the visual range. 

    And I do have the photos at the end by design, because I want a person to end the experience with a specific feeling of "oh wow, look at that, it's got that too", which helps drive conversion. 

    In the text notice I have headings for each section, because people HATE reading today so I make it ultra simple to find exactly what one is looking for in less than 3 seconds. And that's a metric I use, navigation in UNDER 3 seconds. I didn't invent this, it's the metrics of online media today. 

    Links to video walk through, scheduling showings and to apply. 

    And if someone clicks to schedule a showing it has a form to capture there information that goes into a crm that then starts a "prospect tenant" followup campaign including response text instantly to interrupt there search knowing we got there request and check there e-mail where we send followup information, links, directions etc etc. 

    If you inquire from Zillow, apartments.com, any of the sites, our site doesnt matter, we capture there data and followup campaigns go into action backed with ai at work that I am ever evolving. 

    Now, I share this all to make a point. If your in a market facing off against me as competition to lease a property..... good luck, your gonna need it. 

    And I'm not the only one. I mean, some may call me the greatest who's ever been, lol, ok maybe not but a man can dream right. Point is, there is a new bar being set and if your not operating up to it, we are going to make your listing look like crap and perform like crap because were putting this out to the potential tenants and who'd you pursue and choose? The polished hyper responsive ai empowered texting, emailing, no waiting ones, or yours????? 

    If you can't perform to the new standard were setting, I strongly suggest stepping back and hiring one of us who are setting this new standard. 

    Wow, take a breath, based on what you wrote here you've earned it.  You should teach a class on "How to Lease a Property".  Seriously.  Record a podcast or two (or more).  Do a series with each focused on the different things you mentioned.  I don't know if this means anything to you, but if you did, I'd send people to it in a heartbeat. 

    Thanks Joe, I truly appreciate that, both in sentiment and direction. 

    I have had thoughts and considerations of doing such a thing for some time but wondered would it be something worth doing, as in people would use it, find value in it, enough to offset the time and investment of self into creating and maintaining it. 

    My Achilles heel has been I know literally nothing of the A/V side of it all. Doing edu systems n all that jazz like YT. My knowledge is so centric to the doing, it's just a new aspect of it all. And as I say it here, it feels like an excuse...... 

    Thanks Joe, you helped really press some buttons of next level thoughts and considerations on this. 

    I used to be there.  Then I wrote 3 books, became the person in charge of education in my REI and had to produce presentations every month (at least 2) for it, and before I knew it,...
    It's not as hard as you think, at least it was for me.  I found out a few tricks to doing it.  If you're interested, let me know and we can discuss this.
    As far as value to this group (and others) goes, the answer is a most definite "yes".  Think of the value this has for you, and where you were before you put together your system.  Every REI starts where you did, and even some veteran investors are still there.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 46 votes
    1y

    "19 contacts|12 applications" You have 19 leads and 12 applications.

    Text each one of them:

    Hi this is Victor with ___ Ave

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/LINK

    Would you like to see this property tomorrow after 3pm or Wednesday before 430pm?

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 125 votes
    1y

    Time of year I can't get anything rented if my life depended on it right now and I have lots of vacants. Its also been very slow the whole year 

  • Property Manager · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2012 · 99 posts · 40 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Victor Tofilski:

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3290-E-M-36-APT-2-Pinckne... had this unit listed over 2 months I started out too high at 1350. Its been vacant for 21 days now

    I’ve had it down to 1200 for weeks and just added $500 off first months rent.

    Does anyone have any other tips?


    I didn't read all the replies but I did look at your link. I think the property is a nice property for renters. Seems clean, visually appealing and somewhat updated. Cannot tell location or amenities, etc. However, I think the photos could be improved. It is challenging in the winter months as people tend to focus on the holidays, shopping, dinners, parties, etc. It was also an election year which makes it even harder. So for the photos:

    1) The floor is dark. I would have an extra light on a stand to brighten the spaces.

    2) Your first photo is of an empty room to a doorway. Are there any windows in this home? It is a bizarre choice for a "headline" photo.

    3) Kitchen seems to be galley, hard to shoot, but you should consider a result that does not portray a cramped space - which is what I get looking at these.

    4) wide angle. I don't think you used a wide angle which pretty much every camera phone has. Taking pics of the bedrooms where you see the door/doorway makes the room itself look tiny.

    5) video might help here though my camera does not have a wide angle video option.

    Summary: most people won't read descriptions first. They will look at pics and move on if visually they aren't interested

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    November through February is the worst time to rent in most of the country. Sounds like you are on the right track in offering incentives. 


    You should also be well versed in the local vacancy rates and how they effect your unit and turnover times. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brighton, MI · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    @Joe Villeneuve

    The other unit was a unique circumstance the tenant only needed a place for 6 months before he moves again so I gave him a different price to account for future vacancy. I originally priced based on comps of renovated small multifamily properties in my area (there wasn’t a lot at the time). I’ve been renovating my live in flip and didn’t put enough effort when I first listed the property. It was so easy the first couple times I didn’t think I’d need to. Lesson learned.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Victor Tofilski:

    @Joe Villeneuve

    The other unit was a unique circumstance the tenant only needed a place for 6 months before he moves again so I gave him a different price to account for future vacancy. I originally priced based on comps of renovated small multifamily properties in my area (there wasn’t a lot at the time). I’ve been renovating my live in flip and didn’t put enough effort when I first listed the property. It was so easy the first couple times I didn’t think I’d need to. Lesson learned.

    OK.  What are the exact square footages of each property?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.