Why regular walkthroughs will save you money - Real Life Story!

Why regular walkthroughs will save you money - Real Life Story!

Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

As a landlord, I take pride in having great tenants and well-maintained properties in strong locations. But funny enough, that stability can sometimes work against me. When things are going smoothly, it’s easy to get comfortable and overlook the importance of checking in on properties. Honestly, if it weren’t for my routine walk-throughs, I could probably go years without setting foot in some of them. That might sound like an investor’s dream, but in reality, it can be dangerous.

Not every tenant knows how to spot or handle maintenance issues. Routine walk-throughs aren’t about snooping on tenants—they’re about catching small problems before they snowball. For example, a minor roof leak might only cost a few hundred dollars to patch today, but if ignored, it could turn into a full replacement later.

I recently ran into this exact situation with a water heater. I decided to do a walk-through at one of my properties that I hadn’t visited in a while. Almost immediately, I noticed something odd with the vinyl flooring seams—they looked dirty and damp. The tenant mentioned he couldn’t get the seams clean, even though he pays for a monthly cleaning service.

Within 20 seconds of inspecting, I opened the water heater closet and discovered it had been leaking for some time. It wasn’t gushing, but the slow leak had seeped under the flooring, into the baseboards, and even the sheetrock. Luckily, the damage wasn’t severe. I called my plumber right away, and fortunately, the unit was still under warranty. It was a $2,000 high-efficiency water heater, but it only cost me about $600 for labor and a new expansion tank. I then set up a heavy-duty dehumidifier and fans to dry everything out, and after some time the seams were clean again.

If I had put off that walk-through, the damage could’ve been much worse—both structurally and financially. I also noticed some loose tiles during that visit, which reminded me to buy extra replacements now in case the style gets discontinued. That way, if I need to replace a few pieces later, it’s a quick, inexpensive job instead of redoing an entire floor.

The lesson here: just because you haven’t heard from your tenants doesn’t mean everything is fine. Schedule routine walk-throughs. They can save you thousands in the long run.

Happy landlording!

Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
View Page
5Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Another plus of local investing and overseeing your farm. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Ft. Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 40 votes
    1y

    I’m with you on this, Alan.

    For me, the pain wasn’t just maintenance, it was deposits. More than once, I had a tenant move out and hit me with, “It was like that when I moved in.” Same thing mid-lease. Stains, busted blind, cracked tile… whatever. And without proof? Just their word against mine. I'm ashamed to admit, I ended up eating it a few times.

    Now I do it differently:

    • Move-in: pics, quick video, checklist, both of us sign off. borderline stuff gets noted.

    • Routine checks: not to snoop, just to catch stuff early and have a time-stamped trail.

    • Move-out: side by side with move-in docs—no gray area anymore.

    I got so tired of juggling random pics/notes/folders that I finally started building a little mobile app for myself to keep it organized. My old way was a mess, and it cost me.

    Inspections aren’t “busywork.” They protect your wallet.

    Oh, and +1 on stashing extra tile. I keep a box in the AC closet so I’m not scrambling years later when the style’s discontinued.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I know recommend to all of my clients to shoot a detailed video of the place before and after. Video quality on phones is so good nowadays that it will catch everything. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Another plus of local investing and overseeing your farm. 

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 203 votes
    1y

    This is such a great reminder, Alan.

    Routine walkthroughs not only help catch maintenance issues early but also show tenants that the landlord is proactive and cares about the condition of the home, which often leads to better care from the tenant as well.

    Something as simple as a slow leak under a kitchen sink, if unnoticed, can lead to major repairs like replacing cabinets or subflooring. A quick walkthrough can be the difference between a minor fix and a major expense.

    Lesson learned: a short visit today can prevent thousands of dollars in damage tomorrow.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
    • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      This is such a great reminder, Alan.

      Routine walkthroughs not only help catch maintenance issues early but also show tenants that the landlord is proactive and cares about the condition of the home, which often leads to better care from the tenant as well.

      Something as simple as a slow leak under a kitchen sink, if unnoticed, can lead to major repairs like replacing cabinets or subflooring. A quick walkthrough can be the difference between a minor fix and a major expense.

      Lesson learned: a short visit today can prevent thousands of dollars in damage tomorrow.


       Agreed, my tenants actually don't mind at all and know that I am not snooping in on them. They are thankful I come in and address issues swiftly if I see them!

      Its really important to catch things early before they snowball and turn into a bigger mess...

      Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
      View Page
  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 203 votes
    1y

    Thanks, @Alan Asriants. Yes, it’s always better to catch something when it’s small rather than after it’s done damage.

    I hear you on the concerns about out-of-state investing. That’s where having reliable boots on the ground becomes essential, whether it’s a property manager or a trusted handyman who can give you honest feedback during routine check-ins. Even periodic video walkthroughs can help bridge that gap.

    The key is having a system in place so issues don’t slip through the cracks. It might take a bit more coordination, but it’s definitely doable with the right team.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
    • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      Thanks, @Alan Asriants. Yes, it’s always better to catch something when it’s small rather than after it’s done damage.

      I hear you on the concerns about out-of-state investing. That’s where having reliable boots on the ground becomes essential, whether it’s a property manager or a trusted handyman who can give you honest feedback during routine check-ins. Even periodic video walkthroughs can help bridge that gap.

      The key is having a system in place so issues don’t slip through the cracks. It might take a bit more coordination, but it’s definitely doable with the right team.

      Yes thats the goal, however it is really difficult to find that reliability when you don't live there, know the people there, and how things work there. Even in my home town you'll get burned by contractors, management companies, realtors, etc. 

      I would say if you're OOS investing, you need to be proficient in that area

      Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
      View Page
  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 203 votes
    1y

    Even in familiar markets, it’s not always easy to know who to trust, so going into a new area without strong local connections makes it that much harder.

    Building a solid team takes time, but being intentional about vetting contractors, managers, and agents can really pay off. Local recommendations, checking licenses, and asking detailed questions during interviews can help filter out a lot of the noise.

    Out-of-state investing definitely requires a higher level of organization and due diligence, but with the right systems and people in place, it can still be very manageable.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.