Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 26 votes
I used to use another service for tenant screening but recently started listing my apartments on apartment.com. Well the SSN and birthdate are partially obfuscated when looking over the applications. Do you suggest not using services like this or gathering that information on your own? I'm realizing that I need a SSN to collect on the debts/judgements.
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
You need SSN and birthdate in order to try and collect a debt, if need be.
I collect that information directly on my application. I've always found the background check services do not do a thorough job so I always overlay that service with my own gumshoe due diligence (talking directly to immediate supervisors, ensuring the previous "landlord" owns the property, checking social media, etc.).
Never rely exclusively on these services. They do not have any skin in the game and are just automating the process of searching various databases. No one will care more about your tenant placement than you.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
1y
@Corey G. Not needed to file court cases. Needed only to report negative information to credit bureau. Best to use a rent collection service that keeps the SSN on file.
@Corey G. Not needed to file court cases. Needed only to report negative information to credit bureau. Best to use a rent collection service that keeps the SSN on file.
Do you have any that you would suggest because I don't currently use one and wouldn't know which companies keep that on file?
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
You need SSN and birthdate in order to try and collect a debt, if need be.
I collect that information directly on my application. I've always found the background check services do not do a thorough job so I always overlay that service with my own gumshoe due diligence (talking directly to immediate supervisors, ensuring the previous "landlord" owns the property, checking social media, etc.).
Never rely exclusively on these services. They do not have any skin in the game and are just automating the process of searching various databases. No one will care more about your tenant placement than you.
You need SSN and birthdate in order to try and collect a debt, if need be.
I collect that information directly on my application. I've always found the background check services do not do a thorough job so I always overlay that service with my own gumshoe due diligence (talking directly to immediate supervisors, ensuring the previous "landlord" owns the property, checking social media, etc.).
Never rely exclusively on these services. They do not have any skin in the game and are just automating the process of searching various databases. No one will care more about your tenant placement than you.
Most of them apply directly online and the applications has a screening tied in. The tenant pays it directly. I don't even use a physical application anymore and the screening company I used previously required that I pay and then I collected a fee from the tenant. This makes it a lot easier. I collect a birthdate when I get a copy of the ID. I'm thinking it may just be easier to get the social from the tenant directly.
I use leaseRrunner, I tell the prospective tenant to set it up and pull the report, then sends me an email where I can log in to look at it online and print it out. Full credit report, everything. I like it. I don't use them for anything else except credit report. Social ssn should be on your application before anything happens.
I use leaseRrunner, I tell the prospective tenant to set it up and pull the report, then sends me an email where I can log in to look at it online and print it out. Full credit report, everything. I like it. I don't use them for anything else except credit report. Social ssn should be on your application before anything happens.
Does that site show the full social or is it the last 4? Apartments.com seems to only display the last 4.
I use leaseRrunner, I tell the prospective tenant to set it up and pull the report, then sends me an email where I can log in to look at it online and print it out. Full credit report, everything. I like it. I don't use them for anything else except credit report. Social ssn should be on your application before anything happens.
Does that site show the full social or is it the last 4? Apartments.com seems to only display the last 4.
Yes. You start a landlord account. Then your applicant pays for the report and allows you to see it.
Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 534 posts · 204 votes
1y
Hey Corey,
Good question — a lot of landlords run into this with the newer online platforms. They’re convenient, but the downside is you often don’t get the full SSN or DOB for your records.
If you ever need to collect on a debt or get a judgment enforced (like garnishing wages), having the full SSN and birthdate makes things much easier for your attorney or collection agency. So it’s smart to have it in your files before you hand over the keys.
One option is to keep using the online screening for convenience, but add your own rental application as well — even a simple one-page PDF — that collects the info you need (full legal name, SSN, DOB, emergency contacts, etc.). Many landlords do this and then verify the info by checking ID.
Just make sure you store it securely — shred paper copies when they’re no longer needed and keep digital files encrypted or password-protected.
Hope that helps — it’s extra work upfront but saves you headaches down the road if you ever need to track someone down for unpaid rent.
Good question — a lot of landlords run into this with the newer online platforms. They’re convenient, but the downside is you often don’t get the full SSN or DOB for your records.
If you ever need to collect on a debt or get a judgment enforced (like garnishing wages), having the full SSN and birthdate makes things much easier for your attorney or collection agency. So it’s smart to have it in your files before you hand over the keys.
One option is to keep using the online screening for convenience, but add your own rental application as well — even a simple one-page PDF — that collects the info you need (full legal name, SSN, DOB, emergency contacts, etc.). Many landlords do this and then verify the info by checking ID.
Just make sure you store it securely — shred paper copies when they’re no longer needed and keep digital files encrypted or password-protected.
Hope that helps — it’s extra work upfront but saves you headaches down the road if you ever need to track someone down for unpaid rent.
Yeah I think I need to make something like that and collect it myself.
Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 534 posts · 204 votes
1y
That’s a good move. Having your own application ensures you get all the info you might need down the line, especially if you ever have to pursue collections or verify identity. Just make sure you store it securely and clearly explain to applicants how their info will be protected. It’s a small step now that can save a lot of hassle later.
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix Tempe Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 55 votes
1y
I use Rentperfect
They collect this information and store in there system (most important part) i can login and gather the info should I ever need it at a later time.
They are part private investigator which has come in handy over the years for tenants with names that are common. You can actually get someone on the phone to clarify if a background check comes back bad but the prospect claims its not true - I have had 2 multi year tenants from this that I would have otherwise denied.
Disclaimer: they do not work on weekends which can delay results
Lancaster, NY · Member since 2021 · 92 posts · 53 votes
1y
You’re right to pause here, having a full SSN is critical for proper screening and future collections if a judgment ever needs to be filed. Many “free” or bundled platforms mask key identifiers, which limits your ability to verify identity or pursue recovery later.
When screening, think of it as your first line of defense against rental risk, not just a box to check. Reports that cost only a few dollars often skip deeper searches and rely on automated data. That can miss things like civil judgments or liens, which no longer appear on credit reports but can still indicate financial red flags.
Your best move is to collect this information yourself through a secure application process and use a screening provider that includes those additional searches (credit, criminal, eviction, and public records like judgments/liens). It’s worth paying a few extra dollars for verified, human-reviewed data, it can save you thousands in future headaches.