Hi there, looking for guidance on renting our rental house to a business instead of a normal tenant. The business wants to house their employees. Can I use a "standard" lease agreement and just put the business name ? How do you do a background type check ? Anything like renters insurance they should carry? Any resources, lessons learned, or advice would be so helpful .
Property Manager · Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
3mo
We manage a property with similar - though not exact - circumstances. It is rented by an organization that helps get victims of domestic abuse into a safe house. The lease is with the organization who conducts their own background checks on the individuals living in the property. If the business is putting their employers in the house, they most likely would have done the same during the hiring process. It's been very fruitful for us for years.
Hi there, looking for guidance on renting our rental house to a business instead of a normal tenant. The business wants to house their employees. Can I use a "standard" lease agreement and just put the business name ? How do you do a background type check ? Anything like renters insurance they should carry? Any resources, lessons learned, or advice would be so helpful .
So, how about I create a brand new LLC and then use it to rent your house?
I then house my "employees", which will really be STR guests that throw crazy parties that result in police calling you about and writing you a ticket.
See the potential problem(s)?
Unless the company is on the Fortune 5,000 list, you'll probably want:
1) Someone from the company to personally cosign 2) Run a background check on the company 3) Run a background check on the personal cosigner.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3mo
Business proposes employee Jim Smith live there. You do a background check on Jim Smith and if everything is OK, you rent it to him with the business being a cosigner and both responsible for the rent.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 558 posts · 326 votes
3mo
I've never treated that type of arrangement exactly the same as a traditional residential lease.
A few things I'd want to clarify upfront:
• Who is legally responsible for the rent?
• Who is authorized to occupy the property?
• How often might occupants change?
• Who is responsible for damages caused by employees or guests?
• What insurance requirements are in place?
If a company is leasing the property, I'd want the business entity on the lease, but I'd also consider whether additional guarantees are appropriate depending on the size and financial strength of the company.
I'd also be paying close attention to occupancy limits and making sure the lease clearly addresses who can live there. Employee housing can create more turnover and wear and tear than a typical long-term tenancy if multiple people rotate through the property.
Before signing, I'd probably do some due diligence on the company itself:
• How long have they been in business?
• Do they have a local presence?
• Can they provide references?
• Are they financially stable?
One lesson I've learned is that the more clearly expectations are documented upfront, the fewer surprises there are later.
Hi there, looking for guidance on renting our rental house to a business instead of a normal tenant. The business wants to house their employees. Can I use a "standard" lease agreement and just put the business name ? How do you do a background type check ? Anything like renters insurance they should carry? Any resources, lessons learned, or advice would be so helpful .
Hi, Shon! Renting to a business that houses employees is pretty common and can work out well, but I'd be careful about using a standard residential lease without modifications. In many cases, landlords use a corporate lease where the business is the tenant, while also identifying the occupants who will be living in the property. I'd want to verify the company's legitimacy, review their business history, and confirm who is authorized to sign on behalf of the company. Depending on the situation, some landlords also request a personal guaranty from an owner or officer of the business for additional protection. As for insurance, I'd definitely require proof of liability coverage from the company and make sure the lease clearly states who is responsible for damages caused by occupants. I'd also confirm occupancy limits, maintenance responsibilities, and procedures for employee turnover since the people living there may change over time. One lesson I've learned is to spend extra time upfront defining expectations in writing, because it can prevent a lot of confusion later if different employees rotate through the property.
Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 625 posts · 456 votes
3mo
Renting to a business (corporate lease) works, but it's different from a regular tenant Shon. A few key things:
Use a commercial or corporate lease, not your standard residential one. The business is the tenant, not the individuals living there. Have an attorney review it, it should name the business as lessee with a signed personal guarantee from an officer of the company.
Screen the business, not the people. Pull a Dun & Bradstreet report, check their EIN, years in business, and ask for bank references. Verify they're actually registered and in good standing with the state. The employees living there aren't your tenants, the business is.
Require they list you as additional insured on their commercial general liability policy ($1M minimum). They should also carry property/contents coverage for their employees. Your landlord policy still covers the structure.
Get a larger deposit, 2 months is reasonable for corporate housing. They turn over employees often and wear on the property is usually higher.
Spell out occupancy limits, no subletting, and what happens if they stop using the property as employee housing. Also clarify who handles utilities, lawn care, and maintenance.
Honestly the biggest risk isn't payment (companies usually pay on time), it's wear and tear from rotating occupants who don't have skin in the game. Price the rent accordingly, corporate leases typically run 10-20% above market for that reason.