How New Landlords Can Handle Tenants Who Intentionally Damage Their Unit

How New Landlords Can Handle Tenants Who Intentionally Damage Their Unit

Property Manager · Atlanta · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 28 votes

As landlords, you may eventually encounter a tenant who seems to damage something every month right after paying rent. It can be frustrating, but here’s how I handled a similar situation in the past.

I noticed a pattern with one of my tenants and suspected the damages weren’t accidental. Instead of reacting emotionally, I stayed professional. I thanked the tenant for reporting the maintenance issues and documented everything. Then, I kindly explained that it might be best for both sides if she provided a 60-day notice to vacate so my team could make the necessary repairs.

It worked. The tenant decided to move out, and I was able to place a new resident who truly appreciates living in the apartment . Sometimes, staying calm, professional, and proactive is the best way to protect your property and your peace of mind.

5Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
10mo
Quote from @Lakita Woodson:

As landlords, you may eventually encounter a tenant who seems to damage something every month right after paying rent. It can be frustrating, but here’s how I handled a similar situation in the past.

I noticed a pattern with one of my tenants and suspected the damages weren’t accidental. Instead of reacting emotionally, I stayed professional. I thanked the tenant for reporting the maintenance issues and documented everything. Then, I kindly explained that it might be best for both sides if she provided a 60-day notice to vacate so my team could make the necessary repairs.

It worked. The tenant decided to move out, and I was able to place a new resident who truly appreciates living in the apartment . Sometimes, staying calm, professional, and proactive is the best way to protect your property and your peace of mind.


 Agree. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Be professional and keep emotions out of it. I am dealing with someone right now who is letting emotions take over and it never ends well when that occurs. 

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 222 posts · 161 votes
    11mo

    A great way to handle the situation.  I can see how this would clarify the real intentions and/or move them along 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Lakita Woodson:

    As landlords, you may eventually encounter a tenant who seems to damage something every month right after paying rent. It can be frustrating, but here’s how I handled a similar situation in the past.

    I noticed a pattern with one of my tenants and suspected the damages weren’t accidental. Instead of reacting emotionally, I stayed professional. I thanked the tenant for reporting the maintenance issues and documented everything. Then, I kindly explained that it might be best for both sides if she provided a 60-day notice to vacate so my team could make the necessary repairs.

    It worked. The tenant decided to move out, and I was able to place a new resident who truly appreciates living in the apartment . Sometimes, staying calm, professional, and proactive is the best way to protect your property and your peace of mind.


     Agree. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Be professional and keep emotions out of it. I am dealing with someone right now who is letting emotions take over and it never ends well when that occurs. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    10mo

    I completely agree that maintaining a calm and professional approach is essential in these situations. I've also found it incredibly helpful to involve third-party vendors to assess any damage. Their unbiased evaluations can make it much clearer whether an issue falls under tenant responsibility or landlord maintenance.
    This approach helps to prevent disputes and ensures transparency for all parties involved. Combining thorough documentation with impartial assessments truly goes a long way in protecting both your property and your peace of mind.

  • Property Manager · Atlanta · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 28 votes
    10mo

    Chris, I hope things work out. Continue to stand your ground and stand firm.

  • Property Manager · Atlanta · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 28 votes
    10mo

    Charles, yes, I have not had another tenant like that one!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.