Should I install washer and Dryer

Should I install washer and Dryer

Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 12 votes

I am renting an apartment in a complex that has washer and dryer normally installed in each unit but this unit I am purchasing does not have one. I know its one of those appliances that breaks down frequently. Should I install one or have the tenants pay for one and requiring them to have a professional installation? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

3Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Ricardo R.Pro Member
Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
11mo

Hey Mei,

If every other unit in the complex already has a washer and dryer, I’d go ahead and install one. Tenants will notice if yours doesn’t — and that can make it harder to rent or force you to drop the price just to stay competitive.

Yeah, washers break sometimes, but honestly, they’re not a nightmare if you buy decent mid-range ones. I’d rather replace a $500 machine every few years than deal with leaks or bad installs from tenants trying to hook up their own.

Plus, you can usually bump rent by $50–$75/month with in-unit laundry, which pays it off pretty quick. So I’d just do it right, own it, and keep control over the install and maintenance; Mei I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you a DM on BP, it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ricardo R.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
    11mo

    Hey Mei,

    If every other unit in the complex already has a washer and dryer, I’d go ahead and install one. Tenants will notice if yours doesn’t — and that can make it harder to rent or force you to drop the price just to stay competitive.

    Yeah, washers break sometimes, but honestly, they’re not a nightmare if you buy decent mid-range ones. I’d rather replace a $500 machine every few years than deal with leaks or bad installs from tenants trying to hook up their own.

    Plus, you can usually bump rent by $50–$75/month with in-unit laundry, which pays it off pretty quick. So I’d just do it right, own it, and keep control over the install and maintenance; Mei I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you a DM on BP, it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you.

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
    11mo

    @Mei Zhu Hey, so if the majority of the comparable units are renting with a washer and dryer, tenants will more than likely expect this to be the case for your unit. Not including one could push you into the non-commital zone when renters are making a decision, or force you to lower your rents to stay competitive. You can always purchase a mid-range unit and note in the lease that tenants are responsible for misuse/damage. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo

    Definitely install a washer & dryer.  

    Things to keep in mind:  1. clean the dryer vents right through to the exterior exit.  2. make sure the tenant is paying for water and electric--if not, boost the rent to compensate for your higher utility bills. 3. have it professionally installed. 4. install an electronic leak detector. 5. make sure your lease explicitly states your appliance condition and repair rules (whatever they may be).

  • Property Manager · OK · Member since 2024 · 98 posts · 74 votes
    11mo

    If I were you, I would put the washer/dryer in myself, and here is why: as you mentioned, almost every unit in the complex includes one, and without it, you clearly have a disadvantage. It will be difficult to get good tenants, and you may have to significantly lower the rent on your unit. 

    Tenants expect the basic amenity of a washer/dryer. Asking them to purchase and have professionally installed major appliances, over which you have no legal control, adds a huge hurdle; the best tenants will skip your unit simply because of that! Sure, appliances may break (plan for repairs!), but the initial investment will pay itself back out in higher rent, having your unit occupied sooner, and tenants will be happier long-term! 

    When tenants have to purchase the units themselves, it creates friction with them to actually purchase the units, installation headaches for you, and it may make your unit the least desirable of the bunch. Instead, look at it as an investment in the competition of your unit.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo

    @Mei Zhu Honestly I have yet to have a washer or dryer break down. If I am installing them I buy a mid level set that has no electronic control components. These are the most expensive parts to repair and most frequent to break. In my past business of owning B&Bs I had 3 sets of basic dial machines. The first two lasted over 20 years running 7 loads apiece each day, sometimes more. The 3rd set did well for 15 years and then the dryer had a few issues. We were able to troubleshoot it, order the pats online and repaired it following YouTube videos. Total cost about $40.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo

    @Mei Zhu  It depends, on rent price range, size of unit.  For most houses we provide washer and dryer hookups, but usually not the appliances themselves. If the previous owner or previous tenants have left washer and dryer, we will leave them with the written acknowledgment in the lease that the existing washer and dryer will NOT be repaired or replaced, but will be removed, if the tenant requests.  For a luxury condo/apartment we usually have supplied washer and dryers, and sometimes for a standard apartment also, but some apartments just don't have the room or the facilities for washer and dryer.  In some multi-units we have had laundry facilities in the common basement. 

  • Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    11mo

    thank you to everyone who responded. This is truely helpful. I think I am going to purchase one to stay competitive and purchase it with 8 year insurance from PC richards. They said they would fix at no cost, as often as needed and replace the machine if it cannot be fixed. I will have a piece of mind knowing exactly how much i have to invest in the next 8 years. What do you think?

  • Kyle HendricksPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2021 · 170 posts · 74 votes
    11mo

    100% yes.

  • Member since 2024 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    11mo

    thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.